• Supporting Member

Alright needed a new thread to discussing the stock mirrors on the Niken as well as any and all replacement mirror options and accessories including mirror delete block off plates. I'm trying to see if anyone makes a block off plate for the Niken with an integrated turn signal / blinker. 

My stock mirrors were ok until I got a set of SW Motech hand guards which then blocked a good chunk of the view from the stock mirrors on my Niken GT. 

The plan is to add some bar/handguard mounted mirrors to address the really bad blind spots introduced by the handguards (looking at the Rottweiler quick flip mirror mounts , but couldn't find anything online for a mirror delete block off plate with an integrated turn signal. Anyone have any suggestions?

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member

Part of the reason the Rottweiler setup is so expensive is because their mirrors are made by CRG, a machining and fabrication company that first got its start by specializing in adjustable racing clutch and brake levers. I wasn't familiar with CRG and found them here. 

Apparently CRG is a company based in California with American made products. Their mirrors are engineered to be automotive OEM grade meaning special attention paid to robustness, clarity of image, non glare and wide operating temperature ranges. 

What's helpful to know  is that the price of their individual arrow mirrors are $120 each. So the better deal is to get the Rottweiler folding mirrors and you get the additional swivel capabilities of the wider arrow mirrors. This way you get the nice CRG engineered mirrors plus you're supporting Rottweiler as a US small business. 

2019 Niken GT

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

This gentleman did a nice stock mirror delete with turn signal replacements. Am getting details on sources for the turn signal mounts. 

1C81BF1C-3A21-4DE3-AED6-5B43CD102114.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

In researching why the CRG mirrors are so expensive, I kept finding references to the mirrors being "automotive quality convex mirrors". Didn't know what that meant so I looked up requirements for motorcycle mirrors from the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standards. 

This SAE Recommended Practice specifies recommendations for rear view mirror systems to provide the operator with a clear view to the rear. It is intended as a supplement to the requirements for motorcycle mirrors given in 49 CFR 571.111.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/pdf/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-sec571-111.pdf

Looking up 49 CFR 571.111 at the link above goes into considerable technical detail regarding what motorcycle mirrors should have to meet SAE standards. If your part meets SAE standards then it gets a SAE designation. Ex. SAE designation requirements for compliance includes things such as having verbiage on convex mirrors indicating objects in mirror are larger than they appear .  

My assumption is CRG mirrors are that they meet some, but not all of the SAE requirements, hence the "automotive quality convex mirror " marketing description.  

Additionally the CRG mirrors are actually mirrored glass vs mirrored paint on plastic and thus have optimum optical clarity. 

I've seen reviews of more affordable  mirror versions which state that they also utilize convex mirror glass in their construction. It would be good to have a side by side comparison of the two just to see differences. 

08A4C600-DB9E-49BB-A9EB-6F1B504DF211.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Received my Rottweiler flip out mirrors in the mail today. Initial thoughts prior to installation. 

Very well constructed mounting mechanism from Rottweiler. Simple but strong and light. Appears to be machined from a solid billet of aluminum. As other reviewers have noted, the mirrors seem really small, but hit the fine balance of being the smallest but actually as useful as possible. In comparison to my stock mirrors which are currently blocked by the handguards, this should be a significant improvement in safety awareness of obstacles around me. 

CRG Arrow mirrors are some very sturdy executions in machining. Simple but strong and light, mirror image quality was clear at 8 feet for distances behind me with no image blur or distortions. Will test clarity outdoors to see how far i can view before it gets too difficult for my eyes to process. 

Mirror convex glass appears to have a very light tint to it (assuming it reduces some glare). 

The Rottweiler mount utilizes a CRG friction clamp held down by a single Allen wrench bolt. When installing highly recommend using a little bit of Loctite blue compound on the threads to make sure it won't vibrate loose. 

D24E5B6B-FE27-4C96-A900-998C26BDE3D5.jpeg

F0C03465-7A0B-4616-A145-F4A9AC72327F.jpeg

C4934B12-453E-4204-94FB-CA8F4D618169.jpeg

EFB30858-860B-4007-ACDF-CD024E191526.jpeg

FD56B7F7-6C9D-4486-B362-4D75B6C9CCDB.jpeg

3E263916-B047-41C4-B50C-02A1FA977A9F.jpeg

F0493B70-3F87-4FD6-82EE-26BCE3E10729.jpeg

C28A43F1-9755-46A7-BA20-1B238C323FB6.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Ok - installed my Rottweiler mirrors today. Three key install points to keep in mind:

1. Hardest part was drilling the holes into the SW Motech handguards. The instructional video from Rottweiler took all of 2 minutes tops to drill four holes into aluminum/plastic guards. The SW Motech Kobra handguard spine is pure steel and took about 20 minutes for my drill bits to make their way through the steel SW Motech handguards. Be sure your power drill has a full battery and that you actually have drill bits that can cut through steel. 

2. Double check the measurement distance between the center points of the two holes needed to mount the Rottweiler mirror bracket. 

I experienced pure misery on the right guard install simply because I skipped double checking the distance with my micrometer between the center point of the two holes which resulted in the holes that I drilled to be about 2mm further away then they needed to be. Took me about 30 minutes with my Dremel tool using a small grinding bit to grind down the 2mm of steel enough where the bolts wouldn't enter the Rottweiler flip mount bracket at an angle and mess up the threads. 

3. If your SW Motech handguards are not at the fullest extension (there are two positions that you can mount the Kobra handguards at, one closer to the hand, the other a little further away from the hand), you may not be able to get a good viewing angle on your mirrors. Before drilling holes, check your approximate placement of the mirror with the flip bracket on your handlebar, and set the mirror to where you think you'd want it ideally while sitting on the bike in your normal position. I had to let my right hand side guard out to its furthest position in order for the CRG mirror to be where I needed it to be to give me a good view of my right side blind spots. 

Aside from the technical goof on my end of not double checking my measurements, installation is actually not that bad if you drill the holes exactly the distance they need to be apart. 

AF3A68E7-27F7-4627-9A52-E94670BC74BD.jpeg

D39C4659-D424-4B42-A1A8-3A5F4A362B50.jpeg

9233F53E-7C74-4245-83C2-827882C83ABF.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

CRG mirror clarity outdoors under full daylight were excellent. Could see a good distance behind me despite the small size of the mirrors. The convex mirror actually did a really good job of showing exactly what's behind me as well as gave my a decent field of view of my blind spots. Zero vibration at rest or at highway speeds. 

Very pleased with the product and would recommend. 

8/3/21 update - very pleased with the mirrors. These address the bad blind spots introduced with using handguards on the Niken. The only issue I've encountered is that at certain extreme viewing angles, the reflection  of lights in the mirrors at night sometimes gives a blue tint because of the glass coating.  My first reaction was that I had a law enforcement officer light me up but then realized it was just the mirror lens coating causing the bluish tint on reflected lights in the CRG mirrors. I'm pretty sure the mirror coating is to reduce glare and this is a side effect. Not a deal breaker though.

Edited by maximNikenGT
Five month update

2019 Niken GT

• 5 months later...

I went a different way, I installed 20mm handlebar risers from VOIGT MOTO TECHNIK (VMT) in Germany. These CNC machined risers came with all necessary hardware (four longer bolts) and instructions (in German) and fitted straight onto the bike without having to adjust any of the wiring or hoses. They even quote the torque setting for the bolts.

739866682_20mmRisers.JPG.8d05cb069c86238d76ae6fcc4aa360a2.JPG

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, GregNiken said:

I went a different way, I installed 20mm handlebar risers from VOIGT MOTO TECHNIK (VMT) in Germany. These CNC machined risers came with all necessary hardware (four longer bolts) and instructions (in German) and fitted straight onto the bike without having to adjust any of the wiring or hoses. They even quote the torque setting for the bolts.

Hat tip to GregNiken!

Link for the Niken GT risers here https://voigt-mt.de/index.php?k=4583&lang=eng.

69.95 Euros for the GT risers and the non GT version. Link to risers for regular (not GT) version here https://voigt-mt.de/VMT-Voigt-MT-Freiburg-Handlebar-risers-20mm-for-Yamaha-Niken-RN58-18-kit-bar-mounts-1-inch 

Notes:

1. There are two different links depending upon whether you get risers for the GT vs nonGT version. Be sure you select the correct link. 

2. When I called Rox risers of the US back in Jan 2021 they did not make risers for the Nikens. So far these are the first  official manufacturer of  risers I've heard of. 

2019 Niken GT

20 hours ago, GregNiken said:

Hi Greg.

How much better is view on Mirrors . I fitted Tracer mirrors and bought bracket to fit master cylinder for right side . Much better view but if I can get my hads out of mirror view may go for risers . I did the same on an ST1300 some years ago worked well

Hi Biggo. For my height (6'3" (190cm)) I can now see about 80% of the what is behind me, I have SW-Motech handguards fitted and now can only see a small portion (about 1cm) of their base. I've only been out on the bike once since installation (we are still in lockdown because of this damn virus) so I still have some fine tuning to do (mirror angle and handguard level), even that small increase in bar height has made a lot of difference. The risers also come in black and Ralph at Voigt Moto Technik was very helpful. 

I did think about changing the bars but was not sure how much slack was in the cabling & wires. The Voigt web site noted that there were no others changes necessary and they were right. If you decide on the risers, don't forget to mark your handlebar position relative to one of the handlebar clamps before removing the clamp and bar.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

In case anyone is looking to do a mirror delete along with with replacement turn signals, stumbled across these guys in a Florida who make items specifically for the Niken.  

https://tstindustries.com/yamaha-niken-2018/

2019 Niken GT

• 2 months later...

I replaced the brake master cylinder with one off EBay from an MT-09 (which has the screw in) and fitted two standard Yamaha MT mirrors. 

Great rear view with the four mirrors, but the lower ones are somewhat obscured when the muffs are fitted.

Simple and effective.