DRL/Blinkers combo

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

I have those exact indicator lights on one of my bikes. Buddy riding behind me said he couldn't see the turn signals very well. 

If you are standing there looking at them after installation, sure, you can see them function and they look OK - but they are rather muted and dim. Even the OEM signals with incandescent bulbs on most bikes are easier to see in traffic than these, and I took them off. Replaced the rears with some from 12'Oclock labs, which were only a bit better, not great.

As RaYzerman suggested https://www.superbrightleds.com/ may be the way to go if you have the older OEM signals and can replace the bulbs. I am considering that - they have so many choices I would have to call them.

Hmmm OK. I'm yet to get some feed back of my own situation but I know that these new lights are definitely more visible than the STEDI sweeping ones that I had on and yes, that is while being viewed from a distance of around 20-30M on my property.  Does that make them acceptable though?... the jury is still out and if they still aren't up to scratch then I'll be shopping again.

Because I want a DRL/blinker function, I might have to look at a switchback LED type of setup but that will mean a whole new assembly as our pumpkins here in Oz only have the two wires and utilise a different bulb base than the O/S models.  Ours is an offset bayonet type - BAU-15S I think. image.png.f873a067a8f4ba2b7e0e285f65958d86.png

Maybe @betoney x-arcs are the way to go after all.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Ours is an offset bayonet type - BAU-15S I think.

Would something like this work? Check clearance to lens... some of these can be long. While the OE indicators ain't pretty... the large reflector makes them very visible. 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

27 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

... and yes, that is while being viewed from a distance of around 20-30M on my property.  Does that make them acceptable though?... the jury is still out and if they still aren't up to scratch then I'll be shopping again.

The ones I got from Amazon (identical to yours) it was the rear's that appeared muted in bright daylight situations. The fronts were better, but still not great. I want something PIERCING that is going to Bitch-slap oncoming traffic.

• Like 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

For those with two-wire BAU15S (the pins have a 15 degree offset, so unique...... the bulb number is 7507.  First, replace the bulbs with the Superbrite 7507.  I recommend amber because that is the most visible and shows up better than white (if you have clear lenses).  If amber lens, be sure to use amber LED.  I haven't found anything brighter than Superbright's..... check the spec for lumens on anything to compare.  If you really want to get into it, find the size/output of the SMD's and count how many.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=bau15s

To have single contact bulb operate as running lights and signals, use the module supplied by 12O'Clock Labs (there are others out there)......

http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=38&product_id=70

Edit/add - I have some Superbrite 7507's here I can measure up and post later.....  Don't appear to be as long as the ones in piotrek's link...

Edited by RaYzerman
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, dazzler24 said:

Hmmm OK. I'm yet to get some feed back of my own situation but I know that these new lights are definitely more visible than the STEDI sweeping ones that I had on and yes, that is while being viewed from a distance of around 20-30M on my property.  Does that make them acceptable though?... the jury is still out and if they still aren't up to scratch then I'll be shopping again.

Because I want a DRL/blinker function, I might have to look at a switchback LED type of setup but that will mean a whole new assembly as our pumpkins here in Oz only have the two wires and utilise a different bulb base than the O/S models.  Ours is an offset bayonet type - BAU-15S I think. image.png.f873a067a8f4ba2b7e0e285f65958d86.png

Maybe @betoney x-arcs are the way to go after all.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

I don't know if you remember this, it's been years, but you do know I'm a no nonsense type of guy when it comes to form over function.  Not sure about what your mean by DL/Blinker function but it appears you have that (need to know the parts and pics of your hiway pegs).  I have the Custom LED Blaster-X Tail light, an LED auxiliary brake light strip on the rear & side edges of my Shad top case rack (takes my SH46 & now SH29 TC), a BrakeFree helmet light, Kisan HLM, and amber LED side marker light strips.  I wanted super-duper bright blinker/running lights front and rear.  Being frugally efficient, I rewired the rear for TS/RL I bought used for a pittance US stock fronts, stuffed super-duper bright plug-in LED "bulbs and run a PnP (well I did have to switch the 2 wires in the polarized plug) low draw "solid-state" adjustable rate blinker relay.

Now coming and going but especially in the rear you need darker shades even during the day following me.

Despite the Pumpkins are pretty aero really.

20170626 FJ09 F & R TS-RL LED BULB RPLMT.jpg

20170626_191741.jpg

20170626_195538.jpg

20170626_195620.jpg

20170616_192201.jpg

20170616_192308.jpg

20160824_174908.jpg

20160824_185446.jpg

20160824_185652.jpg

20160825_091642.jpg

20160825_151020.jpg

20200529_152052.jpg

20200529_152437.jpg

20200528_192707.jpg

2020 FJ09 RR LTG 1.jpg

20201230 Blaster-X.jpg

20201230_173818.jpg

20201231_104509.jpg

20160901_144728.jpg

20160901_144734.jpg

20160901_165903.jpg

20160715_182258.jpg

20210719_144155.jpg

20210612_180354.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

The ones I got from Amazon (identical to yours) it was the rear's that appeared muted in bright daylight situations. The fronts were better, but still not great. I want something PIERCING that is going to Bitch-slap oncoming traffic.

Just got back from a test ride but on my own so no feedback on visibility other than to say that no-one ran me over in confusion about my turning status 😁

I hear you though re the bitch-slapping analogy and tend to agree. 👍

• Supporting Member
On 1/23/2023 at 10:57 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

I don't know if you remember this, it's been years, but you do know I'm a no nonsense type of guy when it comes to form over function.  Not sure about what your mean by DL/Blinker function but it appears you have that (need to know the parts and pics of your hiway pegs).  I have the Custom LED Blaster-X Tail light, an LED auxiliary brake light strip on the rear & side edges of my Shad top case rack (takes my SH46 & now SH29 TC), a BrakeFree helmet light, Kisan HLM, and amber LED side marker light strips.  I wanted super-duper bright blinker/running lights front and rear.  Being frugally efficient, I rewired the rear for TS/RL I bought used for a pittance US stock fronts, stuffed super-duper bright plug-in LED "bulbs and run a PnP (well I did have to switch the 2 wires in the polarized plug) low draw "solid-state" adjustable rate blinker relay.

Now coming and going but especially in the rear you need darker shades even during the day following me.

Despite the Pumpkins are pretty aero really.

G'day 2&3.  Comprehensive post!  I think Cruisin just ran out of server space with all those posted photos! 😉

Ok, and yes to be clear I do NOW have a pair if DRLs at the front which technically mean I already have DRLs but, and dare I say as evidenced by all of your adornments, you can never have enough light on the bike to reduce  increase your visibility on the road.

I too have the Custom LED Blaster-X tail light and love it.  Have also had a LED blinker module for some time now - no resistors required as you know.

I did see your earlier post where you've described adding the front indicator modules replacing the rear and it's something I may have considered but it's a US lamp base and I might have troubles sourcing two sets here (cheaply) in the land down under - hence the path I'm on.

I might, in the end, have to go back to the pumpkins and use the, suggested by @RaYzerman , LED superbrights 7507s for our 2 pin/wire indicator bases BAU15S and just revert back to stand alone indicators.

Time for some pondering methinks...

• Premium Member

you can never have enough light on the bike to INCREASE your visibility on the road.

MORE IS MORE AND ALMOST NEVER ENOUGH!

Being rear-ended is a BIG concern of mine, as I've had a few near misses and still pump my brakes waiting when stopped at approaching Cagers!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

you can never have enough light on the bike to INCREASE your visibility on the road.

MORE IS MORE AND ALMOST NEVER ENOUGH!

Being rear-ended is a BIG concern of mine, as I've had a few near misses and still pump my brakes waiting when stopped at approaching Cagers!

In total agreement about the visibility philosophy.

It's funny that I too have one of my beady eyes in a rear vision mirror when stopped at lights/road works etc and find myself getting that blaster-x stop light flashing away when I see approaching vehicles.  I do like that it is programmable to give several combinations of stop light patterns.  Mine is currently set to 10 rapid flashes then solid.  If I feel the need to get even more attention when stopped I just keep bouncing the switch to have a constantly flashing stop light.

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I was quoting you

You said "reduce"

Ahh.  I see your 'concern' from that sentence where I said reduce but meant quite the opposite!  I had a sentence formulated that I edited but left in the wrong 'key' word.

Just goes to prove that one shouldn't drink and type... hic! 🍺.

Corrected now in edit.

Anyway, I think we are all in agreement that being seen is very important and how you do it or in what shape it takes on your own bike can be in many forms.

As always, thanks for your suggestions. (and highlighting my grammatical error! 😉👍