• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Picture of heated grips connector?

Hey guys
For the life of me i CANNOT find the connector for the heated grips on my 2021 Tracer 9 
The install guide from yamaha is so hillariously unhelpful that it is frankly absurd. It does in no way show where the !@#$% connector is supposed to fit :)). It just shows the general routing of the cable untill they just want you to guess.
Having followed plenty of installation guides before from Honda i can safely say this is the worst i've ever seen. In many more ways that just this, however nothing was hard to figure out, except this part!

I'v attached a picture just in case you are wondering what kind of quality guide yamaha has supplied (this is all the explanation you get regarding the connection).

ANY help, even just the general direction will be great, so far i cannot find anything that even comes close.  

image.png

Screenshot_1.jpg

Edited by Sunde
correction

Disregard this
Decided to take the top front panels off, found them!
What a joy this has been, now just to assemble ;))) Anyone ever need help with this just hit me up, i stubbonly refused to take all the side farings off, as the manual did not state a need for this, lesson learned. 

• Thumbsup 2

Your experience reminds me of when I installed heated grips on my 2016 Harley FLHTCU. The instructions that came with the OEM kit were impossible to comprehend. So it isn't just Yamaha. I've got a feeling that a lot of these accessory items are built in China.  Recently I bought a China-made tire changer (Weaver).  The manual that came with the machine is a joke of strange English, much of it might as well have been written in Chinese.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

@Sunde glad you figured it out. I’m a bit late posting this, but Yes Yamaha could be accused of being cryptic in their install instructions, and yet they are VERY specific at the same time. 

those 2 screen shots you posted actually show how they want each heated grip cable run on each side, and where they should be zip tied, to what, and where they should be slipped and attached under existing wire ties (marked STD on the diagram), where they should follow existing wires/cables/bundles, and when they should pass UNDER something (indicates by the dashed lines near the throttle area) and where they are on top of something. 
they also indicate connecting the 2 grip connectors to themselves. 
I didn’t see a screenshot showing the bike’s connector in the wiring harness, but assume you found it under the LH fairing?

anyway, next time you do this job it’ll make more sense. 🤣 and now you know a lot more about your bike!

If you took a pic of the bike’s connector, that might help other people here. 
-Skip

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I have a question about the throttle side grip. I don’t see a wire going directly to the grip, as on the other side. Does this mean it’s heated differently? I need to modify that grip for my personal preference, but I’d rather not ruin the heated grip in the process. Going to try and add another grip over the stock one. Any insights here? The service manual was not helpful. Cheers 

• Supporting Member
On 11/1/2022 at 9:00 AM, Seafz8 said:

I have a question about the throttle side grip. I don’t see a wire going directly to the grip, as on the other side. Does this mean it’s heated differently? I need to modify that grip for my personal preference, but I’d rather not ruin the heated grip in the process. Going to try and add another grip over the stock one. Any insights here? The service manual was not helpful. Cheers 

As mentioned, the heating element is built into the grip. If you want to use a completely different grip, you might try heated gloves instead of grips. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, it’s not the heat. Because of a hand issue, I use specific grips for my right hand. Just didn’t want to destroy the heating element on that side. Since I couldn’t find the connection, I was just asking if anyone had more info before I ruined it. Cheers 

• Supporting Member

@Sundeyou should see some of Triumph's accessory instructions.  Not only was the connector in the wrong place, the wires weren't colour coded anything like the instructions depicted.  Yes it was the correct connection in the end.  In spite of the instructions!!

• Haha 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2022 at 5:15 PM, Sunde said:

Disregard this
Decided to take the top front panels off, found them!
What a joy this has been, now just to assemble ;))) Anyone ever need help with this just hit me up, i stubbonly refused to take all the side farings off, as the manual did not state a need for this, lesson learned. 

@Sunde can you please provide some details on the location?

i have pulled the entire front apart and cant see anything that looks the the turn signal connectors that are suppose to be used for connecting the grip warmers

thanks

On 11/2/2022 at 11:13 AM, Seafz8 said:

I can’t use grip puppies or anything like that. It’s a hand injury thing combined with age. I have a specific grip that works for me. Thanks though. 

Do you have a pic of the specific grip you want to use..... I might have suggestions.....

23 hours ago, shredbot said:

@Sunde can you please provide some details on the location?

i have pulled the entire front apart and cant see anything that looks the the turn signal connectors that are suppose to be used for connecting the grip warmers

thanks

Hey man i sadly did not take pictures of the connector, and to be frank i have forgotten its location more or less.

Towards the front, on the right side if im not mistaken. I found it pretty quickly after i took apart more (i.e all of the front fairing) not the lights etc but just all the exterior plastics. Sorry man im not much help. 
when you find it, make sure to take a picture heh... 

Edited by Sunde
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sunde said:

Hey man i sadly did not take pictures of the connector, and to be frank i have forgotten its location more or less.

Towards the front, on the right side if im not mistaken. I found it pretty quickly after i took apart more (i.e all of the front fairing) not the lights etc but just all the exterior plastics. Sorry man im not much help. 
when you find it, make sure to take a picture heh... 

no worries thanks ... will definitely be taking the photos when/if  found them  🤣 

• Thumbsup 1