• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

17 Tooth Front Sproket

Question of the day, I live in souther arizona, have a 2019 Tracr 900 GT and wanted to know if a 17 tooth front sproket would be adventagous since I do a lot of highway riding. Looking for any feedback frome swomeone who has changed their gearing. Also, does the front sprocket need to have a damper? Any feed back is apreciated. 

I've switched from 16 to 17 tooth countershaft sprockets on a couple of wee Stroms and a KLR. Rpms dropped about 250 at highway speeds. There was no detectable difference in mpg. Vibration was reduced a little. I have not changed sprockets on my '20 900Tracer gt, don't see the need. And from previous posts on the subject it throws off speedo accuracy a fair amount because of ecu control. A reflash is req'd to correct. Others here will correct me if I am wrong.on any of this. I should add that the sprocjet change was not on newer.bikes with electronic mph systems.

Ride Safely!

Edited by TomTracer
Clarification.
  • Thumbsup 2

I run  a 17 on my FJ 09 and like the difference, especially at highway speeds.

Mileage is about the same (50) but I can cruise at about 500 rpm less in 6th gear.  I think I run about 4500 rpm at 70mph

Only issue is no supplier makes a damped (rubber isolated) 17.  So there is a bit more noise when the engine is freewheeling (not accelerating  or decelerating).

It is a very easy swap and on the FJ can be done with a stock length chain.   A 17 at Sprocket Center is about $20.

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Cycle World did a long term review on a Tracer GT.  They changed the gearing significantly and were happy with the results.

Taller Gearing: I felt that Yamaha missed the mark on the overall gearing as the bike spins 5,400 rpm at an indicated 80 mph with the stock 16/45 sprocket combination. Why gear this torquey triple so low? Perhaps it's our love of acceleration that dictates gearing, but out on the open road I would like an engine that just loafs along sipping fuel at a less-busy point on the tach. How about five close-ratio speeds and a really tall overdrive sixth? How about seven speeds? Eight? Those choices were out of my hands so I called Driven and ordered up a 17-tooth front sprocket and a 43-tooth rear, choices that kept the stock chain length for convenience because I'll swap back and forth depending upon the day's activities. All the charts regarding gearing choices and chain lengths are on the Driven website and customer support was excellent. The gain was 10 mph at the same engine speed, so 5,400 was now 90 mph, with 80 mph happening at 4,800 rpm. Quieter, less hectic, better fuel mileage.

https://www.cycleworld.com/long-term-tracer-900-gt-update/

• Thanks 1

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

Funny how everyone find’s different things to change on our bikes. 
I’ve been actually thinking of changing to a smaller front sprocket to liven things up. 
I don’t need to do 240kmh, but would like to get there quicker. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Heavy said:

Cycle World did a long term review on a Tracer GT.  They changed the gearing significantly and were happy with the results.

Taller Gearing: I felt that Yamaha missed the mark on the overall gearing as the bike spins 5,400 rpm at an indicated 80 mph with the stock 16/45 sprocket combination. Why gear this torquey triple so low? Perhaps it's our love of acceleration that dictates gearing, but out on the open road I would like an engine that just loafs along sipping fuel at a less-busy point on the tach. How about five close-ratio speeds and a really tall overdrive sixth? How about seven speeds? Eight? Those choices were out of my hands so I called Driven and ordered up a 17-tooth front sprocket and a 43-tooth rear, choices that kept the stock chain length for convenience because I'll swap back and forth depending upon the day's activities. All the charts regarding gearing choices and chain lengths are on the Driven website and customer support was excellent. The gain was 10 mph at the same engine speed, so 5,400 was now 90 mph, with 80 mph happening at 4,800 rpm. Quieter, less hectic, better fuel mileage.

I don't know that Yamaha necessarily missed the mark since preferred cruising rpm is very subjective.  They can only do so much with gearing on any given engine and still have it effectively usefull under various scenarios as smaller engines operate at higher rpms vs larger engines operate at lower rpms in similar conditions.  My FJ and my VFR 1200 operate very differently at the same mph, the smaller FJ generally operates between 4,500-6,500 rpm while the big VFR is usually 2,000-4,000 rpm, cruising at 80mph on the highway is at least 1,000 rpm difference.

I have tried several different sprocket combinations for various final drive ratios on this bike varying from stock 2.81, up to 3.00 for sportier riding and down to 2.76 for more relaxed highway cruising on road trips.  What I found was regardless of the final drive ratio, this motor still likes to operate over 4,000 - 4,500 rpm or higher to eliminate vibration, while on my VFR its 2,500-3,000rpm. when using the lower drive ratio's on the FJ (17/47 gearing) I don't use 6th gear unless I I'm riding over 70mph.  

The beauty of chain drive is you can modify the drive ratio to suit your needs, within reason.  Have fun. 👍

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

6 hours ago, OZVFR said:

Funny how everyone find’s different things to change on our bikes. 
I’ve been actually thinking of changing to a smaller front sprocket to liven things up. 
I don’t need to do 240kmh, but would like to get there quicker. 

I agree and thank you. 

6 hours ago, Heavy said:

Thank you for the artical. THisis waht I wa looking for. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, betoney said:

I don't know that Yamaha necessarily missed the mark since preferred cruising rpm is very subjective.  They can only do so much with gearing on any given engine and still have it effectively usefull under various scenarios as smaller engines operate at higher rpms vs larger engines operate at lower rpms in similar conditions.  My FJ and my VFR 1200 operate very differently at the same mph, the smaller FJ generally operates between 4,500-6,500 rpm while the big VFR is usually 2,000-4,000 rpm, cruising at 80mph on the highway is at least 1,000 rpm difference.

I have tried several different sprocket combinations for various final drive ratios on this bike varying from stock 2.81, up to 3.00 for sportier riding and down to 2.76 for more relaxed highway cruising on road trips.  What I found was regardless of the final drive ratio, this motor still likes to operate over 4,000 - 4,500 rpm or higher to eliminate vibration, while on my VFR its 2,500-3,000rpm. when using the lower drive ratio's on the FJ (17/47 gearing) I don't use 6th gear unless I I'm riding over 70mph.  

The beauty of chain drive is you can modify the drive ratio to suit your needs, within reason.  Have fun. 👍

I just copied and pasted from the article.  "Missed the mark" is certainly subjective.

Missed the mark with the seat?

Missed the mark with regular length levers?

Missed the mark with the stock exhaust?

All depends on the individual.  I think that's one of the fun aspects of motorcycles ... making it "your own". 😉

• Thumbsup 4

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

• Supporting Member
On 2/10/2023 at 9:19 PM, Heavy said:

That's 'cause yer all hemmed in on that little island of yours.  No need for croooooozin' gears.  😊

Yes, it's soooo tiny. 😁

Aus.thumb.jpg.93bc6033db0cde6b18c21bd51db98d81.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 4