Front sprocket

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, chris wilkins said:

Hi I have a habit of down tooting the front sprocket on my bikes,  does anyone have any experience in doing this on a Tracer? I'm wondering if it will become too flighty in A mode with this done? Is the standard sprocket 17 tooth?

The stock gearing on the FJ/Tracer is 16 - 45.   We've had several members go either up or down one tooth on the front, depending on what they're looking to achieve.  Most of the people that have gone down one tooth to the 15 - 45 combination have been pleased with the result:   More responsive around town, but not too busy on the highway.   These CP3 motors like to rev, so unless your chasing a really relaxed highway ride, you'll probably like the one tooth shorter gearing on the countershaft. 

• Thumbsup 1

I went up to a 17 front cause I wanted less revs above 70 mph, which is exactly what I got.

Now the bike (FJ) is more subdued around town and that's fine by me.

You can drop to a 15 and still use stock length chain (110 links).

I'd suggest a damped sprocket to reduce noise and drivetrain stress / lash.

Swapping sprockets is easy and you can reuse the sprocket nut if you lift the depressed areas of the skirt it very carefully before attempting to loosen it. I think it requires a 33mm socket and 70 ft lbs.

Do yourself a favor and unbolt the shifter linkage rod before trying to get the plastic primary cover off.

cb

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09