Valve clearance check (timing of) in the real world.

dazzler24

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

I've always done mine with the airbox removed.

Can you get access to the adjusters with it still in-situ?

Nyet!

Fug, screw the Ruskis!

Lo

Or Not without a borescope and robotic screwdriver.  

6 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

I've always done mine with the airbox removed.

Can you get access to the adjusters with it still in-situ?

Right; I don't think there's a sane way to reach the adjusters with the airbox in the way.

• Thumbsup 1

Did my valve check and adjust at 24k.  Probably too long await as all exhaust valve shims needed to be swapped out and only 1 intake was on the border. Replaced all at max clearance allowable. I’ll check/adjust at 40k the next time. 

• Thumbsup 1

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, ItsTracerTime said:

Not sure, I haven't done it yet but was curious if it was possible

Ah OK.  So I think that 'no' is the the short answer when it comes to being able to access the screws with the airbox still attached - and by the looks of some responses above by the experienced it confirms it.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 2:43 AM, dazzler24 said:

Ah OK.  So I think that 'no' is the the short answer when it comes to being able to access the screws with the airbox still attached - and by the looks of some responses above by the experienced it confirms it.

You are correct lol... Unless you have a tiny screwdriver and can get a weird angle I don't think it's doable.

Syncing made the bike feel smoother, although that could be placebo

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, ItsTracerTime said:

You are correct lol... Unless you have a tiny screwdriver and can get a weird angle I don't think it's doable.

Syncing made the bike feel smoother, although that could be placebo

How far 'off' was it before you adjusted?

I can say/vouch that it really is noticeable if your sync is off and you can pull them all into line again.  Depends on how off they were will vary your bikes feedback of course.

Whatever the case, you now have the tool to be able to do the job whenever you're in there or feel that the vibes are creeping back in. 🙂

I couldn’t get to them with airbox on.  

1,800 miles later bike runs great.  Unscientific but bike seems to get better gas mileage.  Always wonder if I got everything back together ok, particularly the cooling system.  1st day out got a good heat test.  Rode their Nashville TN in stop n stop n go traffic.  Coolant temp was going to 223 to 224 and licking the fan on and cooling to under 215 before turning off.  Then sit and repeat!  Airbox temp was over 100 a few times!  Wearing full gear so I sweated!  
Currently in Jonestown ND and headed to Canada tomorrow.  Ride up thru Michigan, across Big Mac to UP and west across UP, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

I couldn’t get to them with airbox on.  

1,800 miles later bike runs great.  Unscientific but bike seems to get better gas mileage.  Always wonder if I got everything back together ok, particularly the cooling system.  1st day out got a good heat test.  Rode their Nashville TN in stop n stop n go traffic.  Coolant temp was going to 223 to 224 and licking the fan on and cooling to under 215 before turning off.  Then sit and repeat!  Airbox temp was over 100 a few times!  Wearing full gear so I sweated!  
Currently in Jonestown ND and headed to Canada tomorrow.  Ride up thru Michigan, across Big Mac to UP and west across UP, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

If you are crazy enough to come through Chicago or at least the northern burbs let me know

Closest I got was Middlebury Indiana.  Nice small town, KOA was great   Next morning rode to sister’s lake house in Jackson MI.  I’ve talked about my tether  on my Garmin Zumo XT, well it saved the unit again!  2nd time it has come off mount!  Mount works well if it is clicked in correctly but not the best locking mechanism.

currently in Indian Head SK, very nice campground.  Tent camping in grass, RV pull thru spot but nice grass besides the pull thru so a nice campsite.  Last night was a cabin at Jamestown, ND.  Also very nice but 1 mile of gravel road getting there sharpened my skills :-).  

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 2