2021 tracer 9 GT seat Mod

Korak

I could not get used to the aggressive slope forward of the 9 gt seat.  I had Motorcycle Upholstery in California modify it for me.  Not perfect, but a definite improvement.  The issue is the seat pan, not the seat padding, which is minimal.  Motorcycle Upholstery placed more foam and Gel inside the seat and it is definitely more comfortable. However, I still find pushing myself back into the seat which tries to make you slide into the tank. As you see in the photos, I added padding to lift the seat higher as I have a 36 inch inseam.

Again, not perfect, but until the aftermarket catches up,  this is a great improvement over stock.  

Motorcycleupholstery.com. ask for Jaycee

seat1.thumb.jpg.05aec8457680f64487e98f788e88de77.jpgseat2.thumb.jpg.1c7e24bc1d2858465d02a51e773c6dee.jpgseat3.thumb.jpg.5dcd6d14c4924f541361ef77897f28eb.jpg

• Thumbsup 4

FYI,  I just released a mod to shim up the forward portion of the seat for the Tracer 9GT.  I  worked with a couple forum members here to design it.   Likely cheaper than a new seat or reupholstering the existing seat as well.  

https://jk3d.us/product/yamaha-tracer9-mt09-seat-slope-mod/ 

2021-11-22_10-21-53.png

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, Korak said:

Motorcycle Upholstery placed more foam and Gel inside the seat and it is definitely more comfortable. However, I still find pushing myself back into the seat which tries to make you slide into the tank. As you see in the photos, I added padding to lift the seat higher as I have a 36 inch inseam.

Give it a while to break-in before making final judgement, when I got my seat made the builder told me to give it approximately 1,000 miles for the foam to break-in and conform to your dimensions. 

A lot of riders balk at the cost of a custom seat but what price can you put on all-day comfort?  Like you, I have a long inseam and the taller seat is an amazing improvement.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Hi Folks,

I didn't like the slope on my T9GT either. I think Clegg78's solution is very clever, and a bargain to boot.

But I also didn't like that in the higher setting, the seat was more forward than in the low setting. That makes no sense. Taller people need the seat to be farther to the rear, not closer to the bars. So I made a couple changes so that I can put the seat in the high position at the tank, and the back of seat in the low position. This levelled out the seat slope and gave me the extra room to scoot back on the seat.

It's much more comfortable for me now. I still don't like how the seat curves up at the back, but it's a lot more comfortable than it was. 

Cheers!

Craig

seat 1.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

17 minutes ago, Craig in Alabama said:

Hi Folks,

I didn't like the slope on my T9GT either. I think Clegg78's solution is very clever, and a bargain to boot.

But I also didn't like that in the higher setting, the seat was more forward than in the low setting. That makes no sense. Taller people need the seat to be farther to the rear, not closer to the bars. So I made a couple changes so that I can put the seat in the high position at the tank, and the back of seat in the low position. This levelled out the seat slope and gave me the extra room to scoot back on the seat.

It's much more comfortable for me now. I still don't like how the seat curves up at the back, but it's a lot more comfortable than it was. 

Cheers!

Craig

yeah as Korak mentions , what changes did you make, I am interested in hearing about that. 

OK, I'll give it a shot.

None of my pieces are pretty, but you can't see them anyway once the seat is on the bike.

Since the seat would now be in the rearmost (low) position at the back, it wouldn't reach the high seat support in the front. So I put together some stiff rubber pieces I had laying around, cut to shape. They extend the seat support by about 1/2 an inch and are about 3/8 inch thick. Attached by zip ties. This could be made out of anything really.

1205657943_seatextension.thumb.jpg.b6a8bab7908324a708c498549a6e6499.jpg

Now I needed support for the front lip of the seat since it wouldn't be resting on anything. I've used modelling clay in the past for various projects and thought that would be perfect. I used FIMO. Easy to work with and bakes hard in the oven in 30 minutes. Is not brittle when it hardens, so it was perfect. I molded it so that a front portion would slide into the lower seat support and then left the rest of the FIMO in a bulge. The idea was that when I put the seat on it would smash the FIMO into the exact size and shape I needed (like a big Plastigage). I put the FIMO into a baggie for ease of removal so it wouldn't get stuck to anything. Baked for 30 minutes. I also added some additional "home made" rubber bumpers for the seat to rest on. Attached to the plastic piece underneath by zip ties.

599466685_clayinsert.thumb.jpg.f5a6dba0af096fdecef11644b9abd232.jpgIMG_20211125_123556_3.thumb.jpg.f23309b497d7e23dc532e1fa8558bbae.jpg

I hope that makes sense. If not I can clarify. All in, I spent less than $3 on the FIMO at Michaels hobby shop. The rest of the stuff I had in the garage. Everything is reversible. The seat is very stable and I'm pretty happy with the results. I've only put about 100 miles on the bike since the mod but I think it's a keeper!

Cheers!

Craig 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Craig in Alabama said:

Taller people need the seat to be farther to the rear, not closer to the bars.

I'm 6', 33" inseam, and thought the same thing.

...until my instructor kept harping on me to move my hips forward - it's actually more comfortable, and the bike is more stable.

I mean, to each their own - ride how you're best comfortable, for sure.

All that said, I don't care for the downward slope of the stock seat, either.  Fixed that with a Seat Concepts kit.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• 5 months later...
On 5/14/2022 at 5:01 PM, MotoUpholstery said:

I am able to Lower or Raise seat heights, add Luimoto Gold Gel for long distance comfort, add a memory foam topper for short distance comfort, and make custom seat covers with any design or style that you like such as diamonds, channels, and spider webs.

As a licensed expert racer I have insight into more than just the upholstery portion of the bike seat, such as the grip of the vinyl cover, the type/quality/firmness of foam to use so that you can ride in the proper geometry of the bike for smoothness and comfort while maintaining the ability to feel the rear tire when it moves on you.

Be aware that on the Tracer seat, that you cannot make it completely flat because you are limited by the shape of the seat pan, and I do not recommend just adding parts/pieces to the front or back of the seat where it clips/screws in unless you are willing to modify your suspension settings to allow for proper riding geometry.

Feel free to ask me questions as I am honored to be a part of our community.

If I can be of assistance with questions or want me to work on your seat I do ship all over the world. Turnaround time is always quick so we can get right back out there.

Jaycee #600

MotorcycleUpholstery.com

Where is your business located ?

Also, what kind of pricing are we looking at, depending on the options?

Have you done any tracers yet - new or old?

Any pictures of the completed seats and customer feedback that you can post?

• Thumbsup 1