Test Rode a 2021 - - -

I have been considering adding the slipper clutch, cruise control, and heated grips to my 2015 FJ-09.  Obviously a trade up will get me all these so I thought testing a newer Tracer would be a good idea.  Oops - it's gonna cost me money.  My thoughts are below.  If anyone else has ridden new vs. old, back to back, please share your thoughts.  

I rode my 2015 to the test ride and did about 100 miles on my bike before and after a decently long test ride - pretty good back to back comparison. Opinions will vary as others get experience with the bike so this is just one guy's thoughts - YMMV.  

My thoughts on the 2021 - - -

• Engine feels different, but in a good way.  It seemed a little more refined than my 2015, but it could be the difference of years and miles.  
  • Suspension is way better.  I found some potholes and the bike behaved really well, less jarring than the 2015.  Also got to lean the bike over at real world speeds (thank you Yamaha for good ride leaders who let us really test bikes).  The new bike is much happier leaned over and definitely feels more stable.  
  • Dashboard(s) - seemed intuitive to me (I'm in the 60-70 age group) and not hard to navigate and change settings / views.  
  • Rowdiness - good news - it's still there.  Same heart in the new triple.  
  • Brakes - OK - I didn't do any really hard stops but the brakes seem adequate and not a lot different from my 2015.  
  • Exhaust - It sounds better than my stock 2015.  Same happy whistle at certain speeds but a little more bass across the rev range.  
  • Quick-shifter - gotta have it.  Excellent up and down.  

So, 20 minutes on a monitored test ride is just a sample but I am really impressed.  Once availability at dealers improves, I will be shopping for one of these.  

Ride Safe - 

• Thumbsup 6
  • Thanks 3

love my 2015, but not surprised that the brand new ones are more refined. 2015 definitely had some kinks to work out (bad suspension, fueling, windshield), but now that i've solved those problems I don't see the need to upgrade.

now a new tenere 700 to go with my 2015.. that's another story

• Thumbsup 2

The only thing that tempts me to trade up is the cruise control. Everything else is easy to improve and cheaper than getting a new bike (mine is about to be paid off). I know there are aftermarket solutions for cruise control (the only one I know of is mccruise) but it doesn't look as good as factory and it's quite expensive. My only other complaints with the bike are the seat, which is an easy fix just need to finally decide on one, and the suspension which isn't horrible but could use some improvement. 

Edited by Zach26

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, Zach26 said:

The only thing that tempts me to trade up is the cruise control. Everything else is easy to improve and cheaper than getting a new bike (mine is about to be paid off). I know there are aftermarket solutions for cruise control (the only one I know of is mccruise) but it doesn't look as good as factory and it's quite expensive. My only other complaints with the bike are the seat, which is an easy fix just need to finally decide on one, and the suspension which isn't horrible but could use some improvement. 

I have to disagree with your assessment of the McCruise. I installed it on my 2017 and the step by step instructions made it easy peasy. If you can do a jig saw puzzle you can install the MCCruise but there is no guessing with the McCruise. And the manufacturers are only a phone call/email away if you have questions.

It works flawlessy from 1st gear through 6th. I spoke to a guy with a BMW GS1200 recently and he told me he could use his stock cruise only above 3rd gear. Having not ever had a Yamaha cruise control I can't comment on how good it might be, but I'm not giving up my McCruise for one.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Heli ATP said:

I have to disagree with your assessment of the McCruise. I installed it on my 2017 and the step by step instructions made it easy peasy. If you can do a jig saw puzzle you can install the MCCruise but there is no guessing with the McCruise. And the manufacturers are only a phone call/email away if you have questions.

It works flawlessy from 1st gear through 6th. I spoke to a guy with a BMW GS1200 recently and he told me he could use his stock cruise only above 3rd gear. Having not ever had a Yamaha cruise control I can't comment on how good it might be, but I'm not giving up my McCruise for one.

I agree with you that McCruise looks like a great product and I have no doubts about how well it works. But as an add-on it doesn't look quite as good as factory integrated cruise control and is a bit expensive. However, event though is expensive, I'll probably be buying it in the future because it makes more financial sense than trading up just for that feature. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Without knowing how many miles you have on your 15  If it's low you could do all the things you stated and still save a lot of money and have a bike you're comfortable with I did and I'm happy with it

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, lolocastsb said:

she still looks brand new!

Thanks but he was a dirty boy!

Can't see from the starboard side photo but on the portside you'll see the Razor R shock reservoir and otherwise bits.  A used fastest Red 15 can be upgraded to near 21 levels for a lot less shekels!

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 6/22/2021 at 8:02 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

Thanks but he was a dirty boy!

Can't see from the starboard side photo but on the portside you'll see the Razor R shock reservoir and otherwise bits.  A used fastest Red 15 can be upgraded to near 21 levels for a lot less shekels!

Not too many  less shekels if you're  going up to  890 cc.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, fjray said:

Not too many  less shekels if you're  going up to  890 cc.

Saw a low mile 15 @ 5700, add 2800 (parts only) for a flash, shock, cartridges, slipper, McCruise, lines & pads = 8500 vs 15000 = ∆ -6500

That's a metric ton of shekels!  8500 / 15000 = 56%  For 6500 you could have a nice 250 ADV to plonk around on...

• Thumbsup 1

15 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Saw a low mile 15 @ 5700, add 2800 (parts only) for a flash, shock, cartridges, slipper, McCruise, lines & pads = 8500 vs 15000 = ∆ -6500

That's a metric ton of shekels!  8500 / 15000 = 56%  For 6500 you could have a nice 250 ADV to plonk around on...

just picked up my 2015 with 9k miles for 6700 and thought I was getting a steal!

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Yeah, but its not an 889 cc engine.  Add the  bore job and new pistons and everything and the labor.  I said if you're going to  890 cc. Its only a thought  exercise  anyway.