• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Oh. My. God. It works! It really works! Permanent bluetooth ODB2 connectivity!

Update: Bought another 4 pin to OB2 adapter from a different vendor but still no luck getting connection to the ECU. 

Was hoping my first adapter was bad it looks like it's not. 

Hopefully someone who has made it work can respond.

• Premium Member

I can't connect to my 2015 ECU either?!

Maybe it's the cable but have not tried another yet.

Most of the cables I've seen say it works on 2016+ but that does not explain others here have 16s where it's not working?

Some help out there?

I bought the the OBD MX+ directly from OBD Link for $99 including shipping, and it works great on my 06 Mazda 3S using their app (not Torque).

FYI, it has now gone up to $120 on their website!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, wildcard75 said:

Update: Bought another 4 pin to OB2 adapter from a different vendor but still no luck getting connection to the ECU. 

Was hoping my first adapter was bad it looks like it's not. 

Hopefully someone who has made it work can respond.

-I may be mistaken- but I thought the reader was only compatible with 2017 and newer models. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

-I may be mistaken- but I thought the reader was only compatible with 2017 and newer models. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If so, I may not have gotten one because I have an ancient but functional OBD 2 reader.

However the app is really cool to run down the road in my Mazda with it going.  I even bought a 16-pin extension cable so I could have the MX+ on the seat next to me rather than up under the dash; don't know why but did...

has anyone got one working on a 15 and/or 16???

• Thumbsup 1

I received my MX+ and adaptor cable yesterday....worked immediately on my '19 GT and F-150. Maybe the older bikes require a cable with a different pinout, or just don't do this at all?  I really like tinkering with stuff, and love the modern conveniences like heated grips and cruise control....... but on the other hand I stillmiss the simplicity of my 2005 FZ1 sometimes. :)

• Thumbsup 1

They work on everything with odb2, though with bikes you generally need an adapter cable that's (afaik) manufacturer specific. 

So useful to diagnose problems - the code reader functionality is literally the least interesting thing they do, like a small aside.  

But honestly, 99% of the time, I'm just using mine because it's neat!

On 10/13/2021 at 11:58 AM, betoney said:

Correct. 2015-2016 still have DIAG mode which is much easier to just access via the instrument cluster. OBD II readers won’t work. 

-Skip

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, skipperT said:

Correct. 2015-2016 still have DIAG mode which is much easier to just access via the instrument cluster. OBD II readers won’t work. 

-Skip

I knew that but don't know enough to understand why an OBD II also will not work? 

On 10/22/2021 at 7:37 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

I knew that but don't know enough to understand why an OBD II also will not work? 

Because they don't have odb2 support in the ecu at all I'd assume.  Cars have had OBD2 mandated since the late 90's iirc, but it's a very new requirement for bikes.

It's a good thing overall as it forces compatibility between brands (not needing different equipment for everything) but on the flip side, you need equipment (a full obd2 reader like the ScanTool, vs just a code reader) to get at diagnostic information you had access to without anything in diag mode.

3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Then why the same OBD II plug as on later years that connect to the adapter??

The new OBD motorcycle “standard” is actually a red 6 pin connector that looks like this:

The 4P white Yamaha connector allows a person with the Yamaha Diagnostic Software to connect to the bike. 

as Wintersdark mentioned, the ECM has to have programming in it that allows it to recognize an OBD II device. 2015-2016 models do not.  And on that note, only certain functions are available via the YDT (for 15-16’s)

it’s not a conspiracy against you, 2and3, I promise… 😉

-Skip

08954B89-4F7A-4640-A483-185E2886BB39.jpeg

Edited by skipperT

On 10/23/2021 at 4:50 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

Thanks!

Did not think Big Brother was messing with just me. 🙃

Is it possible to reprogram the 15 & 16 ECU to connect with the 4 pin and if so, wire in a standard 6 pin plug?

Good question. I don’t know the answer, but I suspect not.
TWDW or someone familiar with the code inside and/for flashing ecm’s may know. 

-S

• Thumbsup 1