2021 Tracer- Daytime Visibility

On 6/23/2021 at 3:41 PM, rlambke19 said:

That's correct - except in this picture, the light on the left that is illuminated is the low beam. High beam is the right side.

Here's picture of mine without the engine running - so you can see both sets of DRLs minus the headlight.

Rob

IMG_1617 (1).jpeg

So I was wondering... do the amber-coloured LED's differ in brightness when blinking? So for example, do they dim during blinking? These indicators are specific for the USA market. I'm located in Europe, and here, we don't have the amber running lights (like on the top picture...).

On my 2020 went with a couple of small spots from the giant woman.  Last time I had the bike apart for valve check I swapped them for a very similar set but that can be white or amber.  Ran them on my last trip as white but then have changed them to the amber which I think is better for visibility.  I have also changed the turn signals to LEDs.  The front ones are white but change to amber blinking for turn indication.  The back ones are red but go brighter red for brake lights and blinking amber for turn signals.  They are not super bright but the LEDs really  stand out.  

I'm running the spot lights off of a Neutrino Element and can change the brightness from my cell phone.  Brightness is controlled by PWM.  When riding in bright daylight I sometimes run with high beams on and may even up the brightness of the spots.  All to be seen.  

On 6/22/2021 at 1:06 PM, tclhb said:

Any tips are appreciated! 😊

Not sure what I can suggest about the seat as I find the stock seat in the low position very comfortable.  I'm 5'10" weigh 175 pounds with a 31" inseam and sitting on Depends undergarments (those tend to get uncomfortable when full).  Maybe it's the way you rest your feet on the pegs that pushes you forward.

I did a 2,000+ mile ride and never felt the seat was uncomfortable, also glad to have cruise control to rest my right arm and relieve shoulder pain from a torn rotator cuff.  The last 460 miles was in the rain and the side cases stayed dry inside.

Edited by OldBikers

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to be clear that my observation of the lights was just an initial perception, and I was wondering if anyone else had the same perception of the lights.  I haven't been past a 2021 or 2022 Tracer since that time and in those same circumstances, so I would like to hear how others are finding the lights.  

I think it would be interesting to do a "shine test" on a wall or something the dark, from a pre-defined distance, with the previous gen Tracer and the new one.  I suspect it will demonstrate some equivalency in illumination, or some superiority with the new unit.  That's my prediction anyway.  

• Premium Member

The 21s+ headlights may illuminate the road equally well as the prior generation but are almost invisible coming at you or in your mirrors; so conspicuity sucks and the badly need auxiliary front illumination!!!

• Thumbsup 2

I see.  Is there some consensus building around that idea?  I just happened to notice it myself that day.  I hadn't been biased by reading any comments like that prior to observing it.  I still love the new model, though.  I'll take it over the BMW (which I test rode) any day, even if priced very closely.  Love the CP3 and Yamaha reliability.  

• Thumbsup 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I don't always wear the hiviz jacket, but I consider a yellow helmet to be an eye catcher.  I've been told that the handguard lights are also effective, but I've never seen a photo that illustrates that well.

star 2019 me.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise