2021 tracer 9 GT seat Mod

Korak

Great review,  I have been curious myself about the 6 vs 2, initially I heard people liking the 6 more.  I've been pondering dropping the 6+2 sku just to simplify things. 

and could you clarify "Loosened all the mounting bolts"?  (as I keep trying to troubleshoot for this one customer), like the 4 bottom bracket bolts or are there others you loosened? 

Thanks Ned!

To clarify how I installed the Shim Kit. 

1st - I installed the (4) bolts holding the bracket far enough that they were fully engaged but still very loose.  This insured the shims stayed in place. 

2nd - I lifted and wiggled the tank to install the (2) bolts. Then I tightened these bolts. Then tightened the (4) bracket bolts.  Finally I torqued all bolts and installed all of the plastic.

image.thumb.png.a49042dc35076f5dd3775498c330b085.png

I used the info on jk3d site and also watched this video.

Edited by TracerNed
corrected spelling
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

I am Joe's "awkward customer" so thank you all for your comments, suggestions and help.

I had another go at installing the mod this evening and it went in really smoothly.  I have no idea what I did wrong the first time, but something was obviously binding somewhere that I didn't spot.   Perhaps doing it at the weekend helped rather than doing it after work when tired/hassled! 😆

I haven't ridden the bike since modding it yet, but just sitting on it feels like a more natural position - I think this will help a lot.

Joe - Thank you for your patience, and please accept my apologies for wasting your time. 

Cheers,

Jon

Edited by FZ1FZ1
  • Thumbsup 3

• 1 year later...
On 11/25/2021 at 12:10 PM, Clegg78 said:

FYI,  I just released a mod to shim up the forward portion of the seat for the Tracer 9GT.  I  worked with a couple forum members here to design it.   Likely cheaper than a new seat or reupholstering the existing seat as well.  

https://jk3d.us/product/yamaha-tracer9-mt09-seat-slope-mod/ 

2021-11-22_10-21-53.png

Hi Clegg78, will your mod work on the 9GT+.

Salty

On 11/24/2021 at 8:10 PM, Clegg78 said:

FYI,  I just released a mod to shim up the forward portion of the seat for the Tracer 9GT.  I  worked with a couple forum members here to design it.   Likely cheaper than a new seat or reupholstering the existing seat as well.  

https://jk3d.us/product/yamaha-tracer9-mt09-seat-slope-mod/ 

2021-11-22_10-21-53.png

Can't wait to install my kit as well.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...

Contemplating on getting the this kit aswell, but being in "a land far far away" does make the kit a bit on the pricey side for me. Adds another 20 dollar for the shipping and possibly another 25 for customs procedures.....

I would say it might be worth it if I knew it did the job for me, so from a practical point of view would temporarily putting 6/8mm washers in the location of the shim bracket and leaving the rubber grommets with the centered hole in place (lifting the tank, and looking like shit) still offer the opportunity to test this for the slope correction? 

17 hours ago, NJ1000 said:

Clegg78 - it sounds like you're suggesting the 6+2 on the gt+ and the 8 on the gt.  What's the difference on the bikes causing this?  Thanks.  I've got the 24 gt+

The updated seat mount on the GT+ changed things a little bit for the better.  A number of GT+ riders use the 8mm still, but the 6mm may be enough for most. 

6 hours ago, SVincent said:

Contemplating on getting the this kit aswell, but being in "a land far far away" does make the kit a bit on the pricey side for me. Adds another 20 dollar for the shipping and possibly another 25 for customs procedures.....

I would say it might be worth it if I knew it did the job for me, so from a practical point of view would temporarily putting 6/8mm washers in the location of the shim bracket and leaving the rubber grommets with the centered hole in place (lifting the tank, and looking like shit) still offer the opportunity to test this for the slope correction? 

Yeah that’s all true.   I seriously wish shipping was cheaper.  (And really from some other feedback people have told me if I just charged $40-$50 for the product and did free shipping they would be happy… but that would also screw people at customs time…)   I had a sweet setup last year where I was shipping everything as 1st class letter mail, but USPS blocked that earlier this year sadly. 

(And I did play some games to lower customs fees for people… and it resulted in me getting a number of packages destroyed to returned when I did that … oops!… so much for trying to save people money!)

Anyway - yes if you wanted to test you could just throw washers under the seat bracket, get some longer screws,  and deal with the tank doing its thing as a proof of concept. 

8 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

Yeah that’s all true.   I seriously wish shipping was cheaper.  (And really from some other feedback people have told me if I just charged $40-$50 for the product and did free shipping they would be happy… but that would also screw people at customs time…)   I had a sweet setup last year where I was shipping everything as 1st class letter mail, but USPS blocked that earlier this year sadly. 

(And I did play some games to lower customs fees for people… and it resulted in me getting a number of packages destroyed to returned when I did that … oops!… so much for trying to save people money!)

Anyway - yes if you wanted to test you could just throw washers under the seat bracket, get some longer screws,  and deal with the tank doing its thing as a proof of concept. 

Thanks Clegg😉👍. You can't help it that I'm halfway across the globe from where you are. And loopholes only go sofar. We could get packages in without customs fees untill they decided to stop the cheap import of Chinese goods and now there is no minimal threshold anymore under which you could avoid the fee.

Anywhow I might try the washer option for proof of concept and if it works order one anyway... Or maybe I can make it a combined shipment from more dutch T9 forum members.

I presume that there is no option of having it printed somewhere else without the risk of losing your interlecutal property/design?

Who would have thought 25 years back that we would have 3d printer capabilities which enable us to create great distances between the creator and manufacturing, but the same progressions would limit the use of this because stealing designs and not respecting IP has lowered in the same pace. 

Ah well, reality is beautiful I guess, we need to try and make it better in our own circle of influence and accept that it ends there and we cannot change the rest of the world.