Wow, what a ride

6 hours ago, jamespz03 said:

Congrats on the new bike. I got a leftover as well but the used market here sucks azz. A used 2019 with 20,000 - 35,000 miles is fetching $11,500 at dealers. It sounds like it's the same where you are. They are far and few between private so I said eff it, I'm buying new and they did discount it. That's why I went so far to get it. 

Anyway, Congratulations!!!

Congrats on the new bike.  WOW can't believe they are bringing that much - I paid $11,500 for mine last September.   I rode a lot in B mode when it was new - LOL my ride home was 2,000 miles since I traded in the middle of a trip that was messed up when my previous bike broke down.  I generally ride in A mode as Ive gotten used to the quicker response so B seems soft now.  However A can be very jerky - almost got me in trouble when I was messing around on a steep twisty road that didn't have great pavement.  I rolled off then back on and it was not good at all - happened a couple of times before I realized was going to have to be very careful with abrupt throttle changes.  

Had a MadStad on my previous bike - BMWE F800GT - it was really too much wind protection but I still had noise at the top of my helmet.  Bought a MRA touring without the extra "wing" up top but added one from Amazon.  I really like this combo and should have bought the MRA with the wing.  The stock windscreen buffets my shoulders and helmet and after a 500 mile day in 96F it had to go!  Just got back from riding to Topeka KS.  1st day out is 560 miles.  I did it as easy as I've ever done that stretch.  I get a descent amount of airflow to my helmet but it's smooth and the noise is better than my previous bike with the MadStad.  Note this is not a MadStad vs MRA comparison as it's different bikes.  

Phone case - I have a RAM X-mount which works really well.  I used a ball mount on one of the handlebar bolts and that seems to work well and not too much vibration.  However I don't use my phone.  Did that on my F800GT and it was shook badly!  Autofocus was messed up but seemed to somewhat heal itself but still have occasional problems a year and a half later.  I run a Garmin Zumo XT for navigation which I really like as it tells me where the towns and cities ahead are and if they have gas or food.  However it is not a cheap device.  They have introduced a new device that costs even more $$$$.  Forget the name/number of it but it is a navigation device plus a inReach Mini.  I have an inReach Mini in case I have a problem outside of cell service - even in cell service might work better as it has GPS coordinates automatically sent.  Originally bought the standard X-Mount but later bought the bigger version which also held a cheap car TomTom as well as my iPhone in it's case.

I added the Yamaha rack and the 39L top case.  It is nicely made and can hold my full face helmet and gloves and a rain jacket and a couple of small items.  Yamaha does not recommend using a top case with the side cases which IMO is due to the possibility of overloading.  On my trip to Topeka I used it in addition to the side cases plus a large duffle bag on the rear seat.  Idea was to keep the top case empty except for a rain jacket - worked well.  But then I stopped and bought an extra coke to have that night - tossed it in the side case then another stop chips from lunch etc.  I went to Topeka to pick up a Bagster seat from a fella.  Well on the way back I had an extra set of seats so space was tight.  Well you know how that goes - more stuff in the top case....  No problems but it would loft the front wheel a little easier but no stability issues or handling issues - LOL I went off a tight exit ramp a good bit faster than I intended because some idiot in an SUV came flying up behind me so I turned in a good bit quicker than I would have normally - thought he will soon discover it is not a high speed exit ramp - he did and slowed way down.  I always leave a margin in my cornering and didn't get into that.  I did set my preload up pretty good before the trip to account for the extra weight - a little more than necessary for the front but the rear seemed good.

I have a Givi ring mount tank bag which I generally like, easy on and off but the safety strap is a nuisance.  I always take my GoPro, Garmin, tank bag and helmet with me when I stop even if it just going to the restroom and getting a coke.

Seats, the standard seat works OK for me.  I run a AirHawk cushion and have done 560 miles in a day with no issues with that combination.  I bought a Bagster seat, it is wa little wider and fairly firm but seems nice.  I did a 250 mile day with it with no problems but for my 560 mile day decided to put the AirHawk on just to make sure.  So far not a night and day difference but in my experience seats take a while to break in.  The standard seat on my Tracer GT is as good as the comfort seat on my F800GT was.  The Bagster is better and looks really nice.  With the AirHawk it was no problem to do a 560 mile day.  I only stopped three times for gas, second time for gas was also a food stop.  On that stretch went from Springfield MO to Birmingham AL so lots of interstate and faster secondary roads.  Cruse control is so nice!

I have a son in San Jose and hoping to ride out there this summer - wife says she is flying!  I bought my bike in Sioux Falls SD.  I've been as far west as Idaho then up to Glacier park on my previous bike and the Tracer GT is a wonderful midsized sport touring bike and is a delight to ride.  On 2 lane roads the CP3 makes passing very easy.  I've not had it in hard rain but so far has been very good in big winds.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 1

13 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Congrats on the new bike.  WOW can't believe they are bringing that much - I paid $11,500 for mine last September.   I rode a lot in B mode when it was new - LOL my ride home was 2,000 miles since I traded in the middle of a trip that was messed up when my previous bike broke down.  I generally ride in A mode as Ive gotten used to the quicker response so B seems soft now.  However A can be very jerky - almost got me in trouble when I was messing around on a steep twisty road that didn't have great pavement.  I rolled off then back on and it was not good at all - happened a couple of times before I realized was going to have to be very careful with abrupt throttle changes.  

I think I read on here where you talked about that trip. Thanks for the info on "A" mode. 

13 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Phone case - I have a RAM X-mount which works really well.  I used a ball mount on one of the handlebar bolts and that seems to work well and not too much vibration.  However I don't use my phone.  Did that on my F800GT and it was shook badly!  Autofocus was messed up but seemed to somewhat heal itself but still have occasional problems a year and a half later.  I run a Garmin Zumo XT for navigation which I really like as it tells me where the towns and cities ahead are and if they have gas or food.  However it is not a cheap device.  They have introduced a new device that costs even more $$$$.  Forget the name/number of it but it is a navigation device plus a inReach Mini.  I have an inReach Mini in case I have a problem outside of cell service - even in cell service might work better as it has GPS coordinates automatically sent.  Originally bought the standard X-Mount but later bought the bigger version which also held a cheap car TomTom as well as my iPhone in it's case.

I did read a few people encountering the same issue you just described. I'll probably hold off for now but it would be nice to have some cheap navigation.

Thank you for the wealth of info. I think the only thing that really stands out for me to put money into now is mirror extenders. I like mirrors with a little more real estate so I can see more. These ones are tiny to me and it's tough to see around my shoulders. We shall see on the seat though - it feels nice but I don't think I can handle a long trip on it yet. Only seat time will decide that factor.

It seems like most items are out of stock anyway right now - Bagster seats, windscreens, etc. This must be a popular bike.

Edited by jamespz03
  • Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, jamespz03 said:

What would you consider good gas mileage?

I get 50+mpg. It is a nice bump compared to the 40mpg I used to get on my FJR (which, of course, had a much bigger engine).

• Thumbsup 1

18 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

I have a son in San Jose and hoping to ride out there this summer

If you're unfamiliar with the SJ area and need some local info, hit me up. Would be my pleasure to help.

1 hour ago, Kevin R said:

I get 50+mpg. It is a nice bump compared to the 40mpg I used to get on my FJR (which, of course, had a much bigger engine).

That's good to know, thanks. I averaged, I think, 50mpg for my ride home. I wasn't sure if that was good 🙂

3 hours ago, jamespz03 said:

That's good to know, thanks. I averaged, I think, 50mpg for my ride home. I wasn't sure if that was good 🙂

I get around 40-45, but I've gone up two teeth on the rear and ride... Aggressively, lets say.  

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

I get around 40-45, but I've gone up two teeth on the rear and ride... Aggressively, lets say.  

Exactly the same gearing and average MPG for me too.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

7 hours ago, Kevin R said:

If you're unfamiliar with the SJ area and need some local info, hit me up. Would be my pleasure to help.

Thanks may do that.  We have been out a couple of time to visit them and will be out more frequently now that they have a baby on the way.  Were out in Feb of last year.  You may not believe it but I found the drivers to be nicer and better than then one here or in Atlanta.