T-Rex luggage rack

Just got this great rack last week and wow it’s nice. Didn’t have any reviews and couldn’t find anybody else who had one. It was $139.95 and well worth it. Fits with a Givi cargo pod and Givi spacer (I got the rack only). Has plenty of tie down points and is super solid. Would highly recommend this for anyone wanting more space for longer trips. You’re able to keep the stock hand rails as well.

E245C12D-6323-4783-AA87-F85A30D8AFAD.jpeg

6CE79286-B6AF-4EBF-845C-FAEA8473680E.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Nice, can u post more pics w/o the side cases attached and close ups of how it bolts on.  I have the Shad mounting brackets which their top case base bolts to and is also the structure connecting the side brackets.  I'd like a rack and side brackets to which the Shad base can bolt down on but still work with separate Shad pannier 3p mounting brackets (to which my Shad SH36 literally pop on and off off, great mounting system and the locks don't have to be locked when mounted.

Looks good!  Might have to order one after the holidays.  Currently have a tail bag mounted on the rear seat and have to remove the bag to get the rear seat off and then fiddle/readjust the straps after mounting the rear seat and tail bag.  By mounting the tail bag to the T-Rex rack, would have easier access to removing the rear seat.  Thanks for the heads up on this product!

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...

I'm curious. You mentioned Givi. Have you mounted any Givi box to this rack?

If so, did you use a Givi adapter plate? Or did you install Givi hardware directly to the rack? (That's what I'm thinking of doing if I buy the T-Rex rack. I'd rather mount a box directly to the T-Rex rather than an intermediate nylon plate.)

You can source the hardware directly from Givi. I'm trying to do something similar to how I have my DRZ set up. The question is, where are the cutouts on the T-Rex and would they interfere with mounting Givi hardware. Has anyone done something like this or do I have to go first? (That Skaggs rack, by the way, is fantastic.) I took a tape measure to the mounting points: the mushroom pins are 8 3/4" apart. The two bolts that affix the latch are 1" apart. Each of those is 9 1/4" from the mushroom pin on its corresponding side of the rack. All measurements center to center. 

What it comes down to, is I need to be able to mount a Givi box to the rack for commuting, and a hockey bag across the rack when I'm heading to the rink. I think the T-Rex fits the bill if I can mount Givi hardware directly to it. Otherwise, I guess I have to fab my own. 

6a00d83455aeb969e201b7c77aabca970b-600wi

We're now carrying Scaggs Cargo Racks, including their Billet Adventure...

GIVI offers a comprehensive range of spare part hardware components for...

• Thumbsup 1

Wow yet another V-Strom owner converted, great to see you here larolco! I have a feeling you’re gonna like your new GT, but will have to say they aren’t the pack mules the Stroms are......but imho they are much more fun to ride. 😎

Edited by Ride365

10 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Wow yet another V-Strom owner converted, great to see you here larolco! I have a feeling you’re gonna like your new GT, but will have to say they aren’t the pack mules the Stroms are......but imho they are much more fun to ride. 😎

Hey there, Big B. I haven't yet picked up the bike but it's had the brake/cruise recall thingy done and is ready to roll. If the snow holds off, I plan to take possession this weekend. Yeah, I know it's not a pack mule but not many bikes are. Having said that, I lug hockey gear around on the DRZ so, relatively speaking, I think the Tracer will do fine. I've asked T-Rex Racing if they think my plan is possible but I don't think they quite understood (said I could drill holes in the top case to affix!!). So, still waiting for clarification on that front. 

Heard back from TRR this morning. They don't think it will work as the places I would have to drill are very near where there are cutouts in the rack. Nothing to drill into. I guess I could fill in the cutouts, but it would be just as easy to fab my own plate and make it exactly what I want instead of a compromise. So, that leads me to looking at the OEM Yamaha rack and maybe drilling and tapping into that. I do like that the OEM is integrated with the grab handles rather than a separate piece. So, the head-scratching continues....

13 minutes ago, larolco said:

Heard back from TRR this morning. They don't think it will work as the places I would have to drill are very near where there are cutouts in the rack. Nothing to drill into. I guess I could fill in the cutouts, but it would be just as easy to fab my own plate and make it exactly what I want instead of a compromise. So, that leads me to looking at the OEM Yamaha rack and maybe drilling and tapping into that. I do like that the OEM is integrated with the grab handles rather than a separate piece. So, the head-scratching continues....

I use an SW Motech rack that has a plate with strap-down points and the GIVI monokey mount points. I often ride without the top box and tie stuff to the rack without issue. SWM sells different mounting kits for all kinds of boxes (Givi, Shad, etc.) for the top plate. 

35 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

I use an SW Motech rack that has a plate with strap-down points and the GIVI monokey mount points. I often ride without the top box and tie stuff to the rack without issue. SWM sells different mounting kits for all kinds of boxes (Givi, Shad, etc.) for the top plate. 

Do you know if you have to use a Givi adapter plate with the Motech rack, or can you bolt the case-specific hardware directly to the rack? Also, how are the grab bars? Are they narrower or the same width apart as stock? 

58 minutes ago, larolco said:

Do you know if you have to use a Givi adapter plate with the Motech rack, or can you bolt the case-specific hardware directly to the rack? Also, how are the grab bars? Are they narrower or the same width apart as stock? 

No adapter plate necessary. The Givi pins and latch bolt right to the SW Motech rack's top plate. I think the grab rails are very similar in width to the stock ones. Picture courtesy of Twisted Throttle:

gpt0687119000b-web_-_2-500x390.jpg

You can see the different mounting holes for different brand bags.

Thank you sir. It's so hard to figure this stuff out when you cannot see the product in person. Hell, I don't even have the bike yet, so I can't even look at that. Sounds like the SW Motech may be the way to go. I do like the look of the T-Rex, however. It looks wider but, again, that might be an optical illusion. 

• 1 month later...

Bought one of these myself but I can’t seem to mount it on my 2015 FJ09. Front holes line up perfect under the seat but the rear ones don’t line up with the mounting points for the passenger handles. It looks like it was machined incorrectly and they face a bit too inward. 

It didn’t ship with instructions, just two longer bolts, two long spacers, and two washers. I figured it looked straightforward enough.

I reached out to T-Rex Racing to see if they had any tips or next steps. I’ll update here when I get more information. Besides not fitting on the bike it’s exactly what I wanted in a rear rack.

Edited by bootsandboots