Front Race Tech springs install help.

peteinpa

So I have stiffer Race Tech front springs on order. I'll be installing.  I've since found out that these exact springs fit a TON of bikes so I won't be getting FJ-09 specific instructions. I have to do measuring and shimming for preload following a chart I downloaded from Race Tech I still don't understand.

Has anyone done this already that can give me specific FJ-09 instructions?

Race Tech has different oil heights left and right...I think this is wrong, They have the word spring where it should say cartridge on their site.

I'm wondering if I should have gone with someone else and haven't even received the kit.

I've installed Sonic springs and used the stock spacer without trimming it (maybe i did it wrong lol). Anyway,, trimming the spacer sgould be pretty straight forward. Can you post the link to the RaceTech chart so we can have a look and give some advice? 

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member

@peteinpa - Are you only installing new springs, or are you also doing the Gold Valve revalving?   I had the full Race Tech springs & valving done on mine, and think I still have all the paperwork.   That said, I didn’t do the work myself, so can’t offer any firsthand knowledge of the process.   I suspect that the springs should be a simple drop-in swap, although you might need to trim spacers if the Race Tech springs are longer than the stock components.     

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I have some notes re: Gold Valve here if you're interested. I am very happy with the setup now, but with some tweaks to the Race Tech recommendations. Re: oil levels... the fork inner tubes have overflow holes at 130mm, so the 110mm oil level noted by Race Tech didn't make much sense to me... YMMV.

I have also replaced the springs (Stoltec), but they were the same length as stock (straight swap). I imagine you will just have to shorten the spacer for your longer springs so the overall length (spacer and spring) remains the same.

Good luck.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

I'm only doing springs at this point.

Here is what I have from Race Tech:

https://racetech.com/download/InstructPDF/IP FRSP S Street Fork Springs.pdf

https://racetech.com/page/title/Fk Preload - Relaxed and Actual

https://racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Yamaha/FJ-09/2015

I've done more reading and for upside down cartridge forks "most" are just drop in. 

In the mean time there are all these directions for installed sag, free sag, etc.

You'll note the bad "phraseology" for the last download.  Also the 130mm oil height on the right and 110mm on left. OEM is even oil height.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, peteinpa said:

So you  went with 140mm oil level.

I did. Ignore the note about Bel-Ray. I found that it added a bunch of stiction to seals so I now use another brand/type, and your valving is different anyway. Pack the fork seals with grease... much easier while the forks are off the bike. Skip to ~5:00 in this video.

Edited by piotrek

UPS just dropped off my springs. No paper work with them. I'd rather have specific instructions then all the stickers.

OEM spring is 305.3 mm  Race Tech is 341 mm long.  Do I cut the OEM spacer?

• Supporting Member

Cut if you're feeling adventurous, Contact Race Tech to make sure that is all you need to do and no other hardware is required. Some comments from FZ-09 users here.

I would be returning these if still possible, and getting something drop-in instead. I recommend Stoltec because I had a very positive experience with them (and they're in PA I recall). There may be others.

• Thumbsup 1

I believe you will need to cut the OEM spacer to install those. No first hand experience with cutting spacers though so good luck lol.

I have a set of sonic springs that are drop in as well...

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

I believe you will need to cut the OEM spacer to install those. No first hand experience with cutting spacers though so good luck lol.

I have a set of sonic springs that are drop in as well...

I also have used Sonic springs on my past few bikes, there was no modification necessary and I have minimal preload adjusted on the fork caps, maybe 1-2 lines of adjustment used.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The Stoltec springs are $140 and I still have to pay shipping.

The Race Tech are $104 and free shipping.

I'm on a fixed income.🤣 I feel old when I say that.

Anyway...That top part you stick the 2 posts of the spring compressor  in is plastic right? Is there 30 mm to cut off?

I'm going to leave it a little long, for more preload. maybe 10 mm.

I am thinking correct right?  OEM spacer and OEM spring must equal RT spring and cut down OEM spacer.

Edited by peteinpa

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

I'm going to leave it a little long, for more preload. maybe 10 mm.

I am thinking correct right?  OEM spacer and OEM spring must equal RT spring and cut down OEM spacer.

That is what I would do also, leave the spacer just a bit long and the fork cap adjusters set near minimum.  You could always trim the spacers a millimeter or two more if needed to fine tune.  Better to be too long and able to trim than too short and have to start over.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I had my forks sorted, i cannot see what all the problems really are... A good grade 10 fork oil to start with the correct springs ordered according to the riders weight, the only problem is getting a fork compression tool to make life as easy as possible for removal and fitting the springs, getting the oil level measured correctly then having the forks properly setup once completed, it takes time and the outcome is excellent.

Otherwise if you just want to spend loads of money then buy the Ohlins NIX30 fork internals, springs and oil and be sorted that way

Edited by littlebruv