Iron Butt Ride

biggo

• Supporting Member

Congrats Biggo! 

Iron Butt was one of the reasons I looked at Yamaha bikes to begin with given how many riders in the US attempt to complete Iron Butt on FJR1300s. The cheaper maintenance costs for me was a long term factor that I was seriously taking into consideration in my attempts to be ready to attempt an Iron Butt. 

Didn't know that it would ultimately lead me to the Niken GT but I take this as a sign to begin preparations. 

Iron Butt is awesome recognition by itself, and to do it in a place as beautiful as New Zealand, my hats off to you good sir! I'm going to have to start looking at good routes in the US for my attempt. 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

Congrats! Would love to see any photos you might be willing to share. Not that you had a lot of time for that! What was your average speed? I imagine it would be slow on back roads. Not doing 90mph all day like on American slabs? 

• Supporting Member

Longest distance I've ever done in a single period was 500 miles from Raleigh, North Carolina to Powell, Ohio on a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6E. Wasnt trying to set any records or anything but that trip took me about 13 hours to complete safely. I was EXHAUSTED after that ride.

What kind of training / preparation did you do to get yourself ready for the iron butt attempt? Anything you would have prepared differently?

How did you handle hydration / nutrition needs as well as restroom/washroom breaks?

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

I just got back from a 7200 mile west coast trip. I wanted to make it home for my Mom's birthday. I had two days to make it home. I was in near Zion national park, Utah camping on BLM land. Man when I typed home in my GPS the shortest route was 22 hours long. However, I couldn't take the shortest route because it wanted me to go through Colorado and higher elevation states. There was no way I was going to survive that in Spring.  So I had to choose the southern route which was 25 hours long. I believe the first day I did roughly 650 miles plus and the next day next I did 1022 miles.  STOCK SEAT. 

IMG_2186.thumb.jpg.1347027418ea7ab614357614f5f3c8a1.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

What kind of training / preparation did you do to get yourself ready for the iron butt attempt?

I'm not the OP, but the Iron Butt Association Archive of Wisdom is a wealth of excellent information:

The Iron Butt Association is dedicated to safe, long-distance...

One of my personal favorites is #16:

"After getting gasoline (a mini rest-stop in itself), it takes just as long to suit-up to ride across the street to eat as it does to ride twenty miles down the road and then eat. The result is two mini rest-stops for the price of one."

I follow this practice whether the total ride is 200 miles or 2000. It works wonders at managing fatigue.  

• Thumbsup 1

6 hours ago, Salish900 said:

Congrats! Would love to see any photos you might be willing to share. Not that you had a lot of time for that! What was your average speed? I imagine it would be slow on back roads. Not doing 90mph all day like on American slabs? 

Hi.  Didnt have much time for photos on that ride just fuel stops for the verification process. 

I have done 6-7 of these 1000mile rides and they are quiet challenging in NZ . The maximum speed limit is 100 kmh ( 62 mph ) and we hardy have any motorways most roads are very twisty and you have to ride hard to keep a reasonable moving average  

20210320_222034.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

5 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Longest distance I've ever done in a single period was 500 miles from Raleigh, North Carolina to Powell, Ohio on a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6E. Wasnt trying to set any records or anything but that trip took me about 13 hours to complete safely. I was EXHAUSTED after that ride.

What kind of training / preparation did you do to get yourself ready for the iron butt attempt? Anything you would have prepared differently?

How did you handle hydration / nutrition needs as well as restroom/washroom breaks?

There is a small group of riders in NZ who are quiet passionate about their long distance riding.

A few local events 

1389388460.png

You're probably here because the sound of a long weekend's ride covering...
6138418.png?100

Update: 31st August 2020: Entries are now closed, thank you.

I started doing rides that I was comfortable with and slowly build up . I have a camelback for water and snacks / nuts etc in my tank bag for during long stretches. Planning is a big part and fuel range on Niken not greatest. The bigest mistake anyone can do is push beyond your personal limits there is no shame is stopping if you are too tired  lots of good info on IBA website 

6138418.png?100

Good distance riders are those who can pace themselves and make a...