Thinking of getting a Tracer 900GT

Mrtwisty

Probably should have updated this really! I’ve had her for a couple of weeks, managed to put about 750 miles on her and she is an absolute belter! Way quicker than I expected, quicker than the GSA over short ish distances, not as quick anything over about 100 miles.

Handling is good, the guy that had her before used her 2 up with luggage so even at my 125kg in gear I’ve needed to soften the suspension a touch. It’s not the magic carpet that the GSA was, but very few things are. 

The engine is a peach, and the induction roar is addictive. My Hayabusas used to sound furious when you opened the throttle, this just sounds happy to be there! 🤣

I’m unconvinced about the tyres. Metzeler Roadtec, or something. They feel heavy and reluctant to change direction. I’ve fiddled with pressures to no avail so they will hopefully be going soon. Not sure what to replace them with. Toss-up between Dunlop Mutants and Pirelli Road 35’s, or whatever number we’re on. The Mutants look cooler, so they may be the choice. 😎

Other than that, I think I’ll just ride her as much as I can before the really horrible weather sets in. Now I have the luxury of not having to commute every day I shall allow myself to be a bit more of a fair weather rider. I don’t need to go out in -8c any more, so I won’t. 

• Thumbsup 3

9 hours ago, Mrtwisty said:

Probably should have updated this really! I’ve had her for a couple of weeks, managed to put about 750 miles on her and she is an absolute belter! Way quicker than I expected, quicker than the GSA over short ish distances, not as quick anything over about 100 miles.

Handling is good, the guy that had her before used her 2 up with luggage so even at my 125kg in gear I’ve needed to soften the suspension a touch. It’s not the magic carpet that the GSA was, but very few things are. 

The engine is a peach, and the induction roar is addictive. My Hayabusas used to sound furious when you opened the throttle, this just sounds happy to be there! 🤣

I’m unconvinced about the tyres. Metzeler Roadtec, or something. They feel heavy and reluctant to change direction. I’ve fiddled with pressures to no avail so they will hopefully be going soon. Not sure what to replace them with. Toss-up between Dunlop Mutants and Pirelli Road 35’s, or whatever number we’re on. The Mutants look cooler, so they may be the choice. 😎

Other than that, I think I’ll just ride her as much as I can before the really horrible weather sets in. Now I have the luxury of not having to commute every day I shall allow myself to be a bit more of a fair weather rider. I don’t need to go out in -8c any more, so I won’t. 

Good choice. You won’t be disappointed. I got my GT 2.5 months ago. That’s after 2015 and 2017 FJ09 (43000km in one year on 2017). Not single issue. At the beginning of this year I got 2019 standard Tracer 900 but few months later found great deal on low mileage 2019 GT. After 2.5 months on the road and 10 000km already I couldn’t be happier. Great bike. And cruise control is its best feature. Ride safe and enjoy it.

Edited by Rick123
  • Thumbsup 3

One thing that has just occurred on conversation with my wife. About 15 years ago I had a TDM850 which I loved, but needed about an extra 35bhp, or a touch more. That would have been my ideal bike, and I think this is what I was looking for.

That got swapped for an FJ1200, then an FJR1300, Hayabusa, Multistrada, Hayabusa, R1200GSA, Tracer. It feels a bit like I’ve come full circle, but with that extra power and a bit more ability. The TDM was the first bike I took to Cadwell Park. Good times, good memories. 

• Thumbsup 1