Service Ohlins rear shock YA335

ilanr1

Hi , according to Ohlins you need to service your rear shock every 30,000km.

I have Ohlins YA335 the most simple one for my tracer 900.

Anyone here have done this kind of service and can share more details about that ?.

Can i do it alone ? , i only want to change the oil inside , it is not leaking...and it's in a good condition.

What kind of oil should i use ?.

Thanks

I'd vote if it's not leaking, I'd at least double that recommendation.  No you can't do this yourself, perhaps find a local suspension shop that rebuilds shocks.

The oil doesn't go bad, but the seal can leak.  There's also a bladder and a nitrogen gas charge requiring special equipment.

• Supporting Member

I get my suspension serviced about every other year, about 28-30k miles. Unless you have the specialty tools and most importantly, the knowledge, you probably don’t want to tackle the shock yourself.  The service consist of complete disassembly and cleaning and then replacing any seals or wear parts and replacing the oil and nitrogen to the proper volume and pressure. 
A lot of aftermarket shocks have a separate nitrogen reservoir to avoid contamination with the oil, yours is an emulsion shock meaning the oil and nitrogen are in the same chamber.  

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The other plus to sending in to a an authorized service center, or the NC headquarters, is if there is a valving update they will do it during the service, usually at no charge. I bought a used Ohlins shock for a CBR1000RR I once had, sent it in to be rebuilt and resprung for my weight and they updated the valving to current specs at no charge. They did the same thing to the shock I had on my CBR650F. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 1/12/2023 at 6:14 AM, RaYzerman said:

I'd vote if it's not leaking, I'd at least double that recommendation.  No you can't do this yourself, perhaps find a local suspension shop that rebuilds shocks.

The oil doesn't go bad, but the seal can leak.  There's also a bladder and a nitrogen gas charge requiring special equipment.

Wrong……oil loses viscosity over time due to heat from use. The loss of viscosity cause a loss of dampening. 

You can take it apart, clean, replace what you want and take it somewhere to get it charged wih nitrogen.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

What @duckie said.... plus, crud inside the oil contributes to faster wear of components. I would first see if there is a shop prepared to only charge the shock for you before you dive into disassembly. Shops around here charge ~CAD $200 for basic service (oil/seals/charge).

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif