I am having difficulty in installing my spiegler SS brake lines, need HELP

Rdecae81

so the rear lines were tedious but straight forward.

My issue is with the front brake lines.

I have disconnected the front Master Cylinder and Front Left Caliper lines and then discounted the hard lines right next to the Horn

but the two lines coming from the ABS unit and going to the front connect to a hard line somewhere on the left side of the bike and I cannot determine how to remove that rubber/hard line junction box

I have all the fairing removed and the tank removed.  I can see the rubber lines going down next to the frame on the left side, but I cannot see where those rubber lines are connecting to the hard lines

to me it appears the frame hides the connection point

any help is appreciated

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

If you haven’t already, it will help to remove the air box, too.  

As I recall the connection block that you’re referring to is on the left side towards the rear… once those rubber lines from the ABS pump disappear, the fitting it just out of sight.   It’s that same weird ‘double square’ fitting you had on the rear, and at the hard line connection point up under the steering stem. 

My suggestion:   Just cut the hard lines to remove them:  I cut mine from the bottom as far back as I could, and again a few inches back from the steering stem.   Makes them MUCH easier to remove, and there is zero probablility you’ll ever need to use them again. 

Good luck!  You’re right:  It’s not a hard job, but it is tedious.

-Scott 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

@Rdecae81 - Another point:  If you cut the hard lines, you don’t have to undo the connections between the rubber lines and the hard lines:  Just unbolt the ‘double square’ fitting from the frame, and pull the sections loose.  As I recall, there’s one bolt that runs through both blocks and into the frame. 

• Thumbsup 2

so the bolt that is under the throttle connection was the key.  Yes once you loosen that bolt the "block" comes loose and you can remove the hard lines.   anyway the OEM lines are removed and new lines are installed.  Still lots of little things to do to finish the routing and make sure the lines are not rubbing any frame or fixed objects.  I am contacting Spiegler as my rear line from the rear caliper to the ABS unit seems short.  And the fitting at the ABS unit is not blue. All other fittings are blue so not sure if I got the correct length line.  So will have to deal with Spiegler on that.  but to be honest as I had the rear fairing pieces removed and passenger footpegs removed installing the rear lines was pretty easy.  Front not so much.

• Thumbsup 2

ok so a public service announcement.  Make sure you buy the CORRECT spiegler kit for the GT

I purchased KIT S-YA0320  the correct kit for 2019-2020 GT is S-YA0321

Some how I missed that and the rear caliper to ABS line is to short and will not fit.  And if like me you have already installed all other lines, and the rear caliper to ABS line is your last line, you are out of luck.  Now you have to remove all the lines, package it all back up, send it in for a credit, order the correct kit and then reinstall all the lines

:-(

• Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Rdecae81 said:

Just spoke with Spiegler and what a great company.  There are shipping me a rear caliper to ABS unit line.  So I will not have to remove all the lines etc.  As always Spiegler is great to work with.

That's great news!  Good to hear that they took care of the customer. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 1 year later...

I kind of disagree about Spiegler being a great company.  I'm in the middle of trying to do this job (with the correct kit), but none of the lines are labeled as they claim they should be in the installation directions.  There are no labels at all.  Anyone have pics that might help me figure out which line is which?  There's one end with a 90 deg angle on it that doesn't match up with any of the existing lines, so that's confusing also.  I also got one fitting that is not the correct color, so maybe that's my clue that it's the rear ABS?

Edited by Yamajank

• Premium Member

Maybe you gotta returned set they shouldn't sent out again

It's been so long since I replaced him with the Speiglers I don't remember when I have to look And even then I maybe can't tell

Maybe email them and ask them to send you a photo of a set with the labels on it so you can figure it out.

Did you get the little end fitting vice pivoting tool?

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Maybe you gotta returned set they shouldn't sent out again

It's been so long since I replaced him with the Speiglers I don't remember when I have to look And even then I maybe can't tell

Maybe email them and ask them to send you a photo of a set with the labels on it so you can figure it out.

Did you get the little end fitting vice pivoting tool?

Pivot tool yes. Thanks. I'm figuring it out by process of elimination. 

• Thumbsup 1

So install went ok.  Took way longer than I wanted.  However, I'm getting mostly air from the left caliper using a vacuum bleeder.  The right caliper is good which is really weird to me because they are basically connected it seems.  The rear is good to go.  I noticed in the directions for pivoting the end piece that it should only be one direction and no more than 180 deg.  Well, I had to do one of those in that area because they weren't labeled and I had to flip the over fender line and I'm wondering if I damaged something internally on that line?  Otherwise a knowledgable friend of mine thinks there's maybe something clogged in the bleeder screw or caliper.  Thoughts?

Edited by Yamajank

• Premium Member

Did you use Yellow NG Teflon tape on the bleeder nipples and/or apply heavy grease around them during bleeding?

If a connection or bleed nipple is compromised normally brake fluid will seep from it when the system is adequately pressurized.

Did you use a zip tie or rubber band around the brake lever and grip overnight? 

If nothing is obvious...

Mix up some dish detergent & water that is very bubbly or buy some toy bubble solution and dribble it around any suspect connections and apply the brakes and look for bubbles increasing in size.  If you use the vacuum bleeder with the soap you may be able to observe it being drawn in.

Or remove the suspect line and install the banjo bolts and washers then nuts that fit, plug one banjo bolt with putty and tape wrap, apply the soap and blow compressed air (nozzle with a tapered rubber tip) into the opposite banjo bolt and look for seepage.

I did nothing with the bleeder nipples.  The one that is giving me trouble does seem kind of loose though.  I'm thinking of ordering a set of speed bleeders.  I did nothing over night because it was so strange that the right caliper was bleeding properly and the left one wasn't.  I talked with the Spiegler people.  They don't think I damaged anything in the fitting by going past 180 or moving a little back the other way.  So I think it's down to crud in the caliper and maybe a bad bleeder screw.  

Turns out I think the vacuum bleeder was pulling air from the bleeder.  Maybe I was opening it too much?  Maybe it was slightly loose.  But with another set of hands we just did an old school bleed and it all worked out.  I wish I would have done a back to back comparison but it’s so damn cold and wet here that I just wanted to get them on and be done with it.  STG claims they won’t take them back anyway so I figured what’s the difference.  It would be hard to believe that I’d prefer the stock lines.  I had my buddy who is an instructor and ex racer do the ABS and he actually did a stoppy before he could find some gavel and get the front ABS to kick in.  Off to the Dragon in a few weeks!  Thanks everyone