Loose Screws/bolts

Weather has been crap since I got my '20 tracer 900GT home. Been going over it, added SAE connector for Battery Tender and what ever else works there, added Tourmaster heated gear connector, side stand foot expander (not sure I like yet). and have some other things on the way. Need to stop spending for awhile! Going over bolts and screws I found the bar end weight screws barely finger tight. Think I'll apply some red locktite and check them when riding with heated grips on. My local dealer had this bike earlier but sold it I thought when it didn't show on inventory. Today though they had the bike in stock on the floor. And they had a sold FJ-09 '15 on the floor marked sold. Had I seen that earlier I may have bought it, no blemishes anywhere, no idea of mileage but I bet low. Oh well. Anyway, CHECK YOU SCREWS!

• Supporting Member

I've had a few screws loose recently (yes I know) and actually lost a couple completely!  Nothing too serious - one out of the rear mudguard and one out of the 'foot' that I added to the kickstand. The other two on the kickstand foot were on the way out as well.  Also bar end weight screws have loosened on me as well.  Oh yeah, lost the number plate as well.

I caught the mudguard screw halfway out 1st time around and tightened it back up thinking that I had dodged having to replace it.  But, it was determined and got its way some time later and managed to 'escape' completely.

I have to confess that the few screws that had vibrated loose were mainly the one's that I had fiddled with or fitted at some stage.  Lesson for me is to now apply the blue stuff on every occassion unless the red stuff is called for of course.

As the OP has said - CHECK THOSE SREWS!

My bike is brand new with a total of 4 miles on the odometer. It's really crappy weather so I'm going over the bike checking everything I can get to without disassembly. The loise bar end screws have to be dealer assembly of a new bike. Rarely do I use red loctite, those screws got blue. Just passing along a heads up. Farkling continues. I had 3 bikes not too long ago each with specific kits. Now I'm sorting duplicate tools and misc from each into 1for the Tracer. 

Check every thing on the front end. fender, axle, Pinch bolt, ABS sensor. All finger tight on my 15, and I'm the 2nd owner!

These are ALL assembly points from the crate when new.

Watch a few "unboxing" Youtubes you'll see what's apart in the crate.

Seems to me from the factory and after dealer prep nuts and bolts ought to me securely fastened and the spec torque applied. But hey, we get to replace the stuff that falls off. If they aren't going to do that then at least blue locktite the stuff. I've been lucky to get 5 new bikes over the years and the screws on bar end weights are usually secure, but not always. 

13 hours ago, whisperquiet said:

I would go with blue locktite so it isn't a pita to remove later.  I have had my handguard bolts out....no loctite....re-installed and have never loosened up on my '19 900 GT with the heated grips on all winter.

I found out that my handguard bolt was missing around 6K miles. But to be fair I did drop the bike on that side. The side case did take all the force. However, I am not fully convinced that bolt came out because I dropped the bike.  

Edited by Your_Boy_Yuriy