94 octane fuel

• Premium Member

Canada and USA use the AKI octane method, so 94 octane is above what this bike requires. Yamaha recommends 91 or higher (AKI). Octane is not a measure of energy, it's a measure of resistance to pre-ignition, aka knock. Stock, this engine does not have the ability to take advantage of the higher octane rating so the only difference you would notice is less money in your wallet. 

Sometimes when places sell a higher octane fuel like that it's also free of ethanol, whereas their 91-92 octane might have 10% ethanol (E10). If that's the case, then yes you might feel a slight difference in power or see better fuel economy because the E0 has a higher energy content than E10. But even then the difference is going to be pretty subtle. 

• Thumbsup 1

I typically put in the highest octane they have because I feel like I'm taking better care of my bike that way and it is what I'm used to doing.  No real purpose other than to avoid ethanol.  Doesn't hurt the bike in any way as far as I know.

• Premium Member

Discussions about fuel can be confusing because octane rating methods are different in various countries, and ethanol content also varies by locale.

The term "premium" fuel is ambiguous and means different things in different places. In some parts of the USA "premium" means no ethanol, while in other parts of the country everything has 10% ethanol, even "premium." I run 91-92 octane E10 every day because that's the only thing readily available here on the west coast. Ethanol-free fuel is $5+ per gallon and very hard to find. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Garz747 said:

Shell V Power here in Canada is ethanol free.

Is that true in every province? In the USA the V Power is E0 in some states and E10 in others.

• Premium Member

Locally I run 90 octane,  none ethanol, in  mine.  Never had any pinging or anything.   Also great  for lawn equipment  which gets stored for  half a year here.  I  don't  even  put in  fuel stabilizer and things start right up the  next  season. 

• Thumbsup 1