Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
peteinpa

New to me 2015 FJ09 makes whine noise at start-up

Recommended Posts

So mine seems (to me) to have the opposite problem of too loose. Only has 1100 miles. Had the recall done, on it's second tensioner per me doing VIN check.

On cold start up there is a whine at the right side that only gets a little better when warm. Can the OEM CCT push too hard on the chain slider? Will it do damage? can I ride it? 

Do I have to park it till I order an APE manual tensioner? If so which tensioner. A lot of brands out there.

No warantee from where I got it or anywhere.

I want to ride!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@peteinpa - You sure its not the clutch making noise?  The clutches whine on these bikes while the cam chains knock or clatter.


***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a TDM850 the gear box whinnied but bike rode great I sold it running well with 30+k miles on it. 

I now have a 2020 Tracer GT took possession of it with 2 miles on the clock.......it too has a gearbox whine, it's of no concern to me. I think it's just a Yamaha thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not knowing the history of it, is it possible to install it wrong or adjust it wrong, maybe in an attempt to silence the rattle? 

In doing that can it push too hard on the chain slider?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Not knowing the history of it, is it possible to install it wrong or adjust it wrong, maybe in an attempt to silence the rattle? 

In doing that can it push too hard on the chain slider?

My 2015 makes all sorts of noises , I get a whine and whistle from the engine . Runs like a dream though. The clutch in particular sounds like it has dreadful asthma when in neutral with the clutch lever out. It's almost embarrasing :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I'm the A+ anal type and it HAS to be right I ordered an APE PRO $89.95 delivered.

Still don't know if I can ride till I get it. Am I too paranoid?

Edited by peteinpa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Since I'm the A+ anal type and it HAS to be right I ordered an APE PRO $89.95 delivered.

Still don't know if I can ride till I get it. Am I too paranoid?

It's your bike, and none of us have heard the noise.

If it was mine, I'd be riding it though. Take it easy, warm it up properly, then try to focus on the ride, rather than any noise. If I open my visor when riding mine it sounds wierd as anything, whistling, whining, rattling etc. Last week I thought the camchain or valves were busted, as at around 5000 revs there was this horrific clattering noise. (It was the right hand side panel which had magically come loose at the bottom and was hammering off the crash bar :)


But only YOU can decide if you want to ride it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peteinpa said:

Not knowing the history of it, is it possible to install it wrong or adjust it wrong, maybe in an attempt to silence the rattle?

 

10 hours ago, peteinpa said:

On cold start up there is a whine at the right side that only gets a little better when warm.

So is it a whine or a rattle?  Two very different conditions and completely different to diagnose.  As mentioned previously, a whine is common with the clutch and the rattle could be the cam chain tensioner.


***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stew said:

The clutch in particular sounds like it has dreadful asthma when in neutral with the clutch lever out. It's almost embarrasing :)

Your not kidding, when I first got my bike I was on a road trip and when we started the bikes in the hotel parking lot in the morning, a couple of other riders came over and asked "is it supposed to be making that noise?". 🙄

  • Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, betoney said:

Your not kidding, when I first got my bike I was on a road trip and when we started the bikes in the hotel parking lot in the morning, a couple of other riders came over and asked "is it supposed to be making that noise?". 🙄

I know, right :)
hahahaha, I love mine, it's personality, not like those boring Hondas :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's definitely a whine noise.  I am familiar with the manual APE tensioners and the whine when too tight, I just don't know if the whine I'm hearing on my bike is normal or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

It's definitely a whine noise.  I am familiar with the manual APE tensioners and the whine when too tight, I just don't know if the whine I'm hearing on my bike is normal or not.

Record it, and stick it online for folks to hear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I said about the rattle, I meant did the used bike place I got it from play with the CCT to get rid of a rattle and now it's too tight and whines.

I'm barely capable of posting pictures. A video...Never done it.

I'm an old school mechanic not an ITT tech.

 

Edited by peteinpa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

When I said about the rattle, I meant did the used bike place I got it from play with the CCT to get rid of a rattle and now it's too tight and whines.

I'm barely capable of posting pictures. A video...Never done it.

I'm an old school mechanic not an ITT tech.

 

Doubt it..... it’s possible to do, but you’d have to sacrifice an Allen wrench and know what you were doing. 
 

These triples have a characteristic “whine” to them that is worse when cold. The sounds abates slightly as the engine idle comes down and the motor warms. It’s worse on the RH side near the clutch.

Cam chain tensioner whine or whooshing sound (From being too tight) would be much harder to hear over the “whine” we are speaking about I believe. 
-Skip

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


×