• Supporting Member

I haven't installed speed bleeders on the bike but instead use a speed bleeder tool which I can use on all of my vehicles.

I have had this one for over 10 years and use it regularly for brake servicing.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/motion-pro-hydraulic-brake-bleeder?sku_id=173875

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

I have Speed Bleeders on my FJ, and they work exactly as advertised.   I can’t image it would be any different on a Niken; the front calipers are just farther apart.

I also use the same one-way valve bleeder tool that @betoney linked above.   It’s probably overkill to use them both, but it makes bleeding and fluid flushes quick & easy. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

a speed bleeder tool

That aluminum can must have a check valve in it?

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
52 minutes ago, knyte said:

That aluminum can must have a check valve in it?

Yes, it has a one way check valve, fluid flows out and no air flows back in.  It makes brake bleeding or a fluid flush very simple.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

I reached out to Whitney at Speed Bleeders.  https://store-speedbleeder-com.3dcartstores.com

Note: there are multiple companies that reference Speed Bleeders. My understanding is that this company is the original US one. 

The size(s) for your application is as follows:

Front..left SB8125L, right SB8125LL
Rear...SB8125L

I followed up with Whitney at Speed Bleeders to confirm this wasn't a typo since I expected the front left and front right bleeders  to be the same size with a different rear, but she confirmed the following:

"Yes that’s correct left SB8125L and right SB8125LL.  This part has a longer shank area, from the hex down is longer.  The bleed port must be deeper on the right side.  Both bleeders are M8 x 1.25 just one is longer than the other."

Thanks, Whitney

Speed Bleeder Products

888 879 7016

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member

That’s the same configuration as the FJ, with the longer LL bleed screw in the right front.  

I keep old motor oil bottles for collecting ‘random fluids’ in the shop, and take them in along with all my used motor oil to recycle.   I typically take them into my local Walmart, and I’ve never had them ask any questions… 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

The size(s) for your application is as follows:

Front..left SB8125L, right SB8125LL
Rear...SB8125L

If you're interested... there is a photo of the OE bleeders and the speed bleeders that I put on the bike (by Goodridge) in this post .

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, piotrek said:

If you're interested... there is a photo of the OE bleeders and the speed bleeders that I put on the bike (by Goodridge) in this post .

Super helpful. Thanks. Will post photos of Niken specific installation. 

2019 Niken GT

I see you are in Charlotte NC.  LOL I have a friend who lives there who complains about the very high water/sewer costs.

I will usually put old brake fluid back into an empty bottle and recycle it on one of the recycle days they have here.  You may be able to take it to a car parts place.  Know they take oil and maybe transmission fluids.  I do not keep new brake fluid on the shelf long unless it is in a metal container.

Edited by PhotoAl

• Supporting Member
On 12/2/2021 at 8:37 PM, piotrek said:

I have Speed Bleeders on my FJ-09. Very convenient.

They are a bit of a pain when you want to flush the system to replace/upgrade the lines 🤐.

Can you clarify why it's painful to replace/upgrade the lines with speed bleeders on?

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Can you clarify why it's painful to replace/upgrade the lines with speed bleeders on?

The check valve doesn't allow you to easily purge the lines for removal. You would normally let gravity do the work or use a vacuum. It's all doable in the end, just have to plan accordingly. Now you know.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
57 minutes ago, piotrek said:

The check valve doesn't allow you to easily purge the lines for removal. You would normally let gravity do the work or use a vacuum. It's all doable in the end, just have to plan accordingly. Now you know.

That’s a valid point I hadn’t considered.  I installed the speed bleeders at the same time I did the Galfer brake lines, and purged the old lines with the original bleed screws still in place.   A vacuum setup of some sort really helps with that process…

• Thumbsup 1