Friendly Reminder

On 7/28/2021 at 5:37 AM, Acee said:

Er, isn't that supposed to be replaced at 24k miles?

Yep, just looked it up.  Who actually follows all the periodic maintenance items? The owner manual listed 30 items. 

I guessing the average person doesn't take their tracer/FJ off-roading often.  I at least have +300 miles of dirt ,loose dirt, and gravel roads. 

• Thumbsup 2

Yeah, looks pretty good, actually, and certainly isn't close to creating a restriction or anything.

But why are motorcycle air filters always full of dead bees? Never figured out why motorcycles seem to slurp up so many bees.

Maybe bees are just the only recognizable species amongst the general filth and arthropod mush.

Just changed mine at ~20,000kms/12.5k miles, and it was almost identical to this.  I never ride offroad either, but it's very dusty here.  

I can't imagine doubling this on one air filter.

5 hours ago, bwringer said:

Yeah, looks pretty good, actually, and certainly isn't close to creating a restriction or anything.

But why are motorcycle air filters always full of dead bees? Never figured out why motorcycles seem to slurp up so many bees.

Maybe bees are just the only recognizable species amongst the general filth and arthropod mush.

Yeah, mine had a few bees, and a bunch of other... Unidentifiable remains.  The bees seemed pretty intact though, while the rest were just parts.

Honestly, a pretty insane amount of bugs, but given what it's like to ride here at dusk - you can get literally blinded by bugs; as in, completely obscured visor, disgustingly fast.

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2021 at 11:05 AM, Your_Boy_Yuriy said:

I guessing the average person doesn't take their tracer/FJ off-roading often.  I at least have +300 miles of dirt ,loose dirt, and gravel roads. 

How did it perform on those roads? It is not really an adventure bike but I guess if the surface is not too bad it should handle it well ... care to comment? I bought mine with the intention of occasionally taking it off road, but since I'm more of a street rider, those instances are expected to be occasional ...

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

8 minutes ago, Grumpy Goat said:

How did it perform on those roads? It is not really an adventure bike but I guess if the surface is not too bad it should handle it well ... care to comment? I bought mine with the intention of occasionally taking it off road, but since I'm more of a street rider, those instances are expected to be occasional ...

7938CFE6-6BD1-4A92-92FD-B3D8B0F8CA54.thumb.png.c84662d318a577e4f5e10e9e0e0f6ce9.png
Bike handles good with roads with light gravel like the pictures above. can easily handle 20 mph cruising and top speed 40ish before something sketchy happens.

48030A45-2777-47B5-8F68-AFDF158ECB88.thumb.jpeg.24299debbd14779bca177b044b681f2c.jpeg

Handles pretty well is hand sand…lol 

0297130C-B9BF-40AC-A5EC-9E22A9DB5BF2.thumb.png.1c2b82ef3602141a374b7ff048faabbb.png

lastly with small rocks you just have to be more careful. I was more afraid of bottoming out. Go slower and there’s less chance of bottoming out the shocks and the oil pan. Which I did both before.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Goat said:

I've got a few miles on dirt under my belt. I think the biggest limiting factor is going to be the tires. Riding on dirt/gravel on what are basically slicks will never be confidence inspiring.  😮  But since the bike is fairly light, for a sport tourer, it's not too bad if you take it easy and don't ask for too much traction!

• Thumbsup 2

On 9/4/2021 at 5:33 PM, Your_Boy_Yuriy said:

Bike handles good with roads with light gravel like the pictures above. can easily handle 20 mph cruising and top speed 40ish before something sketchy happens.

Handles pretty well is hand sand…lol 

lastly with small rocks you just have to be more careful. I was more afraid of bottoming out. Go slower and there’s less chance of bottoming out the shocks and the oil pan. Which I did both before.

Excellent ... thanks for the comments and sharing pictures of the conditions in which you rode. Good point on the suspension travel on those roads. Speeds sound fine for me for what I might want to do. Did you make any adjustments to the suspension or tire pressures beforehand? Looks like stock road tires, so maybe Michelin Anakee Adventure tires would make a difference ...?

Anakee Adventure.jpg

On 9/4/2021 at 7:05 PM, Kevin R said:

I've got a few miles on dirt under my belt. I think the biggest limiting factor is going to be the tires. Riding on dirt/gravel on what are basically slicks will never be confidence inspiring.  😮  But since the bike is fairly light, for a sport tourer, it's not too bad if you take it easy and don't ask for too much traction!

Thanks for the input as well. Looking maybe at Michelin Anakee Adventure tires (supposedly an 80/20 tire) as a replacement, and they should be better than straight street tires for light offroad.