New 2020 Tracer 900 GT Owner - Trial by Fire…

New owner from South Dakota here. Was on vacation on the west side of the state when I popped into a dealer in Rapid City to see what they had. Turns out they had a 2020 Tracer 900 GT in stock and actually let me take it for a test ride. Liked it and have been missing my FZ1 that I had years ago so I decided to get it. 

Today I rode it home to the east side of the state. 360+ miles, all in A (Attack? Aggressive?) mode. My impressions:

Seat:

The stock seat was more comfortable than I thought it would be from reading here. Although, it could be more comfy. I think I’ll probably send it off to Terry’s Custom Seats after the riding season is over. Going to get a BeadRider in the meantime  

Windscreen:

Not terrible, but not great either. Definitely needs work. Going to try one of those adjustable lip spoiler thingies before buying a whole new shield. Really wish there was a consensus on what the best one was. I’m leaning toward CalSci due to it being vented. I found the vent on my Street Glide to make a pretty big difference. Although, the factory Yamaha touring screen on my old FZ1 was perfect. Maybe the Yamaha touring screen for the Tracer 900 GT would be perfect too…

Footpegs:

I didn’t think they were so bad but I ordered rubber padded ones for the FJR1300. Stock ones are a little too skinny. 

Grips:

Lots of buzziness here. Grip Puppies are on the way. We’ll see how they do. 

All in all I’m pretty happy and pretty impressed. I did the Harley thing for a while but I’m just not a Harley guy. Been missing my old FZ1 so I think this is definitely going to be more my style.

Edited by pokey074
  • Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, pokey074 said:

Windscreen:

Not terrible, but not great either. Definitely needs work. Really wish there was a consensus on what the best one was.

Congratulations on the new bike, it sounds like you are pretty pleased with it so far. 

You will NEVER find one screen that is "the best", on any forum, for any bike because no two riders are the same or have the same wants and needs, way too many variables.  I ended up adapting a Puig touring screen from a Gen II FZ1 for my 2015 FJ which I use in the colder months, when its warmer I use a much smaller screen.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, pokey074 said:

Oh yeah, and I NEED navigation. Trying to figure out if I would be better off mounting a GPS like a Garmin unit, or utilizing a phone mount with my phone. 

I fabricated an above the dash mount with a Ram Mount for my GPS.

image.thumb.png.b3b37a7e7e17afed57ebba515120129a.png

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

5 minutes ago, betoney said:

I fabricated an above the dash mount with a Ram Mount for my GPS.

image.thumb.png.b3b37a7e7e17afed57ebba515120129a.png

Interesting. I like the visibility above the instrument cluster. 

I have a Terry Adcox seat.  Looks a bit odd on the bike since it is much wider than stock but it is all day comfortable.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

52 minutes ago, Clem Fandango said:

Don't mount your phone on the bike if you like your camera. 

Yeah, I'm really leery about mounting my phone to the bike. Much prefer it in my jacket pocket where it's more protected. Sure, I can beam navigation instructions to my Cardo, but I REALLY like having an always-visible map.

IF you care to run a tankbag, using the 'map pocket' (everybody remember 'maps'?) pretty well insulates the phone from most vibration.

Downside is that the screen is not as easily viewable as betoney's setup.

On 7/6/2021 at 3:28 PM, Ride365 said:

I can't recommend the MRA sport touring shield enough, I get ZERO buffeting or turbulence with mine and it's also the best looking as well. :)

You wrote MRA sport touring but AFAIK there is a sport (very short) and a touring version (still looks sporty but a bit taller) and the touring vario (touring + spoiler). If you still have the one you posted before, it is the touring version without the lip.

I remember (that thread was my very first contact with this site 🙂) that you were that enthusiastic when you first got it so it's great to see this recommendation after a few months. To me this is the best looking screen out there by far so I have ordered one to use as a summer screen if the noise isn't too bad. I have a very good working setup (Puig Touring + MRA X-creen spoiler) but it looks ugly and works too well when it's hot.

I'm 6' so hopefully above the buffeting zone. 🤞 I really want this to work. LOVE that look.

Edited by petshark
  • Thumbsup 1