Saddlebag Seal

Over Easter I got my 600 mile break-in done, it was all dry miles. I opened the saddlebags and found lots of insect parts inside both bags, so there has to be quite a gap in the clamshell mating surface to the back box. There is no gasket or rubber seal in the mating surfaces. I looked at to parts fiche schematics on -line and neither shows and detail, just the complete saddlebag. In rain those bags would leak like a sieve. I usually pack my stuff in zip lock or roll top water proof bags even though all the OEM saddlebags I have owned had seals in the mating surfaces and zero moisture in side the bags. Question is do any of you with OEM saddlebags have any seal material in the lid/body mating surfaces? Can't imagine there shouldn't be. 

• Premium Member

At the end of the screwdriver is a soft rubber seal. Much like the weather stripping on a car door.

20210409_214026.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

2 hours ago, TomTracer said:

Over Easter I got my 600 mile break-in done, it was all dry miles. I opened the saddlebags and found lots of insect parts inside both bags, so there has to be quite a gap in the clamshell mating surface to the back box. There is no gasket or rubber seal in the mating surfaces. I looked at to parts fiche schematics on -line and neither shows and detail, just the complete saddlebag. In rain those bags would leak like a sieve. I usually pack my stuff in zip lock or roll top water proof bags even though all the OEM saddlebags I have owned had seals in the mating surfaces and zero moisture in side the bags. Question is do any of you with OEM saddlebags have any seal material in the lid/body mating surfaces? Can't imagine there shouldn't be. 

Mine seal very well.  I ride year round in all kinds of weather and even in torrential rain (or, for that matter, pressure washing the bike) I've never had a single drop of water inside my bags. 20210409_195507.thumb.jpg.e44616bed1699dfd893cd85f4dedc0de.jpg

rubbery seal here too.

Edited by Wintersdark