Advice Needed - Low idle/stalling

angrygirafe

Glad to hear the news, @angrygirafe

you mentioned that some of the vacuum caps were torn, that will certainly cause an erratic idle. Following that logic, I’d do like Pete suggested above - but simply check the sync screws first. Maybe wind them ALL in gently until they stop, then Sync the throttle bodies per the book, using the white painted one as standard (if it has the lowest vacuum reading). Usually the standard one is all the way in from the factory. You could also wind the standard one out approx 1/8 to 1/4 turn and sync from there and see how it operates. 

excess carbon build-up on the plates and throttle body innards can cause an erratic idle, and tight valves or improper cam timing can as well. 

-Skip

6 hours ago, peteinpa said:

How's the starting cold and hot?

I'm wondering about a full TB clean, especially the idle control circuits.

Cold start is great. Hot start is a little weak, and seems to  require a little throttle. I know my BIL cleaned the TBs, and actually has a whole extra YCCT unit he was intending to install but didn’t get to. 

5 hours ago, skipperT said:

Glad to hear the news, @angrygirafe

you mentioned that some of the vacuum caps were torn, that will certainly cause an erratic idle. Following that logic, I’d do like Pete suggested above - but simply check the sync screws first. Maybe wind them ALL in gently until they stop, then Sync the throttle bodies per the book, using the white painted one as standard (if it has the lowest vacuum reading). Usually the standard one is all the way in from the factory. You could also wind the standard one out approx 1/8 to 1/4 turn and sync from there and see how it operates. 

excess carbon build-up on the plates and throttle body innards can cause an erratic idle, and tight valves or improper cam timing can as well. 

-Skip

Right now the weather looks like I might be able to check it out this weekend. Hopefully. It’ll definitely be a learning experience since I haven’t done throttle bodies before. Really hoping it’s not valves/timing though. 

• Like 1

Rain came early this week, so no tear down this weekend. I am almost through a tank with the Ring Free shock treatment and things were much better today. Yamaha recommends 2oz per gallon and something like 60 gallons for a full treatment. Well, I put 8 ounces in a full tank, and I’ll do the last 4 ounces in the next tank. Probably won’t treat 60 gallons worth at that ratio though. 

I rode close to 100 miles today between commuting and my lunch break, trying to stay over 6k rpms. Which was easy coming home, since I was chasing a Repsol down the freeway, and he wasn’t shy about using that throttle. Man, those things are quick!

But I only had idle issues maybe 25% of the time today, almost none on the way home, and they ALL CORRECTED within a couple seconds. Even at the long lights. I’m hesitant to say that the Ring Free is fixing it, but it was hot out (107F), the bike was hot, and this is way better than a couple days ago. 

I’ll polish off the bottle in the next tank, and might do one more before changing the oil if it continues to improve over the next tank. I hope so.