Oil seal clutch axle came out

During a trip to Germany i noticed the right side of my Tracer was cover with some fluid. I thought it was some petrol i spilled, but after some investigation i was the oil seal at the clutch axle which came out.

Has anyone here happened to experience this before?

If i order a new oil seal, is this a repair i can do myself? Does the clutchcover needs to come off, or can the seal be replaced by only removing the clutchlever/spring/washers?

IMG_20230519_152234.jpg

Loosen off clutch cable, remove circlip and you should be able to remove the washer, lever and spring, then can get at the seal........ best refer to parts diagram as the service manual isn't all that specific.

• Supporting Member
18 hours ago, RonZuidhoek said:

During a trip to Germany i noticed the right side of my Tracer was cover with some fluid. I thought it was some petrol i spilled, but after some investigation i was the oil seal at the clutch axle which came out.

Has anyone here happened to experience this before?

If i order a new oil seal, is this a repair i can do myself? Does the clutchcover needs to come off, or can the seal be replaced by only removing the clutchlever/spring/washers?

If you remove the circlip, arm and spring is it possible to take a deep socket and press the oil seal back down evenly?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

If you remove the circlip, arm and spring is it possible to take a deep socket and press the oil seal back down evenly?

I have pressed it back, but after a few (highway) miles, it popped out again. I think i need to replace it.

2 hours ago, RaYzerman said:

Loosen off clutch cable, remove circlip and you should be able to remove the washer, lever and spring, then can get at the seal........ best refer to parts diagram as the service manual isn't all that specific.

Thanks for the advise. I have an overview out of the parts diagram.

Seal has been ordered, hopefully it will be here before the weekend.

2 hours ago, RonZuidhoek said:

I have pressed it back, but after a few (highway) miles, it popped out again. I think i need to replace it.

Hmm. Are you getting a lot of blow by? How is the bike running, does it burn oil?

Check the crankcase breather system. 
if you/someone has had the airbox off lately, then the hose which runs between the valve cover and the airbox is possibly not run correctly. 

oil seals shouldn’t just blow out of the case for no good reason….

-Skip

• Thumbsup 7

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, skipperT said:

if you/someone has had the airbox off lately, then the hose which runs between the valve cover and the airbox is possibly not run correctly. 

-Skip

My thoughts exactly Skip!

8 hours ago, skipperT said:

-Skip

The airbox hasn't been removed in the last few weeks, certainly not during this trip.

I will have a look and check the hoses between the airbox and the valve cover.

Thanks for the advise.

Overfilling would have to be crazy to get up to that level... and it doesn't really cause any "pressure" change.  If pressure pushed the seal out, check that crankcase breather as suggested, make note if the amount of oil in the airbox is excessive.  Perhaps a new seal will be a snugger fit.

BTW, what is the mileage on this beast.  Should you perhaps to a compression and leakdown test to see how much blow-by you're getting into the crankcase?