New to me MT-09 Tracer - UK

NigelBarlow

Hi

Just acquired a 2016 Tracer, after 17 years - and 80,000 miles - on a VFR750.  South-West of England.

Enjoying it so far (600 miles) - it is quite different.  Doesn't seem as fast, until you look at the speedo.  Front end seems a bit light in bends but that's probably just a case of getting used to the engine.

Looking forward to another 17 years - but wondering if an upgrade to cruise control will tempt me before then.

IMG_6576.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

Welcome to the Forum Nigel, Good choice of replacement but then most of us on here think the Tracer is a good choice. Cruise Control is the only thing I probably hanker after on mine and I did consider the aftermarket McCruse system from Australia for a time but for the limited time I would use it I just opted for a throttle lock.

• Thumbsup 2

26 minutes ago, HGP61 said:

Welcome to the Forum Nigel, Good choice of replacement but then most of us on here think the Tracer is a good choice. Cruise Control is the only thing I probably hanker after on mine and I did consider the aftermarket McCruse system from Australia for a time but for the limited time I would use it I just opted for a throttle lock.

Thanks.  I think I'll be trying a throttle lock next.

• Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum. Plus one on the McCruise, it integarates well and support from the company is excellent. A little pricey but if you spread the payments over 17 years... 😁

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Welcome to the fold and congrats on acquiring the fast red FJ.

The MC Cruise is the bee's knees! Though some consider it a difficult install, the kit is very well documented and works great once completed. Highly recommend!!  I lucked out and bought mine from another user that may have been intimidated by the install, for a reduced price.

Check this site for other's experiences with the install, and if you decide to get one, read through the instructions several times and set aside 2-3 evenings to complete it. There are also several youtube videos regarding the install and calibration steps.

• Thumbsup 1

The McCruise is the bee's knees.  Just did the same this year on my V1K, got a (rare) used one for a very good price.  It had all the original kit.... instructions were 57 pages, lol.  Lotsa reading but a very methodical install, just follow what they say.

• Premium Member

Yes the front end is light. I think that's the consequence of the upright seating position (and engine location and generally more uprightness) compared to a "traditional" sport touring bike like a VFR. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Congrats on the Tracer!  Good to have another one on board!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, NigelBarlow said:

Front end seems a bit light in bends but that's probably just a case of getting used to the engine.

Getting the suspension sorted - at a minimum, proper springs for your weight, works wonders in getting the FJ/Tracer planted and stable in the curves, even when heavy on the throttle.

A shock with ride height adjustment and/or raising the forks in the triple clamps adds a bit of front end weight bias.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

^ as Betony said. 
They don’t have enough weight on the front wheel, they also suffer from front end being undersprung and underdamped. 
Rear spring is not too bad if you’re a light weight, but also severely underdamped. 
There’s no body light enough for the stock front springs. 
The least you can do is new front springs, slightly heavier oil and a bit more oil height as stock setting  has too much air gap. 
Best option is to throw out all the original suspension, and if you’re tall enough also raise the rear end by 15mm. 
Im short so couldn’t raise the rear, but dropped the front 15mm and that made a big difference. 
My own experience is that they’re also sensitive to tyre choice. 

But once set up correctly are a very fun bike on the tight stuff, even fully loaded. 

• Thumbsup 2