Tracer 9 GT review

kingfisher

Apologies for "whinging" up your thread; appreciate a review of the bike from someone who has owned previous iterations. I was disheartened to see this particular "all sports", albeit, authorized Yama dealer, put a new bike in that condition on the floor.

I previously purchased both my GT and TW from them, as they are certainly a cut above the other "big box motosport" dealer in my area. Perhaps the rarity of the particulr species induced a state of disregard for what are easily remedied minor cosmetic issues. The $$$ are just reality in our inflationary times,eh.

• Thumbsup 1

Came back to this posting after reading about the 2023 may not be imported.  Contemplating what will that mean.  Yea the GT+ has some interesting features Emergency Braking, ACC and new display but otherwise doesn't seem to be that different.  Now may not be a bad time to buy.

@LarzI'd hate to see what the other dealer is like but can imagine as seems like there  are some bad ones out there.  Anyone old enough to remember the Dodge dealers of old - "what price could I sell this POS to you for today" 🙂   Do wonder if they were working on remedying the issues but parts hadn't dome in yet.  I'd rather see a bike with a problem that is easily fixed than no bike at all.  

• Thumbsup 2

10 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Came back to this posting after reading about the 2023 may not be imported.  Contemplating what will that mean.  Yea the GT+ has some interesting features Emergency Braking, ACC and new display but otherwise doesn't seem to be that different.  Now may not be a bad time to buy.

@LarzI'd hate to see what the other dealer is like but can imagine as seems like there  are some bad ones out there.  Anyone old enough to remember the Dodge dealers of old - "what price could I sell this POS to you for today" 🙂   Do wonder if they were working on remedying the issues but parts hadn't dome in yet.  I'd rather see a bike with a problem that is easily fixed than no bike at all.  

I think the display and the much improved QS Gen 2 are the items that would interest me most. Radar cruise? Eff that!

PhotoAl 

4 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Indeed, old enuff to remember all the scams🙃

I'm sure they are waiting on a few minor parts to fix that 9GT up. Sat on it and it felt just like my GT 900. But the color doesn't do it for me, and although it felt just like my GT 900, something about the bike suggested a more civil attitude😇.

And yeah, the other dealers in my area are scum sucking, corporate type azzholes🤔

They did have a bike on the floor that gave me a bit of a "chubby": a 2022 MT-09 SP ( it called to me ,man. LOL how many times I've heard that line from peeps .... but it did, like a sexy woman you  see while out with your current squeeze, a big that's what I want....)

4 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Edited by Larz

Rode my 2020 900 GT today and went by a dealer who had a 2022 9 GT.  They wanted list plus about $1,500 in shipping and prep and some other stuff so wound up OTD at just under $17,000.  Seems a bit high and since I know a dealer 100 miles away who has already told me hell make me a good deal I'm not that interested plus not so fond of the color.  

On the ride over was noticing how smoothly my QS works when accelerating briskly - reminded me again of my old FZ6 which would be a pain to shift when just puttering around but when accelerating hard and at higher revs it was butter smooth.  I'll take that tradeoff any day as when I'm accelerating briskly or full out is when I want the shifting to be flawless.

So still tempted by the T 9 GT and if I was to buy a bike today that would be the one.  But for now with 26,000 my trade in value is probably not so great, my bike is set up the way I like it and we are happy together.  

• Thumbsup 4

On 11/28/2022 at 11:42 PM, Larz said:

No I don't think so, same QS on all models: MT-09; XRS 900 and 9GT.....

The '23 T9GT+ has an improved QS (Gen 3) where now you can down shift at any throttle setting and do not need to close the throttle before a downshift as on the current Gen2 QS. That is a significant improvement of the utility of the QS!

• Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, FarmForce said:

The '23 T9GT+ has an improved QS (Gen 3) where now you can down shift at any throttle setting and do not need to close the throttle before a downshift as on the current Gen2 QS. That is a significant improvement of the utility of the QS!

The main advantage of the Gen 3 QS is that it works together with the ACC so when the ACC slows the bike down you can down shift without canceling the ACC and the same goes for accelerating.  Without the ACC on it works the same as a Gen 2 but without the need to down throttle.  This is the info I was able to glean off the write ups and reviews.

• Thumbsup 4

3 hours ago, FarmForce said:

you have to close the throttle to downshift with the QS? Really...was sure I read that new QS could downshift at any RPM under 9k....

• Thumbsup 1

Yes, on the '22 model you can only use the quick shifter to downshift when the throttle is closed. If the QS is turned on, you see two small adjacent arrows on the display, one pointing up, and one down. If the up arrow is green, as it would be in gears 1-5 under throttle,  you can upshift; if the throttle is closed, the down arrow is green and downshifting is possible. 

• Thumbsup 2

Yaas, I'm as excited as a "virgin on prom night". About 80 lbs lighter than a 9GT with panniers mounted; 60 something lbs lighter than my GT900 with ultralight titanium exhaust: fun factor should be huge 😁

Edited by Larz
  • Thumbsup 3