Weird Laws???

Where I ride (VA, MD, DC) it is illegal to have an Ipod or headphones in your helmet - but not earplugs??? ???  Radar detectors are also illegal in VA.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Yep, it is if they are IPod ear buds...and not part of a communication system.

§ 46.2-1078. Unlawful to operate motor vehicle, bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped while using earphones.

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle, bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped on the highways in the Commonwealth while using earphones on or in both ears.

For the purpose of this section, "earphones" shall mean any device worn on or in both ears that converts electrical energy to sound waves or which impairs or hinders the person's ability to hear, but shall not include
(i) any prosthetic device that aids the hard of hearing,
(ii) earphones installed in helmets worn by motorcycle operators and riders and used as part of a communications system,
or (iii) nonprosthetic, closed-ear, open-back, electronic noise-cancellation devices designed and used to enhance the hearing ability of persons who operate vehicles in high-noise environments, provided any such device is being worn by the operator of a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or more.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the driver of any emergency vehicle as defined in § 46.2-920.

One ear has to be open to hear the siren... P-) No ticket, just a verbal when pulled up next to me.

Maybe the trooper just wanted to check out my FJ09!
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Crazy but not surprising. I don't want cagers driving around with earphones in. They are distracted enough already. If you are going to write the law for cagers I don't see how you can leave out bikers. It is nice they put in the exclusion for comm systems though. My sena has a plug on it so you can use whatever earphones you want. This to me would be earphones installed in the helmet. You could technically run the wire behind the helmet padding to "install" them in the helmet if you really wanted to get technical.

I would suggest Speakers in helmet speaker pockets. It is not stating those are illegal as speakers are not worn on or in your ear, they are not covering nor even touching your ear. Quoting Pennsylvania law which is where I live it states the following:
3314. Prohibiting use of hearing impairment devices.
(a) General rule.--No driver shall operate a vehicle while wearing or using
one or more headphones or earphones.
(b) Exception.--This section does not prohibit the use of hearing aids or
other devices for improving the hearing of the driver, nor does it prohibit
the use of a headset in conjunction with a cellular telephone that only
provides sound through one ear and allows surrounding sounds to be heard with
the other ear, nor does it prohibit the use of communication equipment by the
driver of an emergency vehicle or by motorcycle operators complying with
section 3525 (relating to protective equipment for motorcycle riders).
(Mar. 29, 1984, P.L.159, No.31, eff. imd.; May 20, 1993, P.L.30, No.10, eff.
60 days; July 6, 1995, P.L.315, No.48, eff. 60 days)

To clarify here section 3525 just talks about protective gear (helmet) and does not specify anything about communication equipment / headphones. There is no specific law dictating
I use a pair of shark helmet speakers, however these here look even better and currently cheaper including shipping (to me it looks like they are phasing out the ones i have).

Weird laws? In my state they let you split lanes.
I wouldn't do it here even if they passed the law allowing us to.  Drivers here are assholes. 
It's true.  And not to mention the fact that the FJ has a pretty...*ahem*..wide profile

WOW! Splitting lanes in VA is reckless driving -  a misdemeanor - up to one year in jail, ten points and points stay on your record for 11 years, etc.  

100% legal in the UK...  Unfortunately we have the same drivers here as well.  :) 
Thankfully it's only about 1% of drivers that cause problems for us.  Most are pretty cool and many make a genuine effort to get out of your way.

• Premium Member
100% legal in the UK...  Unfortunately we have the same drivers here as well.  :) 
Thankfully it's only about 1% of drivers that cause problems for us.  Most are pretty cool and many make a genuine effort to get out of your way.
I'm in the UK and came across a grumpy wanker today. I breezed past a line of very slow moving traffic on a familiar road. The cars were backed up over half a mile before a major junction controlled by lights. If they are lucky, cars pull forward 15 yards with each phase of the lights. Every now and then there is a keep left island for pedestrians to use as a safe crossing point and I very rarely go the wrong side of these as that is a potential driving without due care charge which really loads your insurance. 
So, I went past Mr GW then stopped and allowed a gap to form to allow some workers to leave their office car park, turning to go in the opposite direction of the traffic jam. Mr GW pulled alongside me and started shouting. Apparently, I had blocked him moving forward 10yds nearer the red light, still some 500 yds away, so that he could block the workers from leaving their car park. Whilst he was yelling the office workers left. So, I let him pull ahead of me and negotiated the pedestrian island. Once the centre of the road was clear of the islands I breezed past him, giving a cheery wave and got to the red light just as it changed to green. I hope the grumpy wanker is still on the road, moving forward in 15 yd hops getting angrier and angrier about those trouble makers on their bikes.  

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Lots of weird laws here in BC Canada as well. Splitting lanes definitely illegal here. Same for ear buds but comms are legal, provided they do not block off surrounding sounds. I ride with ear plugs, I'm not sure if they are legal.

Archived