Joined the Dark Side

On 8/23/2020 at 6:37 PM, keithu said:

Enjoy!

Although I thought you meant something else by this post. In the Iron Butt circle "going to the dark side" means putting a car tire on your rear wheel.

This.  I was all ears, what car tire fits?!

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 8/23/2020 at 6:37 PM, keithu said:

Enjoy!

Although I thought you meant something else by this post. In the Iron Butt circle "going to the dark side" means putting a car tire on your rear wheel.

I've got more than 200,000 miles on two Wings with a runflat car tire.  Best tire for an 1800 by far.

• Premium Member
On 7/17/2021 at 8:42 AM, peteinpa said:

What car tire fits which bike, are you asking?  I can give you the info on a Wing but not the KTM or really any other bike. 

• Premium Member
On 7/17/2021 at 5:42 AM, peteinpa said:

Not sure, but I'm sure this information is out there. 180/55-17 is just about the most common rear tire size for motorcycles so it's a good bet someone has already done it. 

On 7/16/2021 at 4:02 PM, captainscarlet said:

Well it's been 12 months and I am still delighted with my choice.  The 1290 is a brilliant bike and is just right for what I want from a bike at the moment.  Much like the Tracer the engine is absolutely intoxicating although in a different way.  This is my first twin and I must say I'm impressed.  The torque and power seem simply endless.  Since I posted the picture at the start of this thread I have made some minor additions/changes.  

I have fitted a black Arrow silencer; the looks and sound are so much better than the original.  I've also fitted KTM original crash bars, an Outback Motortek bashplate and a Givi adapter plate for my topbox.  The only other change currently on my to-do list is the screen which, like the Tracer's, is crap generating a lot of noise and turbulence.

IMG_20210716_211856.jpg

I find the suspension excellent and it is great being able to change settings on the fly.  In fact the whole dashboard is really good with lots of info and easy to navigate.  I have the bike paired to my phone and Cardo headset.  Calls are displayed on the dashboard and can be controlled from the left hand grip.  It also displays turn by turn navigation from my phone on the dash.   

The standard seat is fine for me although, much like this forum, the KTM forums I now frequent are littered with posts complaining about how uncomfortable the standard seat is.  KTM do a comfort seat (with or without heating) which is supposed to be excellent.

Fuel range is great, depending on riding style and I have seen just short of 400km before needing to fill up.  Should be a great touring bike.

No complaints or niggles so far.  The only thing I don't like compared to the Tracer is the extra weight when moving it around the driveway.  It's not that much heavier than the Tracer, but the extra weight is noticeable.

CS

Boy I sure hope you have better luck with yours than my buddy did with his, it was in the shop more than in his garage and out on the road......but yes very bad ass machine when all is well.