BoosterPlug on the Niken

Heli ATP

• Supporting Member

It was a cold and stormy night and I was looking through the forum when I came across 'The BoosterPlug'. I quickly ordered one, well it was winter and I wasn't spending money on gas, it arrived a week later. It was one of those late night purchases akin to buying something from an infomercial. I was bored and got my fix. Anyway six months later I find the Boosterplug in a drawer after completely forgetting about it.

I traded in a FJ-09 for my Niken. The FJ was my first real bike and was too much bike for me at the time. Slow speed parking lot skills practice were frustrating with the snatchy throttle. I eventually got use to it, but it still was a pain. When I got the Niken I was pleasently surprised at how much better the throttle response was, not perfect but a whole lot better. I'm a mode 2 rider, mode 3 is boring and mode 1 finds me trying to break speed records, (BTW I'm up to 88mph).

Today I installed 'The Boosterplug' on my Niken GT. I wish I'd done it sooner. I took the bike to a parking lot a couple of miles from home and was able to make tighter figure of 8's first attempt. I also noticed how much easier it is to 'Stop' (well almost stop) at a stop sign without putting my legs down. The slow speed throttle response is much better. It was an easy install, no skill required just some fiddling in a tight space. It took me about an hour with taking pics etc, but I could do it again in 20 minutes now that I know the drill.

My understanding of how it works is that modern bikes are programmed to read the outside air temp a little different to what it actually is for emissions purposes, to control exhaust and pollutants. The boosterplug corrects this which results in smoother throttle response, however your dash meter thermometer might show about 35f degrees low. I didn't think to look at that on my ride tonight.

Oh and BTW, I tried Mode 1 again... Look out Evil Knievil.

The product and installation instructions are available at...

Yahama products

Niken specific location

I took a pic of what you should have on hand for installation. The second pic shows a cover that needs to be removed, use a pointy thing to push in on the middle of the plastic push pin. The right side of the same cover requires a 5mm allen key and I added some thread locker to the bolt on re-install. Pic three shows how to release some fuse boxes that are in the way. Pic four shows the boosterplug hooked up before it was tidied into position. Pic five shows where I put the sensor, lightly zip tied to a brake line under the headlight.

Later I was wondering if the brake line might get warm and effect the boosterplug reading. I felt the brake line when I arrived home and it didn't seem warm but it was a short ride, any input appreciated on that. I may extend the sensor line to another location further out front if necessary.

Pic six shows the fuel pump main relay switch fuse which is tucked in the same area. I pulled that out by mistake so am posting a pic so you may not make my mistake.

BoosterPlug1.jpg

BoosterPlug3.jpg

BoosterPlug4.jpg

BoosterPlug5.jpg

BoosterPlug2.jpg

Fuel pump relay switch fuse.jpg

20230625_232032.jpg

• Thanks 1

A lot of people poo poo the booster plug and of course they never had one. I've used them on three bikes. The differences were generally subliminal yet positive. Especially at the off throttle/very little throttle position it's smoother. My last bike, a v85 guzzi, was improved when shifting due to when I let off throttle it didn't seem the throttle went to 0 it was much smoother. It also improved a tiger 1050 at low throttle positions.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
13 minutes ago, hawkster said:

A lot of people poo poo the booster plug and of course they never had one. I've used them on three bikes. The differences were generally subliminal yet positive. Especially at the off throttle/very little throttle position it's smoother.

I agree, the boosterplug is not a flash. I did not need to remap anything, increase the top speed, or open up cruise control to more gears etc. It just makes the ride more pleasent and can be reversed in a few minutes if needed.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Any long term observations with the booster plug? E.g. Did your fuel mileage decrease, Did you see your spark plugs look like they were burning much richer during inspection / replacement? Any exhaust pops from running richer? Was cold starts affected negatively?

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

Haven't pulled any of the plugs, only have 13k miles and it runs perfect. Exhaust pops come from too lean, not too rich, and my mileage per tank has not appeared to budge. It won't affect gas mileage as it works at idle circuit and low RPMS', not at our typical riding speeds/RPMS. :)

• Thumbsup 2