Picture of heated grips connector?

• 6 months later...

Hi all, I'm fitting some heed crash bars to my 2023 tracer 9. Will want to upgrade to oem hetated grips at some point. Do I need to remove all the panels to do this? And can I prior to fitting the crash bars make the connector accessible so I can reach them and maybe install the heated grips without taking the crashbars off and the panels? 

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, SVincent said:

Anybody? They will arrive on Monday.... Can I prepare for the heated grips or will I need to remove the crashbars when that time has come? 

Can you remove the plastics without removing the crash bars? (I'm not familiar with all crashbars so I don't know what is possible, on my VFR the crashbars never need to be removed to get the plastics off)  The connectors should be behind the right side shroud.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

8 hours ago, betoney said:

Can you remove the plastics without removing the crash bars? (I'm not familiar with all crashbars so I don't know what is possible, on my VFR the crashbars never need to be removed to get the plastics off)  The connectors should be behind the right side shroud.

Thanks betoney, but from what I gather the big plastic side panel can only be removed when the crashbars are removed. See picture of the heed bars below.

Heed2.thumb.jpg.69e82067845c4ce49760e46a6e384f3e.jpg

7 hours ago, piotrek said:

What @betoney said. From the Service Manual (2019)... #4 showing leads from the grips. They plug into connectors inside a rubber boot. Follow the lines on the sketch.

image.png.9643fb104a5b765a13e9dfcf2b56ab02.png

Thanks piotrek, but if this is from a  2019 manual it might not apply to my 2023 model (but not sure of course) 

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, SVincent said:

Thanks piotrek, but if this is from a  2019 manual it might not apply to my 2023 model (but not sure of course) 

Oops... sorry didn't notice/read. Can you locate any external fasteners on these panels? It would suck indeed to have to remove the crash bars to be able to remove the plastics.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

You should be able to pop the panel off.  There is one 4mm screw by the headlights and three push rivets near the bottom of the panel.  Once those are removed you grip the top of the panel and pull toward you (it's held in by a rubber grommet) then once free from the grommet lift it up (there is a hook near the bottom).

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, SVincent said:

Thanks betoney, but from what I gather the big plastic side panel can only be removed when the crashbars are removed. See picture of the heed bars below.

I would check how close the panels are to the crash bar, you might be able to un fasten the panel and then slide it out from behind the crash bar. 

Considering how many times I have removed the panels for wiring in add-ons or performing maintenance, as @piotrek mentioned it would indeed suck if you had to remove the crash bars every time the plastics come off. 

I don't have upper crash bars on my FJ, only lower engine protection.  On my VFR I have SW Motech crash bars and on first glance it looks like the panels cant be removed but they pop out slightly and then slide rearward just clearing the crash bar.  The panels on your Gen III Tracer might be similar.  Good Luck.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 1 month later...

Just to update. With the heed crashbars (or other upper part ones?) you need to remove oor loosen them in order to remove the front side panels. 

As they mount on the engine mountinbolts you need to remove or loosen them and remove the panel.

And put them back or at least the bolts before you do the same on the other side. 

Did need to look very closely for the heated grips connectors but I'm glad I had the video in earlier post to guide me. Both plugs were taped to a loom. (but 2 different ones) one is grey and buried deep, the other is black and because they are taped with black tape can be harder to spot. 

After that the grip install was easy easy and is working great (for now while still not very cold) 

• 1 month later...