Wiring driving lights into factory lights

Has anyone wired their driving lights into their high beams? I want my aftermarket driving lights to be on with my high beams only, and turn off when I switch to low beams. I have done this on other bikes with regular halogen headlights but the Tracer has an LED headlight. Thanks for any input.

• Premium Member

I would use the high beam to trigger a relay to run the fogs.....But... I wouldn’t hack into the expensive headlight assembly or harness to do it. Easier and safer to just use a stand alone switch. 

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

36 minutes ago, micah2074 said:

I would use the high beam to trigger a relay to run the fogs.....But... I wouldn’t hack into the expensive headlight assembly or harness to do it. Easier and safer to just use a stand alone switch. 

That's a good idea. But yes, I also don't want to cut up factor wiring harnesses.

• Supporting Member

Under the headlight is a connector with a green wire for the low beam and a yellow for the high beam. Anymore I can't tell you.  I would like to do the same so I will be following this thread.

Yamaha Wire colors.png

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I haven't looked at the wiring connection for the headlight, but if you can determine the connectors, buy a male and female that match, then make a jumper that fits in the middle to feed your relay(s), that would be the way to go.  

I've bought connector kits with blank male and female connectors/pin of various styles, so it's likely just a matter of the right connectors.  May have to buy a kit with the crimping tool, depending upon the style.

Cycle Terminal is a good source that I've used in the past.  

We have Vintage and modern Sport-bike Motorcycle Wiring...

• Thanks 1

I looked at this a fair amount when doing my aux lights.  Wanted to pull a signal from the high beam to use as an input to my controller for my lights.  Best I could figure there is a high beam wire from the switch that goes to the connector under the headlights.  Appears to go to a controller module for the LED lights.  All I want is a signal from the wire and found it in the wiring bundle but didn't chase it further.  Maybe one of these days I will pull it apart and get to the wire so can use a PosiTap connector the tap into the wire.  That was if I want too go back a little tape will cover the hole in the insulation from the PosiTap connector.