Temperature concerns

All good. I think the thermostat location makes it very sensitive to temp changes.  My FJ heats up quickly at a stop light to over 200 and once the fans come on drops quickly also.

And 100 f over ambient seems about normal when running 45mph or more.

The FJ has a BIG radiator for its displacement and all three cylinders out in the wind.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 12/22/2022 at 2:30 PM, nhchris said:

All good. I think the thermostat location makes it very sensitive to temp changes.  My FJ heats up quickly at a stop light to over 200 and once the fans come on drops quickly also.

And 100 f over ambient seems about normal when running 45mph or more.

The FJ has a BIG radiator for its displacement and all three cylinders out in the wind.

I had similar issues with my 2015 FJ09, and because of a few other issues, I took it to 2Wheel Dynoworks in Seattle for a Flash. They had a list of things they have done with other FJ09 motorcycles, and they asked me a few questions to get an idea about what I wanted done. They knew all the issues that other riders had complained about, so they aren't starting from scratch and the new settings made the FJ09 much more comfortable to ride. The new settings were appropriate to me. (they also do mail in service if you aren't in the Seattle area) and I'm pretty sure there are other shops in other states/cities that can help if you just want a flash. 

The flash makes a huge difference in how the bike rides, well worth looking into.....

• Thumbsup 1