Tank panniers suggestions sought

rustyshackles

• Premium Member
On 8/12/2020 at 3:38 PM, rustyshackles said:

Anyone know of a design that will work with the pointy tank?  I’ve considered the Aerostich but ruled it out.

I'm interested in this too.

I got a couple of Wolfman dry bags that I can strap to my crash bars. Sorry I don't have a better photo, but you can see one here. The Wolfman dry bags are nice because they incorporate straps, so they can be easily secured in various places. I use it for heavy tools so the weight is lower and near the COG. If you have some crash bars this might be a good option.

I plan to stop by Aerostich next week, and I'm going to try to see if their tank panniers will fit the FJ.

2020_0813_09120000~2.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I stopped by Aerostich today and briefly tested their tank panniers. Although I think they are mainly intended for unfaired bikes, I think they can be made to work on the Tracer.

I didn't spend much time getting them dialed in because the dry bag I have attached to my crash bar was sort of in the way, and it's a huge pain to remove/reinstall. But the photos below should give some idea.

The Aerostich panniers have a huge amount of adjustability in the cross-tank straps. I could have made the straps a lot wider to get the bags sitting lower. The only real downside is that with the straps far enough back to clear the forks they partially cover the fuel filler. I expect this can be worked around but it's something to consider.

2020_0827_06324600.jpg

2020_0827_06330100.jpg

2020_0827_06330900.jpg

2020_0827_06325100.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
17 hours ago, keithu said:

2020_0827_06330100.jpg

Good lord your handlebar/cockpit is busy, reminds me of the Little Mermaid lyrics...

I've got gadgets and gizmos aplenty
I've got whosits and whatsits galore
You want thingamabobs?
I got twenty
But who cares?
No big deal
I want more... 😄

• Haha 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, betoney said:

I've got gadgets and gizmos aplenty

I've got whosits and whatsits galore
You want thgamabobs?
I got twenty
But who cares?
No big deal
I want more... 😄

Are you sure that's the Little Mermaid?

I had two boys in the '90s so admittedly we watched a lot more "Lion King" and "Land Before Time."

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, keithu said:

Are you sure that's the Little Mermaid?

I had two boys in the '90s so admittedly we watched a lot more "Lion King" and "Land Before Time."

Ha- yeah it was about 5 years before Lion King.  My kids watched it a few times a day, completely wore the VHS tape out.  Since it was ALWAYS playing in the background I had most of the dialog and lyrics memorized... 🙄

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***