Niken GT night riding observations

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member
20 hours ago, knyte said:

Yep, I've experienced this, too.  No matter what kind of adapter you insert, it seems to vibrate out - super annoying.  Could zip-tie it down I guess, but then you wouldn't be able to replace the cover.

My Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S came with the cable to hardwire directly from the battery (easy to install).  This is both good and bad.  It's good because...it was included!!  It's bad because the live traffic receiver is NOT included nor supported in this configuration.  The default motorcycle mount has a two-pin power connector when it's all assembled.  For the traffic updates, there is a seperate power cable that uses a micro-USB cable instead.  Garmin assumes that you will be pairing with your smartphone on your motorcycle, so receives traffic data through the phone.  However, maybe not everyone wants that.  I could install a vehicle mount instead, but then, using a different mount and power connector, there is no protection from rain.  Arg!

I am actually considering getting this Zumo so that info on the traffic alerts is very helpful. Clarification please - so I have to use alternative power wiring for the GPS and bluetooth pair my iPhone to the Zumo in order to get traffic alerts?

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member

If you pair your phone with the Zumo, and your phone has the app installed (Garmin Smartphone Link), your Zumo will get the live traffic updates.  The power cable it comes with is JUST power and super easy to install.

If you want your Zumo in your car, there is an auto mount.  Basically a suction cup mount.  There is an optional power cable that has a receiver built in.  This cable uses a mini-USB cable and can provide live traffic via the built-in receiver.  Of course, you could just use a simple USB-A to mini-USB cable for power and keep using the Smartphone Link app via your phone.  Two different options.

Have a look at the accessories, here:

cf-lg-0a32ad53-ba99-4e68-aa80-930afea9e4

The zūmo® 396 LMT-S motorcycle navigator features a...

• Thanks 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

2 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Looks great! Did you have the option to mount the lights on the outside of the forks instead of the inside? Not sure I can do an iside mount because of my front Niken suspension mechanism. Also did you wire  the lights directly to the battery or did you tap into the headlight wiring?

Outside the forks wouldn’t be possible since the lights were hitting the fairing, maybe lowering the mounts it would have been possible, but it that case I needed the extension cables

there is a fender mount option, but depends on the bike you might need the extension cables.

with the single intensity relay I had to tap only in one cable (i.e. tag light).
There are different ways of setting them up based on what you’re looking for.
I’m buying another switch bc I want the aux lights to be controlled independently without tapping in the stock lights and control them with the stock light controls

• Thumbsup 1

You live more in five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their entire life. "Marco Simoncelli" - Yamaha Tracer 900 '19 - Honda CB650R '19

• Supporting Member
21 hours ago, MrFritz86 said:

Outside the forks wouldn’t be possible since the lights were hitting the fairing, maybe lowering the mounts it would have been possible, but it that case I needed the extension cables

there is a fender mount option, but depends on the bike you might need the extension cables.

with the single intensity relay I had to tap only in one cable (i.e. tag light).
There are different ways of setting them up based on what you’re looking for.
I’m buying another switch bc I want the aux lights to be controlled independently without tapping in the stock lights and control them with the stock light controls

How many wires did you have going to your tail light, what colors were they, and which one did you tap into?  I'm trying to tap into a live tail light wire for my arboreal systems Aurora power distribution module but am unsure as to which wire is the live one. 

D2044BFE-33F1-4ABE-AB97-B70B5AB4E64F.jpeg

FE5E1FDB-C4AE-490B-BE60-6FBA30B1AD06.jpeg

9E79243D-FAB2-4868-826A-F6A610118073.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

I’m pretty sure one will be ground (black), one will be for rear light and one for brake light. In other words, none will be the switched live that your looking for [These are not the droids you are looking for <waves hand>]

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
52 minutes ago, BBB said:

I’m pretty sure one will be ground (black), one will be for rear light and one for brake light. In other words, none will be the switched live that your looking for [These are not the droids you are looking for <waves hand>]

Clarifying question please - my Niken tail lights are always on (not the brake light) when I switch on the ignition - doesn't that mean one of the wires is always live? I think I'm missing something on what it means to be a live wire...

2019 Niken GT

Yep, sorry, one must be switched live then. I think you said you’ve tried yellow, so it must be blue.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

6 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

How many wires did you have going to your tail light, what colors were they, and which one did you tap into?  I'm trying to tap into a live tail light wire for my arboreal systems Aurora power distribution module but am unsure as to which wire is the live one. 

I’ll get back to you once I get home later today
Busy with a customer atm

You live more in five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their entire life. "Marco Simoncelli" - Yamaha Tracer 900 '19 - Honda CB650R '19

13 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Ok on the Tracer I tapped on the tail light which is the connector with 2 cables

black is ground as you can see, and tapped the white/red I have a different connection bc I have a aftermarket plate mount now

where the OEM cable was brown to blue on the tail light

so this is a live wire when turning the key on

6EC187C8-4349-45F5-97D2-07DBE46CD50C.jpeg

922AAC14-95D1-4F2F-8043-81D2418F35B4.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
On 9/24/2020 at 10:49 PM, MrFritz86 said:

Ok on the Tracer I tapped on the tail light which is the connector with 2 cables

black is ground as you can see, and tapped the white/red I have a different connection bc I have a aftermarket plate mount now

where the OEM cable was brown to blue on the tail light

so this is a live wire when turning the key on

6EC187C8-4349-45F5-97D2-07DBE46CD50C.jpeg

922AAC14-95D1-4F2F-8043-81D2418F35B4.jpeg

Ok so you only have two cables to pick from for your taillight. For some reason I've got three cables (brown, yellow and black) before they hit a connector where they change colors on me (black, yellow and blue) before going to the tail light. I already tried to tap yellow and that didn't work, so it must be brown. Will try that next for my live wire once my shipment of positaps arrive . Thank you!

2019 Niken GT

5 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Ok so you only have two cables to pick from for your taillight. For sure reason I've got three cables (brown, yellow and black) before they hit a connector where they change colors on me (black, yellow and blue) before going to the tail light. I already tried to tap yellow and that didn't work, so it must be brown. Will try that next for my live wire once my shipment of positaps arrive . Thank you!

I would suggest you get a multimeter, it’s inexpensive and will definitely help you a lot in many situations 
In this case you would have had already found the live wire
However, most of the time brown would be the positive, so it must be it

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, MrFritz86 said:

I would suggest you get a multimeter, it’s inexpensive and will definitely help you a lot in many situations 
In this case you would have had already found the live wire
However, most of the time brown would be the positive, so it must be it

Is brown normally positive wire on motorcycles or is this specific to Yamaha?

2019 Niken GT

41 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

Is brown normally positive wire on motorcycles or is this specific to Yamaha?

Electronically speaking, brown / white / red are positive, black/ blue /green are ground/negative 
Then there are mixed colors (or numbered wires) to be distinguished 

Also buy a service book, that will help you a lot with the wiring diagrams, other stuff as well

Edited by MrFritz86
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey I was able to take some pics of the Denali DM at night

consider that I’m running the single intensity relay (full intensity) with just the on/off switch atm

I set one with the spot lens and the other with the flood

as you can see it really lights up the sides of the road with the flood and down the road with the spot

bKr4QGm.jpeg?fb

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, MrFritz86 said:

Hey I was able to take some pics of the Denali DM at night

consider that I’m running the single intensity relay (full intensity) with just the on/off switch atm

I set one with the spot lens and the other with the flood

as you can see it really lights up the sides of the road with the flood and down the road with the spot

bKr4QGm.jpeg?fb

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

That looks so much better than stock. I didn't know you could get one flood one driving light configuration - did you specify that during  ordering?

2019 Niken GT