Wow, what a ride

I picked up the new bike on Saturday, around 10:30am and rode it 130 miles home. As soon as it was started inside the dealership, I gave my wife a look for pure joy. Like, are you hearing this too???

I rode about 80 miles of non-freeway roads and then finally hit the freeway. It was very hard to keep it in B mode and under the revs. I'm a little nervous about hitting standard and then eventually A mode but that's why I wanted it - lots of room for growth. 

The seat was in low mode and the sales guy didn't know how to adjust it so I kept it like that. The bike is tall for me (I'm 6'2" and I have no idea what my inseam is) but I'm still getting used to it. It just feels right sized for me. The sound is just mesmerizing to me and I haven't even really heard it yet in the higher revs. 

I found it a little buzzy on the freeway (70-73mph) but it could have simply been the road since I was in the slow lane, with lots of hills, and that's where the semi trucks also drive for miles upon miles. 

Can anyone recommend a good phone mount and top case? I think I need a mounting plate and top case but I'm not sure. I'll take a look later today here and on revzilla/cyclegear.

I'm very happy to call myself a new Tracer owner as this bike is amazing.

Lastly, Thank You to @wanderer and everyone else who gave me advice for the ride home. I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

James

• Thumbsup 6
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

Congrats!

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

1 hour ago, jamespz03 said:

I picked up the new bike on Saturday, around 10:30am and rode it 130 miles home. As soon as it was started inside the dealership, I gave my wife a look for pure joy. Like, are you hearing this too???

I rode about 80 miles of non-freeway roads and then finally hit the freeway. It was very hard to keep it in B mode and under the revs. I'm a little nervous about hitting standard and then eventually A mode but that's why I wanted it - lots of room for growth. 

The seat was in low mode and the sales guy didn't know how to adjust it so I kept it like that. The bike is tall for me (I'm 6'2" and I have no idea what my inseam is) but I'm still getting used to it. It just feels right sized for me. The sound is just mesmerizing to me and I haven't even really heard it yet in the higher revs. 

I found it a little buzzy on the freeway (70-73mph) but it could have simply been the road since I was in the slow lane, with lots of hills, and that's where the semi trucks also drive for miles upon miles. 

Can anyone recommend a good phone mount and top case? I think I need a mounting plate and top case but I'm not sure. I'll take a look later today here and on revzilla/cyclegear.

Lastly, Thank You to @wanderer and everyone else who gave me advice for the ride home. I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

James

A mode is hilariously fun.  Maybe not for everyone's daily riding (though it is for me) but it's a blast.  The Tracer really loves to leap off the line :)  You'll find the real differences between B, STD and A modes are just in how much throttle it actually gives at low RPM.  All are identical after ~5000rpm or so, it's just that STD reduces throttle a bit at low RPM and B reduces it significantly at low RPM, and both just follow a curve to full (that is, requested) throttle around 5k.  

It's a tall bike, but as a tall dude, you're basically riding it like Normal People ride Normal Bikes.  It just *feels* tall because you're used to riding short bikes as a tall guy.

I'm 6'4" myself, and one of my favourite parts of the Tracer is that I finally don't feel cramped.  I can still flat foot it with the seat in the high position, but at least my legs are straight!  That's a novelty for me, after 25+ years of riding teensie tiny bikes. 

It's a bit buzzy at certain RPM's.  My solution was Grip Puppies, which worked fine and don't interfere with the heated grips (take a bit longer to warm/longer to cool, but get just as warm) and totally remove any buzziness from the bars. 

If you feel the seat makes you tip forwards, there's a very simple solution to that here: 

It evolves through the thread, but in the end IMHO the best approach is putting washers (I use one 2mm thick washer under each bolt under the rear tank bracket, with the two bolts going through them, lifting up the back of the gas tank and thus the point where the front tab of the seat slots into the gas tank.  

• Thumbsup 1

Congrats!  I picked up my leftover 2020 GT this past Saturday as well!  I was lucky to get one they were still willing to discount....the bike market is going a bit crazy right now and new inventory is very low so used and leftovers are selling like hot cakes!  Anyway, I love this bike...A LOT.....I have owned a Ninja 1000 and this bike is significantly better at long rides but I also was surprised at how nice the suspension is at soaking up bumps on our crap roads in Northwest, IN.  I also was surprised at how quick this bike turns in and stays neutral through a corner!  The motor is a gem but I knew that having owned a 16 FZ-09.  As far as break in agree....I ride mine normal and took a few blasts up above 8K on the tach.  I tend to break them in a bit on the harder side but I don't abuse them.  Never have an issue and my bikes don't use any oil.  The key just varying RPM and the gears and don't lug or overheat the motor, etc.

I did order a madstad screen for mine and that's about all it needs quite honestly.  Next winter it may get Ivan's ECU flash and an exhaust though :)

• Thumbsup 2

42 minutes ago, CRFan250 said:

Congrats!  I picked up my leftover 2020 GT this past Saturday as well!  I was lucky to get one they were still willing to discount....the bike market is going a bit crazy right now and new inventory is very low so used and leftovers are selling like hot cakes!  Anyway, I love this bike...A LOT.....I have owned a Ninja 1000 and this bike is significantly better at long rides but I also was surprised at how nice the suspension is at soaking up bumps on our crap roads in Northwest, IN.  I also was surprised at how quick this bike turns in and stays neutral through a corner!  The motor is a gem but I knew that having owned a 16 FZ-09.  As far as break in agree....I ride mine normal and took a few blasts up above 8K on the tach.  I tend to break them in a bit on the harder side but I don't abuse them.  Never have an issue and my bikes don't use any oil.  The key just varying RPM and the gears and don't lug or overheat the motor, etc.

I did order a madstad screen for mine and that's about all it needs quite honestly.  Next winter it may get Ivan's ECU flash and an exhaust though :)

Congrats on the new bike. I got a leftover as well but the used market here sucks azz. A used 2019 with 20,000 - 35,000 miles is fetching $11,500 at dealers. It sounds like it's the same where you are. They are far and few between private so I said eff it, I'm buying new and they did discount it. That's why I went so far to get it. 

Anyway, Congratulations!!!

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

A mode is hilariously fun.  Maybe not for everyone's daily riding (though it is for me) but it's a blast.  The Tracer really loves to leap off the line :)  You'll find the real differences between B, STD and A modes are just in how much throttle it actually gives at low RPM.  All are identical after ~5000rpm or so, it's just that STD reduces throttle a bit at low RPM and B reduces it significantly at low RPM, and both just follow a curve to full (that is, requested) throttle around 5k.  

It's a tall bike, but as a tall dude, you're basically riding it like Normal People ride Normal Bikes.  It just *feels* tall because you're used to riding short bikes as a tall guy.

I'm 6'4" myself, and one of my favourite parts of the Tracer is that I finally don't feel cramped.  I can still flat foot it with the seat in the high position, but at least my legs are straight!  That's a novelty for me, after 25+ years of riding teensie tiny bikes. 

It's a bit buzzy at certain RPM's.  My solution was Grip Puppies, which worked fine and don't interfere with the heated grips (take a bit longer to warm/longer to cool, but get just as warm) and totally remove any buzziness from the bars. 

If you feel the seat makes you tip forwards, there's a very simple solution to that here: 

It evolves through the thread, but in the end IMHO the best approach is putting washers (I use one 2mm thick washer under each bolt under the rear tank bracket, with the two bolts going through them, lifting up the back of the gas tank and thus the point where the front tab of the seat slots into the gas tank.  

You are exactly right. I'm not on my beginner bike and I'm on a bike that is sized for me. The weight with bags is something I'm getting used to (only from pushing it around, not riding) and I thought I was going to drop it the first and only attempt at using the centerstand.

It just feels like a glove now. I never understood it when people would say "it felt like I was riding on it vs. being a part of it". That is something I clearly understand now.

Thanks for the tips. I have already read your seat mod post twice before I even picked it up. I will most likely try it this coming weekend depending on how the "high" seat position goes.

Some of the buzzing was also in the pegs but I'm guessing that's just normal. 

Thanks for the help and suggestions! 

19 minutes ago, jamespz03 said:

Congrats on the new bike. I got a leftover as well but the used market here sucks azz. A used 2019 with 20,000 - 35,000 miles is fetching $11,500 at dealers. It sounds like it's the same where you are. They are far and few between private so I said eff it, I'm buying new and they did discount it. That's why I went so far to get it. 

Anyway, Congratulations!!!

Thanks!  Yeah I called a dealer in Indy that had one 2020 left and they had it marked down to $11900 so I snapped it up!  Every other dealer I called wanted 12,900.  I am sure they are getting it too.  Either way, its a great bike and worth every penny as far as I am concerned.  Enjoy yours!!

Congrats enjoy this jewel of a bike. Also speaking of deals I purchased mine new in June of 2020 at a price of $11,699. ,a full $1,300 off list .Couldn't pass up the deal ! The  dealer wanted it off the floor and I agreed. LOL. 

MIKE

Edited by GTO MIKE
wrong number
  • Thumbsup 2

4 hours ago, jamespz03 said:

The seat was in low mode and the sales guy didn't know how to adjust it so I kept it like that. The bike is tall for me (I'm 6'2" and I have no idea what my inseam is) but I'm still getting used to it. It just feels right sized for me.

I went from a FJR 1300 to my '19 Tracer GT. At first it felt like riding a big dirt bike/supermotard compared to the FJR cruise missile.

Can anyone recommend a good phone mount and top case? I think I need a mounting plate and top case but I'm not sure. I'll take a look later today here and on revzilla/cyclegear

I bought a SW-Motech Adventure rack and transferred the Givi top case (and mounting hardware) from the FJR. Works very well so far.

You will be even happier after break in when you can really start to ride it (and when the stock tires are replaced). I often rack up 400+mi on local [ish!] day rides and have done a couple multi-day road trips and have to say that it is a great bike. That triple motor is fantastic - and gets terrific gas mileage to boot.

• Thumbsup 2

17 minutes ago, GTO MIKE said:

Congrats enjoy this jewel of a bike. Also speaking of deals I purchased mine new in June of 2020 at a price of $11,699. ,a full $1,300 off list .Couldn't pass up the deal ! The  dealer wanted it off the floor and I agreed. LOL. 

MIKE

Congratulations to you as well!!

15 minutes ago, Kevin R said:

I went from a FJR 1300 to my '19 Tracer GT. At first it felt like riding a big dirt bike/supermotard compared to the FJR cruise missile.

I bought a SW-Motech Adventure rack and transferred the Givi top case (and mounting hardware) from the FJR. Works very well so far.

You will be even happier after break in when you can really start to ride it (and when the stock tires are replaced). I often rack up 400+mi on local [ish!] day rides and have done a couple multi-day road trips and have to say that it is a great bike. That triple motor is fantastic - and gets terrific gas mileage to boot.

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to get the endurance to ride as far as you do in a day. I'm tired but it hits me the next day too. I'm at around 250/day with 2-3 stops each way on my current bike. I'm hoping to increase that with the GT. 

My neighbor commutes to San Jose for work from San Diego (he's a general contractor and does tons of work up there). I eventually want to do that ride and make it an overnight trip.

Edited by jamespz03

2 hours ago, jamespz03 said:

Some of the buzzing was also in the pegs but I'm guessing that's just normal. 

Oh, yeah.  Lots of us replace those steel pegs with rubber topped ones.  I've got these: https://www.amazon.com/AHL-Footrests-XJR1200-XJR1300-FJR1300/dp/B01MXIFBTE/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=foot+pegs+fjr1300&qid=1618867585&sr=8-3

Link works, but the preview doesn't because reasons.  They're just cheap rubber topped pegs, but they're comfortable and the rubber helps with the buzziness. 

• Thumbsup 1