Tracer 9 Suspension Calibration test Failed

vic

Hi, I fitted the Yamaha 18mm lowering link & the instructions with it tell you to re calibrate the suspension after fitting but mine comes up failed every time , it’s booked in at the dealers next month for this and the re calls ile let you know how I get on.

9 hours ago, Lyonoso said:

Hi, I fitted the Yamaha 18mm lowering link & the instructions with it tell you to re calibrate the suspension after fitting but mine comes up failed every time , it’s booked in at the dealers next month for this and the re calls ile let you know how I get on.

Well, so much for Yamaha’s suggestion of only using their link🙄!

Gradually getting to the solution!

I had put in a call to Lust Racing who called me back today. They said that they had assumed the electronic suspension sensor was similar to another bike. (Didn’t say which) They have now looked specifically at the 9GT and concluded that the sensor link needs to be shortened beyond what is normally possible and have ordered a custom link from Yamaha in Japan. They said they would contact my dealer to explain the solution to them. I’ll call the dealer again tomorrow and will hopefully finally get this resolved. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

Hi Vic, 

That reply from Lust seems odd because I have fitted a Lust link and have successfully done a calibration test. Sometime tomorrow (it is 9:21pm Sydney time right now), I will go and remove the tie rod link and measure the length and get back to you.

• Thumbsup 1

SORTED

Thank you so much for all the helpful comments. Lust Racing had called the dealer and explained the issue to them. I took the bike in today, and they shortened the sensor tie rod by approx 10mm so the angle was similar to the original suspension links. As Lust indicated, they had to cut a small section off the end of he tie rods as they bottomed out on the swing arm. They ran sensor calibration and result was SUCCESS. Bike feels smoother now so I’m happy. 
Lust will update their installation instructions. 

Vic

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 3

• Supporting Member

Nice!  Now you can enjoy that ride.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2022 at 10:20 AM, vic said:

I wasn’t sure my T9 was riding as smoothly as the demo bike I originally test rode. I performed the “Suspension Calibration Test” and each time it just comes back “Failed”.  My bike was lowered by the dealer with a Lust Racing lowering kit, but the dealer assured me this wouldn’t make any difference and the electronic suspension would automatically adjust. 

Any thoughts/advice.??

You solved your issue congrats, I thought I’d share my experience with a Soupy’s lowering link.

I also got a failed “SUS CAL” result when I tried the calibration after installing the link as delivered at 150 mm eye-to-eye length (stock is 146 mm). Bike was waay too low, great for flat-footing my 30” inseam however the big boom box exhaust underneath would bottom out, even going up my driveway gutter along with my Handy bike lift. And the side & centerstands were almost useless (no surprise, not my first rodeo with lowering bikes).

In the progress of adjusting the Soupy’s link a bit shorter (for higher ride-height) I thought I’d dig into this failed calibration crap. I discovered with the service manual’s help that when I installed the link I FAILED to notice the correct orientation of the angular position sensor arm, I had it 180 degrees out. Corrected that and SUSCAL is a success!

It took a couple of adjustments with the link to get the compromise correct between ride height, stand usage, comfy foot touching, & ground clearance. Ended up with 147 mm, amazing how much ride height changes with just 1 mm of link length. Unfortunately the link needs to come off the bike to adjust & measure it properly. Not easy like the Soupy’s I put on my FJR1300!

5FDA2C8C-ADAB-4B64-BA5A-50004D9295B7.jpeg.ff6a9ee1732c3e4744681a1b41a11ed3.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 6:55 PM, Lyonoso said:

Hi, my dealer adjusted the arm on the suspension sensor and it calibrates ok now as success, he said it would be better if Yamaha added this to the instructions which come with the Yamaha lowering link

• Thumbsup 1

On 5/9/2022 at 11:56 PM, Smokamoto said:

You solved your issue congrats, I thought I’d share my experience with a Soupy’s lowering link.

I also got a failed “SUS CAL” result when I tried the calibration after installing the link as delivered at 150 mm eye-to-eye length (stock is 146 mm). Bike was waay too low, great for flat-footing my 30” inseam however the big boom box exhaust underneath would bottom out, even going up my driveway gutter along with my Handy bike lift. And the side & centerstands were almost useless (no surprise, not my first rodeo with lowering bikes).

In the progress of adjusting the Soupy’s link a bit shorter (for higher ride-height) I thought I’d dig into this failed calibration crap. I discovered with the service manual’s help that when I installed the link I FAILED to notice the correct orientation of the angular position sensor arm, I had it 180 degrees out. Corrected that and SUSCAL is a success!

It took a couple of adjustments with the link to get the compromise correct between ride height, stand usage, comfy foot touching, & ground clearance. Ended up with 147 mm, amazing how much ride height changes with just 1 mm of link length. Unfortunately the link needs to come off the bike to adjust & measure it properly. Not easy like the Soupy’s I put on my FJR1300!

5FDA2C8C-ADAB-4B64-BA5A-50004D9295B7.jpeg.ff6a9ee1732c3e4744681a1b41a11ed3.jpeg

I have yet to tinker with mine from the factory setting but was surprised to hear you had to remove it to adjust. I was really hopeful we can get in the tight space with a set of decent wrenches to change the settings. Strange enough I've not installed the lower kickstand/puck because it still sat fairly well on my factory kickstand + center stand. Thought for sure I'd want to lower the bike more but it has been fairly quick to get used to the taller height.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

Any of you lowering your Tracer dragging or bottoming out hard parts?

Yes, the boom box cat/muff bottomed over harsh speed humps (which was worse stock), up my driveway gutter, and going up the ramp of my Handy Lift. So that’s when I started adjusting it back higher from where Soupy’s had it set.

I haven’t had a chance to test cornering clearance yet, need to go for a spirited ride. I feel the pegs won’t touch down on sane street rides however track days are another story😉!