2021 Tracer- Daytime Visibility

8 hours ago, rlambke19 said:

Yeah, sorry - bad description. There are LEDs lights within the main running lights that act as cornering lights and come on when the bike is turned or leaned over a certain degree.

Rob

Okay, I took a quick look online, so I think I understand this.  it's a different setup, that's for sure.  It looks like the top two lights are the daytime running lights, and the adaptive cornering lights come on within them.

Underneath are two separate lights that are spaced apart like auxiliary lights, but they are the main driving lights.  The one on the left (when you are facing it) is a high beam, and the one on the right is a low beam.  

Is this correct?  It's actually pretty creative.  

2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT looks a seriously impressive package | MCNews

9 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

Okay, I took a quick look online, so I think I understand this.  it's a different setup, that's for sure.  It looks like the top two lights are the daytime running lights, and the adaptive cornering lights come on within them.

Underneath are two separate lights that are spaced apart like auxiliary lights, but they are the main driving lights.  The one on the left (when you are facing it) is a high beam, and the one on the right is a low beam.  

Is this correct?  It's actually pretty creative.  

2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT looks a seriously impressive package | MCNews

That's correct - except in this picture, the light on the left that is illuminated is the low beam. High beam is the right side.

Here's picture of mine without the engine running - so you can see both sets of DRLs minus the headlight.

Rob

IMG_1617 (1).jpeg

Edited by rlambke19

Forget about lighting to improve daytime visibility.  It is a marginal fix at best.

wearing hi-viz clothing is much more effective way to be seen.

bilt_techno_hi_viz_jacket_hi_viz_black.j

Tackle hot weather riding in a mesh jacket that provides both...

You literally pop out of the background a long way off.  Sadly it is not cool image wise.

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

20 minutes ago, nhchris said:

Forget about lighting to improve daytime visibility.  It is a marginal fix at best.

wearing hi-viz clothing is much more effective way to be seen.

bilt_techno_hi_viz_jacket_hi_viz_black.j

Tackle hot weather riding in a mesh jacket that provides both...

You literally pop out of the background a long way off.  Sadly it is not cool image wise.

Forget about lighting, forget about hi-viz.  Find a way to appear on their phone screen and they'll see you.  Until then, ride as if every cage is out to kill you.

• Thumbsup 2

I definitely agree with 2and3cylinders that headlight modulators go a long, LONG way toward getting cagers to notice and hopefully avoid you. Yes, they can annoy. But they have to be seen first which means they accomplish their mission. You can definitely notice the behavioral change  of other drivers when running these versus riding without.

Was also so-o-o glad to see that someone else uses "Squirrel!!" as a meme. (Yay Jayzonk!)

I remember seeing a video of a UK police motorcycle officer trying to redirect traffic on a motorway in a hi-viz jacket, and some car plowed straight into him.  Yikes!  He did rush out into traffic a little too hastily, so I think it's a little hard to say that the hi-viz jacket did nothing for him.  I was trying to find it online, but I cannot.  

Edited by Jayzonk

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

The dealers always seem to have one or two left around at the end of the season as well. 

Not sure that's going to be the case this year and next with both the 21 Tracer and MT09...

I know.  The MT-09 looks amazing, especially in the blue.  Haven't seen an SP version.  Tough to justify having two bikes with the same engine, isn't it?  But Yamaha makes a good case for getting both...

• Premium Member

IMO, Rear and especially front visibility is worse on the 21 than prior years.  I kept the Pumpkin turn signals because I installed super bright LED "bulbs" front & rear. I bought used OEM fronts (from a forum inmate who installed AM units) and installed them on the rear after running a 3rd wire for the running light (yes, I know they should be red not amber). 

Twin 6-diode driving lights, reflective rim tape, amber side marker lights, Blaster-X tail light, auxiliary brake light on rear of Shad top case rack, twin horns, the aforementioned headlight modulator, the DayGlo Hit-Air vest, for bad weather / night riding another SeeMe vest with electroluminescent front side & rear lights that can run solid or flash, and finally the Brakefree helmet light.

I don't think you can do much more other than as said by another, ride like your invisible, and it you're not there they can't kill you, plus remember, a shark dies if it stops moving, and finally, if you can't see it you won't go there (i.e., target fixation), etc...

20170626 FJ09 F & R TS-RL LED BULB RPLMT.jpg

20170626_195543.jpg

20170626_195620.jpg

20180529_221513.jpg

20200404_182743.jpg

20200530_131515.jpg

20201230 Blaster-X.jpg

20201230_191540.jpg

glowrider2.jpg

20210306_175849.jpg

Brakefree 2.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 6/25/2021 at 11:49 AM, Clem Fandango said:

No way I'm adding all that weight to my helmet.

My XL Kabuto Ibuki helmet is about 1800 grams, the Brakefree helmet light is 198 grams, or about 9%.  It is fixed down low and frankly I don't even notice it, both weight wise and aerodynamically.

I've been told it functions very well both during wheel disc braking and engine braking deceleration. 

Now I have neck issues due to herniated disc's at C4~5 and the extra weight does not seem to aggrevate or contribute to the pain I experience.  On my sportier sport tourer it may, as I must look up at more of an acute angle.

Nuf said.

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

With cervical issues, your other sport tourer must be a lot harder to ride comfortably now.  What is it?  Ninja 1000?

98 Honda VTR1000F Superhawk/Firestorm but with +3.5" 5-axis adjustable clips ons, custom saddle, MRW Vario foot pegs (.75" lower and forward, ZG DB, custom StompGrips.

So a lot more comfortable than stock still too much lean angle that between my lumbar & cervical issues, is a real pitn. Tucking in at 140 is now impossible. 😎

The FJ is to me seat up and beg.  First year put lower bars on.  Then back to stock. Now Street Nakeds (+1.375" & more sweep). Even with the bikini screen on, wind blast is tolerable under 120...😝