• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Second valve inspection

mike

The valves on my bike were checked and adjusted at 18,000 miles. As with most bikes, all of the exhaust valves were tight and had to be shimmed. I am pushing 32,000 miles now and am wondering how many of you had to adjust the valves on the second round? Do they hold their clearance better after the first adjustment or do they continue to wear at the same rate?

Thanks in advance

Mike

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
42 minutes ago, mike said:

The valves on my bike were checked and adjusted at 18,000 miles. As with most bikes, all of the exhaust valves were tight and had to be shimmed. I am pushing 32,000 miles now and am wondering how many of you had to adjust the valves on the second round? Do they hold their clearance better after the first adjustment or do they continue to wear at the same rate?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Mine were tight on the first inspection (@23k) but within spec on the 2nd (@44k) and 3rd (@64k) inspection. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

I will be able to report on the second check soon enough. All exhaust were tight on first check at 23K miles, with evidence of tracking on the heel of one lobe. I think most reports of the second and subsequent checks were encouraging.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member

Can you hear them? I could hear them at 20k. They were all tight. I'm at 35k miles and I can't hear them yet. So long as they don't make noise, I'll check them again at 40k miles probably in the late spring. 

(This is not the most scientific method of checking, but this motor has very distinct sounds that make it crazy making and/or a little easier to troubleshoot)

17 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Can you hear them? I could hear them at 20k. They were all tight. I'm at 35k miles and I can't hear them yet. So long as they don't make noise, I'll check them again at 40k miles probably in the late spring. 

(This is not the most scientific method of checking, but this motor has very distinct sounds that make it crazy making and/or a little easier to troubleshoot)

You will never "hear" a tight valve.....the gap closes and it actually gets quieter.  You may hear a loose valve but the concept of hearing a tight valve is wrong in every sense.  

• Thumbsup 6

7 hours ago, CRFan250 said:

You will never "hear" a tight valve.....the gap closes and it actually gets quieter.  You may hear a loose valve but the concept of hearing a tight valve is wrong in every sense.  

For the most part, yes… except when they get so tight they are stuck open and will have a slight “whirling” sound at higher RPM’s. Usually that’s on a multi valve head with several tight-and-stuck-open ex valves. Smaller engines won’t even start. 

-Skip

• Haha 1