Tracer 9 Suspension Calibration test Failed

vic

Well I went to the dealer and he wasn't very helpful.

3 of them stood around playing with it and discussing and the the sales manager, not the service manager, came out  to speak with me. Said that the Calibration option on the settings, and I quote "wasn't for me". It's only there for dealers to use if they change the suspension (e.g. new shock) and then need to recalibrate the electronic suspension. He asserted that since there had been no changes to the suspension the "Failed" simply meant there was nothing to calibrate. I'm not buying it and will try and contact Yamaha directly.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Confused 2

Sorry to hear that.  Frustrates me that there are so many folks out there that don't know what they are doing.  They are OK as long as an issue doesn't come up but cannot seem to tackle a new issue and figure it out - like lift the cell phone and ask Siri to call Yamaha.

I'm with you on not believing it.  My bike is a 2020 without the electronic suspension but isn't this a function described in the owners manual?  

• Thumbsup 1

That's big bu****it, suspension calibration is well described in owner's manual so it's not for dealers only , and I don't think failed simply meant nothing to calibrate, that's a stupid answer .Maybe a call to Lust Racing will helps you with this calibration problem . 

Edited by ledruide
  • Thumbsup 3

Hi there,

I too have installed the Lust lowering link for my T9GT. I had the same calibration fail after the install, which I did myself. Rode the bike for a few days. The back did feel quite harsh. I was going to try to "reset" the starting point of the bell crank, but suspected I had the refit the bell crank linkage wrong. I refit the crank arm the other way, and was able to successfully complete the calibration. And yes, the back end did feel more planted afterwards.

• Thumbsup 1

Here is the position of the bell crank on my T9GT. The other thing I can think of is that the dealer may have lengthened or shortened the tie-rod. My initial plan was to loosen the lock nuts on the tie rod, then lengthen or shorten the tie rod until I have a successful calibration. If you need the OEM length of the tie rod, I can check for you.

PXL_20220414_131252265~5.jpg

To be blunt, this is something that Lust needs to cover in their installation instructions. Omitting this step is a big F-up in my eyes. 
if you’re going to sell a product, support it!

the service manual covers resetting the linkage to the correct length, BTW. I think it’s under the Suspension section. Do that, then perform the set up as @Kchan covered above. 
-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 1

56 minutes ago, skipperT said:

To be blunt, this is something that Lust needs to cover in their installation instructions. Omitting this step is a big F-up in my eyes. 
if you’re going to sell a product, support it!

the service manual covers resetting the linkage to the correct length, BTW. I think it’s under the Suspension section. Do that, then perform the set up as @Kchan covered above. 
-Skip

you're right about Lust instructions,  there's no mention about the suspension calibration and it should be .

On 4/14/2022 at 2:23 PM, Kchan said:My initial plan was to loosen the lock nuts on the tie rod, then lengthen or shorten the tie rod until I have a successful calibration. If you need the OEM length of the tie rod, I can check for you.

I thought I’d try to loosen the lock nuts and adjust the length myself but both locknuts seems locked solid, and I don’t want to use too much force while the bike is still under warranty. 

• Thumbsup 1

7 hours ago, vic said:
On 4/14/2022 at 9:23 AM, Kchan said:

I thought I’d try to loosen the lock nuts and adjust the length myself but both locknuts seems locked solid, and I don’t want to use too much force while the bike is still under warranty. 

Vic, the lower locknut, swingarm side, has left-hand threads and the rod length, center to center, is 114 to 116 mm.

hope this helps 

• Thumbsup 1

12 hours ago, vic said:
On 4/14/2022 at 9:23 AM, Kchan said:

I think the warranty mainly applies if using factory parts but I completely get where you're at-- was in a similar situation myself. I ended up bringing out the breaker bar and some extensions to get the factory link off. Took some effort and ooga-dooga's but with the right angle it can be done. I installed Soupy's lower link on my '21 T9GT and ironically, haven't adjusted it away from the factory height. Suspension calibration passes on my bike and based off the service manual symptoms of a failed suspension calibration, I can't imagine not having this functional. Damping preset goes to maximum if any abnormalities are detected.

Attaching two pages from the service book-- has any other work been done to the bike other than lowering link?

5kQ3fRu.jpg

nSlmJjL.jpg

Yamaha got back to me today. 
They spoke with the dealer who told them the Lust Lowering kit lowers the bike 30mm. Yamaha thought this was on the limit for the suspension sensor. The dealer has asked me to bring it back in so they can check it again, but they’re suggesting the only option may be to replace the Lust kit with the Yamaha kit that only lowers the bike 18mm. They insisted that adjusting the length of the link won’t help. 
I spoke with Lust who said they’ve sold many kits for this bike, and no one has reported any issues and that it shouldn’t be necessary to adjust the link. 
I’m taking it in again on Friday.  All very frustrating.