Corbin seat for 2021-22 Tracer 9 GT

Korak

Corbin has come out with a seat for the Tracer 9 GT.  It is one piece,  I spoke to them and the seat comes either standard, which would fit into the high position, or low.  Corbin stated that the seat is more neutral in slope and should alleviate the horrible slide forward.  I am ordering one and it should take about 4-5 weeks lead time.  I will post pictures and a review once I receive it.

• Thumbsup 7

Did either of you happen to order the 'low' seat? The pictures on their site make it seem quite a bit taller and less of a slope where the legs fall off: https://www.corbin.com/yamaha/ytrc21gle.shtml

I've always considered a corbin seat for my bikes but never got around to purchasing due to the expense. Would love to hear someone chime in about comfort in comparison to a factory 'comfort' seat... as well as how the heated options compare. Think my wife would be shutting off or turning on the heat to my seat by accident?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, Kees from the Netherlands here. What made you guys decide to invest in a Corbin seat? I mean, it's a lot of money (here in NL, I pay 900 euro's to get one). Did you experiment with different options? For example, I have a JK3D spacer set to reduce the forward slope, but I didn't drive long trips yet... the season is about to start for me..

I’ve had several Corbin saddles on various bikes over the past 25 years. I’ve loved almost every one. The Corbin I had on my 2014 FJR completely renewed the bike.

As far as this Tracer, I expected to need a Corbin ASAP, but as miles have piled up, I find the stock saddle to be not bad at all. I’m actually holding back on the Corbin for now, wait and see.

I wish Corbin would build the saddle in two pieces, as with the FJR. I don’t ride with a pillion anymore, and want a nice flat saddle surface back there, which the stock pillion provides perfectly but the Corbin does not.

What do I like about Corbin? A Corbin saddle is heavy. The seat pan alone is notably heavy. Corbin says a rigid seat pan is essential. I agree. These saddles are rather hard at first. They use a very dense foam. It takes quite awhile to break it in to the individual butt.

Also I have found that Corbin gives consistently good service after sale. I’ve had a minor defect in stitching appear on a 3 year old saddle. I mailed it to the factory and they fixed it free.

I probably will buy a Corbin for the Tracer, especially if they come out with separate pieces option, rider and pillion. But for now I’m ok with the stocker. 

• Thumbsup 1

37 minutes ago, KrustyKush said:

As far as this Tracer, I expected to need a Corbin ASAP, but as miles have piled up, I find the stock saddle to be not bad at all. I’m actually holding back on the Corbin for now, wait and see.

I was curious when I first got the bike having heard about the previous versions and the saddle issues. I didn't know if I would have to look into the aftermarket for a new seat or not. I too have been pleasantly surprised with the seat as far as stock seats go. I do need to give it a good look over though after this past weekend though. The seat seemed to have more play than it should have in a few corners. 

I've never had a Corbin but have really only ever heard good things which is good considering the price. Always sounds like money well spent. 

I did have a Corbin seat on my 2014 MT-09 (FZ-09). I also agree with the rigid basepan, it will provide a better support than the stocker. While the seat was upholstered with shiny black leather (which I found very ugly, seat was second-hand), I let the seat reupholster in Holland. I drilled out the rivets all by myself, a hell of a job...

The biggest disadvantage of a Corbin seat for me is the price. Not because of I can't affort one (that's not the problem), but more because of the bad selling price when selling the seat. People just don't wanna spend more than 300 euro for a seat. For that price, they go to Bagster or Topsellerie which is a real different quality. 

I also contacted Sargent if they're designing a seat for the Tracer 9, but I didn't get a sufficient answer. I look at the website each 2 months, but there is no R&D for the Tracer 9 on the roll... pity.

The other real option for me is to reupholster the seat. I did also get 2 seats reuphostered in my life: the stocker MT-09 and the previous Tracer 900 (2019). My concern of going that way is that the slope of the stock basepan (which is nicely wide) is very big... anyone who has his Tracer 9 stocker reupholstered?

Edited by KeesH

I’ve had 3 Corbins. All of them were comfortable and extended my saddle time. 
I did install the 3D printer spacer kit first and have it on now with the stock seat. That did help significantly with the saddle forward tilt issue with the seat. My plan when I receive the Corbin, is to install it with the kit in place just to see what it’s like. If that doesn’t work well I’ll put the stock rubber pieces back and remove the kit. 

Well, I got it but I can’t lock it in place. It looks really nice on the bike, but even with me sitting on the seat it will not snap into place to where I need the key to remove it. I can basically just lift it right off. For now I put the stock seat back on. 

• Confused 1

I just got notice that mine will be here Wednesday.  Curious if you tried the upper and lower front slots?  Does the front lip fit in the slot?  Does the rear portion go into the slot where the original rear pillion goes?

i also have the seat slope mod installed.

Edited by Korak

The rear just sits on its own rubber pads. I tried the front in both the upper and lower slot. I tried the H shaped plastic thing in both positions, and even tried removing it altogether. No go any way. I will have some time I think Sunday to play with it some more. Post how you make out Wednesday. 

Forgot to mention that I did try calling, but Corbin was closed as it was 4:30ish. I left a message and also sent them a message online. I’m going to Disneyland Monday with my sister and others, so might not get a chance till Tuesday to get phone help from them.

4 hours ago, tclhb said:

The rear just sits on its own rubber pads. I tried the front in both the upper and lower slot. I tried the H shaped plastic thing in both positions, and even tried removing it altogether. No go any way. I will have some time I think Sunday to play with it some more. Post how you make out Wednesday. 

Don't you have to remove the H-shaped plastic thing while using the Corbin?