2021 Tracer- Daytime Visibility

Was out on my [2020] Tracer this past Sunday for a short ride along some less-travelled secondary highways.  The weather was perfect  - twenty three degrees Celsius and not a cloud in the sky.

I was on a long clear stretch of road,  and I could see some cars coming toward me on the same road about a kilometer ahead.  I was really paying attention to them because I thought (but wasn't sure) I saw a motorcycle at the front of the group.   Once it was within 400 meters or so, I could make out the bike, but not that well, as it was really blending in to the vehicle behind it.  It got a little closer and I realized it was the new Tracer.  First one I've seen on the road.  

The issue here is the daytime run ING lights.  I'd like to see it again, but, from a distance, I found it hard to see any daytime running lights on the bike that made it really visible.   The bright sun may have been an issue as well.  All in all, I'm wondering if the smaller light housing on the new model has made it harder to project light.   I still love the bike, and I see that the 9GT has auxilliary lights,  so maybe the simplest answer to this is to just keep the aux lights on all of the time.  

Edited by Jayzonk

• Premium Member

I don't know the vehicular laws where you are regarding headlight modulators but I've run one for decades in addition to other auxiliary front side  and rear lighting, as well asdual horns.

I strongly recommend headlight modulators, the best plug n play unit IMO can be obtained for your Yamaha's LED headlight below.

p115w-h3-fj04_1.jpg

2015 & Newer Yamaha FJ-09, YZF...

• Thumbsup 1

So I presume this is the gizmo that makes the headlights flash?  I personally think that good, strong beams are the best answer.  The flashing can be a bit mezmorizing (at least I have found it somewhat distracting)....Squirrel!!👀

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

I have the new 21 GT. I leave the high beams on in the daytime along with the low beam which is on all the time by default. The lights up above I think Yamaha calls the daytime running lights, and I believe those are on all the time as well. 
I’m still learning since the bike is pretty new, and I’m not riding it a lot since I am waiting for someone to come out with a non torture seat option. That forward slope and one defined spot the seat forces me into against the gas tank is a real design fail. 

• Thumbsup 2

I find that if I intentionally sit up as straight as possible,  the problem goes away.  Other times, I just scoot back a bit and it's fine for awhile. Mind you I'm on a 2020, so I'm not sure if it's more accentuated now? 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

So I presume this is the gizmo that makes the headlights flash?  I personally think that good, strong beams are the best answer.  The flashing can be a bit mezmorizing (at least I have found it somewhat distracting)....Squirrel!!👀

Mesmerizing?   Uh, no!  Annoying, yes, which attracts attention, which is the point.

Added benefit is when following, often those ahead move over allowing a clean, safe pass.

Even bright headlights get lost in the "noise" of traffic.  HLM stand out.

Besides an auxiliary brake light, I also run this...

Share_Image_b9208347-d3c2-4b3f-90fd-a66d

The home of Brake Free, the brightest smart high visibility helmet...

and in addition to primo ATGAT, this...

Take it from a San Francisco motorcycle courier and Chicago commuter, being seen is half the battle.

• Thumbsup 1

10 minutes ago, Jayzonk said:

I find that if I intentionally sit up as straight as possible,  the problem goes away.  Other times, I just scoot back a bit and it's fine for awhile. Mind you I'm on a 2020, so I'm not sure if it's more accentuated now? 

Any tips are appreciated! 😊

Good feedback @Jayzonk

a) It wasn't me - although I'm not too far from you 🙂

b) While more is often better when it comes to lighting/visibility on a bike - I wondered if the single headlight (low beam) plus the LED DRL plus turning lights plus the LED turn signals which also function as DRL would appear quite visible to oncoming or vehicles waiting to turn in front.

Hmm...

• Thumbsup 1

14 minutes ago, Jayzonk said:

I had a 2019 GT and now the 2021 GT and unless you have a miniscule butt, there is very limited room to move back at all on the new seat compared to the previous model. It's not uncomfortable per se - but it did take a bit to get used to. 

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, tclhb said:

Oh yeah, forgot about the turn signals. Every little bit helps. 

The turn signals would be visible at night but I cannot imagine them doing much in bright daylight. 

1 hour ago, rlambke19 said:

Good feedback @Jayzonk

a) It wasn't me - although I'm not too far from you 🙂

b) While more is often better when it comes to lighting/visibility on a bike - I wondered if the single headlight (low beam) plus the LED DRL plus turning lights plus the LED turn signals which also function as DRL would appear quite visible to oncoming or vehicles waiting to turn in front.

Hmm...

Explain what you mean by turning lights.  You already mentioned turn signals so you must mean something else.  Do you mean adaptive cornering lights?

4 minutes ago, Jayzonk said:

Explain what you mean by turning lights.  You already mentioned turn signals so you must mean something else.  Do you mean adaptive cornering lights?

Yeah, sorry - bad description. There are LEDs lights within the main running lights that act as cornering lights and come on when the bike is turned or leaned over a certain degree.

Rob

Well that's cool...the 2021 really added some nice features - the larger panniers, the auxiliary lights, the adaptive cornering lights, the ELECTRONIC SUSPENSION!...it's a bit tempting but I cannot justify making a change at this point.  I just got mine last fall, and it's still the best bike I've ever had, which I can definitely say because I feel more confident on it than any previous bikes.    

At the bike shows, I never see the Tracer getting a serious amount of attention.  The dealers always seem to have one or two left around at the end of the season as well.  I guess the flashy bikes get all of the attention, but I really think the Tracer is the best kept secret out there for general purpose motorcycling, not even considering the price.  For getting from A to B on the road, if I could somehow blind test a bunch of bikes and take them each on that path, I'm pretty sure the Tracer would come out on top, every time, so I'll keep mine for now, despite the improvements.    

• Thumbsup 3