A ride around Dumfries & Galloway

Stew

After a few days of 40-50 mphs winds and lashing rain, the sun appeared.
So the bike came out of it's bed for a wee 30 minute ride, which ended up being around 4 hours.

One of those rides where you come across great wee roads, just by taking turns you haven't before. I found some excellent twisty bits with decent tarmac, and a few times had the bike through bends absolutely perfectly, and oh my, what a rush. I had an absolute blast.
Ended up on a few single track gravel roads, super twisty up and down, but with such a narrow road and really tight corners with high trees and hedges all around I was just bimbling along wishing it was a closed road so I could have more of a go at it without embedding myself in a tractor or a horse's rear end.

It's a long time since I just went for a ride, rather than going somewhere.

Here's a couple of wee photos, to highlight a couple of nice spots I came across...

The one with the boat is at a wee village called Palnackie.

The other is Dundrennan  Abbey, built in the 11th century.

Palnackie.jpg

Dundrennan Abbey.jpg

Dundrennan Abbey 2.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

I was born in Dumfries and my mother's side of the family still lives in Annan.

My parents met during the construction of Chapelcross.

Unfortunately I haven't been in the area since 1982 and I never had a chance to ride around the area on a bike but I am sure that the landscape lends itself to great rides, weather permitting!

• Thumbsup 1

hiya @andz  It is a great part of Scotland, but most tourists etc. drive right past to head to the highlands. Which, being selfish, suits me just fine , as it keeps the roads from getting busy.  Every time I go out I find more and more great bits of road, and there is so little traffic around it is almost like I have the place to myself at times :)

If you want any photos of anywhere , or info, just let me know. I am originally from Glasgow, so I am still discovering the area.

And aye, the weather can be rubbish at times, but thats what keeps it green and fertile.

• Thumbsup 2