Replacement Battery for FJ Recommendation

I need some advice...

My 6 year old OEM Yuasa YTZ-10S batt is no longer holding an adequate charge to start the C3.  Lights and horn work but relay chatters when starter is pressed.

So, I guess I need a new batt. BUT a replacement Yuasa is $190!!

Have any of you kids used a different brand batt that you would recommend?

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

I recently bought the $190 Yuasa.  When you break the price down, its only $0.08 a day over 6 years, much easier to justify!  😎

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

26 minutes ago, nhchris said:

I need some advice...

My 6 year old OEM Yuasa YTZ-10S batt is no longer holding an adequate charge to start the C3.  Lights and horn work but relay chatters when starter is pressed.

So, I guess I need a new batt. BUT a replacement Yuasa is $190!!

Have any of you kids used a different brand batt that you would recommend?

$30 motorcycle battery from walmart will work just fine for a few years.  On the other end of the spectrum is a $260 Earth-x lithium (quality) battery that will last as long as the bike.  I've owned both, the lithium is in my airplane since 2018.  

Yuasa is way overpriced for what you get. 

3 hours ago, betoney said:

I recently bought the $190 Yuasa.  When you break the price down, its only $0.08 a day over 6 years, much easier to justify!  😎

You think like my wife @betoney

• Haha 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Just to add, you get what you pay for with battery quality. And as KellyL mentioned, if you don’t keep them on a battery tender when not in use and they get deeply discharged, it doesn’t matter what brand it is - it will get damaged and fail. 

btw I’m on my original Yuasa on my F.R. 2015 FJ 09. 

battery prices have also jumped a LOT due to inflation, COVID, and inventory. What you paid last year isn’t close to what you’ll pay now / depending on when -whoever you decide to buy from,- adjusted their prices last. Just a heads up. 

remember that motorcycle charging systems KEEP a charged battery charged, they CANNOT bring back a discharged battery. Only a battery tender/charger can do that.

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Similar experience with Motobatt and Yuasa as related above, and also still on my 15s oem battery.   Leaning towards a lithium iron unit for my now infrequently ridden VTR whose Motobatt is not holding more than 12.8 and dropping. 

Evaluating a Noco, Antigravity, Battery Tender and a couple others.

Picked up a Noco Genius2 2-amp charger / maintainer with standard FLA, AGM and lithium temperature compensating settings, it also has a desulfation function which my ancient but fabulous Deltran Battery Tender 2 doesn't.  Supposedly the latter can be used safely to charge lithium because it doesn't have desulfation but I needed two maintainers to cover 4 bikes. BTW, Noco offers a SAE plug adapter for their proprietary plugs.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, OldBikers said:

Batteries + AGM battery, under $100 and lasts.  I put one in my FZ-01 and had no issues.

Which make and model of battery and how long was it in your FZ before yo traded it in?

General vague statements are useless.

11 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Which make and model of battery and how long was it in your FZ before yo traded it in?

General vague statements are useless.

They only stock two types both AGM with one around$90 and the other a hair over $100.

It was in the FZ for 3 years.

The OEM battery in the FZ lasted for six years.  I bought the less expensive AGM and it worked great for the time I had the FZ.

I never had it on a battery tender because I don't have an outlet to plug it in where I park.  It started the FZ every time.

I hope this isn't too vague.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, OldBikers said:

They only stock two types both AGM with one around$90 and the other a hair over $100.

It was in the FZ for 3 years.

Who's they and what Manufacturer and model number of battery??

5 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Who's they and what Manufacturer and model number of battery??

I guess you didn't read that I bought it at Batteries +.  It's a house brand.

https://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYTZ10S.html

Have used and will continue to use these.  Price still good.

Never a problem and about 6 years out of them. Like all batteries, keep them fully charged, on a tender periodically.

https://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYTZ14S.html

I haven't done it personally (yet)  but will fit this one when the time comes with the foam removed. Others have reported it fits.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, peteinpa said:

https://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYTZ10S.html

Have used and will continue to use these.  Price still good.

Never a problem and about 6 years out of them. Like all batteries, keep them fully charged, on a tender periodically.

https://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYTZ14S.html

I haven't done it personally (yet)  but will fit this one when the time comes with the foam removed. Others have reported it fits.

Please post up if and when you do try the 14.

Where did you read it comes with a spacer and it fits with it removed?