Thinking of getting a Tracer 900GT

Mrtwisty

Hello. I'm looking at getting a Tracer 900GT, probably a 2019/20 and just want to know what I should look out for on a good one, any problems with them I need to cure straight away? Bit about me. I'm coming from a 2014 BMW R1200GSA which saved my riding. December 2016 I was knocked off my Hayabusa and broke my back.

When it came time to ride again, I rebuilt the 'busa and got on it. 20 minutes later I couldn't feel my left foot. I thought that was me done with bikes till my old man threw me the keys to his GS and I took it for a quick spin around the block. 2 hours later, when I came back, I knew I needed a GS. Which hurt. A lot. (I got taken home from the hospital in a Watsonian Squire chair attached to an R80/7. I've been fighting off BMW's ever since!).

So. I've had my final back op, the rusted heap that was a GSA is gone from the drive, and I need a new bike. my heart says MT10 or S1000XR or R, my head says Tracer 900GT. My wife also says Tracer 900GT because it's a bit less GAAAAARGHRGRHHRG!

Also I understand there is broad agreement across the forum on the best screen, tyres, and oil to use? Fascinating!

Edit: Just thinking, I'm lying to you all already! My heart, and other parts of my anatomy, say Hayabusa, but I tried to sit on one the other day and there was a strange cracking noise and I got a blinding headache. When I got off my wife was rubbing her hand like it hurt, but they can't be linked, can they?

Edited by Mrtwisty
Additions
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum

I have a 2019 900GT because it was one of the most comfortable bikes for me ride after having 36 pieces of metal put in my neck. I traded my 2014 S1000rr in on it and broke my heart, but the Yamaha has been a great replacement. Look around for the nice one you can find and the more suspension up grades the better!

• Thumbsup 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Nothing to really watch out for major, but there was a recall for the front brake switch, nothing crazy but dealer replaced.
The OEM chain, if still original, is really hit or miss, some the o rings are garbage and start tearing out early.
There's a "gronk" you can search the forums for that, which isn't a problem, but can be rectified if it bothers you.
General consensus is to get the first valve check taken care of earlier then the oem suggested 24k miles. Somewhere in the 18-20k range for margin of error as they like to be pretty tight on the first interval.
Don't spin up your rear tire while stationary, it will throw a CEL that will lock you out of the menu's unless it's cleared, not a bid deal, can be reset with any obd2 scanner but you do need the 4pin adapter to connect.

• Thumbsup 6

Lovely stuff, guys. Thanks. I shall search for the 'gronk'.

Looking at a couple of other forums I'm a bit worried about the suspension, TBH. I'm used to the 'magic carpet' of that big BM so the comments about poor suspension are a bit of a concern. I'm not too bothered about the drop in power, but the drop in torque worries me a bit. Have to get used to revving an engine again! 

I don't commute to work any more, except for a once a month jaunt down to Bristol for a commercial meeting, so I won't be doing the 18-25k miles a year I did on the GSA, probably 4-6,000. Buying cars is so much easier than this. 🫠😭

• Premium Member

I wouldn't get an FJ or Tracer again if my life depended on it!

They're a total piece of shit and all they are are problems.

Never in my 50 years of riding have I experienced such a disappointment. And that includes a 1956 BSA Bantam 125 2smoke with a 6 V battery, incredibly stupid points assembly and cantankerous carb.

😎🤣

20201119_161605.jpg

20201119_161509.jpg

• Haha 2

I'm very aware that forums (fora?) are usually only full of the negative, which is one of the reasons I asked here. Loads of you guys actually seem to like the bikes. Coming from the world of the GS, this is new. 

I have that very model, a 2020, and I would essentially echo everything kilo3 - he covered that well.  👍

Though I would add: we found the factory suspension to be a bit suspect for our needs - two up with gear. Went with a mega-$$$ Ohlin's upgrade front and rear, that was a painful outlay of cash. But so totally worth it. 

That said, if you aren't going to overly tax the suspension like we do, this may not be an issue for you.

Another very nice benefit of this generation of Tracer GT: if you can find a spare set of FJR1300 sides cases, they fit natively on the 2019-2020 Tracer GT bikes. We downsized from the FJR, but didn't lose any carrying capacity:

HellscapeFires_sm.thumb.jpg.e95edc272c6920e292ba77469b4d1eb2.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

I had an FJR before the 2 Hayabusas and the Multistrada, and the GS. great bike, but I wanted it to be something it wasn’t. That was confirmed on a trackday at Cadwell Park. No matter the Ohlins, the power commander, the flat bars, all the other farkles, it was never going to work, so, Hayabusa. Now that was fun at Cadwell! Made the straights shorter. And not straight. 

It has its quarks….such as…

Fuel reading goes from Full to 1/2 tank. Does not show anything inbetween. I not linear like a car

For longest range mileage, must be fueled on center stand.

The menu selelection wheel is a pain to use until you get the feel for it.

The luggage supports do not allow you to get your feet all the way back on the pegs.

Mirrors can come loose at times.

It does have some cool things not mentioned like the rpm bar graph can be setup to change colors at certain RPMs. Highest RPM indicator 

A maintaince section and hat has three items to store mileage when matntance is done like oil change , tire, chain. 

A shift light….

Three grip temp settings with 10 settings per level

all I can think of right now 

• Thumbsup 2

22 hours ago, texscottyd said:

😳

How did you not end up in orbit over The Mountain?  

I sat on the tank and clenched! 

It helped that I had a serious moment in Hall Bends a few years prior and never really got my mojo back completely, so I was a bit ginger anyway. 

• Thumbsup 1

I put 28,000 miles on mine in just over 2 years.  Had a CBR600RR then a Kawasaki ZX6R 636 and after I retired traded the ZX6R on a BMW F800GT.  All those bikes turned in very nicely.  The BMW had a very plush ride compared to the sport bikes but it did handle well.  I never really got along with the engine though.  It was a very competent bike but the engine just needed more at times.  One time was headed up hill at 75MPH into a stiff wind and rolled on it and found was nearly pinned already.  Could have downshifted but didn't bother.  Sometimes passing on 2 lane roads in the western roads needed 2 or 3 downshifts to find the power.  After 2 years and some great trips and adventures together traded it on a 2020 Tracer 900GT.  Wow beautiful engine!  Not a screamer with big power up top like the ZX6R but great power everywhere that built as the revs went up.  On the I4 screamers everyone knew when I was out playing.  The Tracer not as much but still a great sound.  

Riding position was more relaxed but still sporty.  I ran the stock suspension but dropped the front forks 7mm.  Why 7mm you ask?  That was the easiest place to get both sides to at the same time but it worked great.  Upped the preload and tightened the damping.  It wasn't perfect but it was a great compromise.  Interstate cruising was good but still fun in the mountains.  I've found generally what is great in the mountains (CBR600RR) is not so great on the long interstate rides or even the quick 2 lane roads.  For me my 2020 Tracer 900GT did a spectacular job of being good in the mountains even fully loaded, good on the interstate grinds (which I did as seldom as possible) and on undulating 2 lane roads was compliant without wallowing.  Only thing it didn't particularly like was gravel roads - may have been me.

• Thumbsup 2

I wanted something light and sporty that could double as a reliable long distance mount.  The Tracer 900 GT has been just about the perfect bike for this.  One issue I had was the factory chain started shedding o-rings by 7000 miles, but this has been well documented.  Yamaha got a batch of bad chains from their supplier.  My only other gripe is that there is not enough room to get your feet back far enough to be on the balls of your feet so that your toes do not drag at deep lean angles.  I found that by turning my heels outward I can remedy this, but it is a bit awkward.  The stock seat was not to my liking, but everyone's butt is different, and some have no issue.  I sent my seat off and had it modified to suit my own backside.  Money well spent.  I also did some suspension upgrades but do this to all of my bikes.

The riding position is very comfortable, all the features of the bike work very well and it has been completely reliable over 24,000 miles so far.  The engine is an absolute gem with good torque delivery.  It absolutely loves to rip to the higher rpm's but with the way it delivers it's torque it does not need to be wound up to deliver strong acceleration.  If Yamaha decides to stuff this triple engine into a sport bike, I might be doing track days again!!!

I can load the bags and tour for days in comfort and still keep up with the sport bikes in the twisties.  

• Thumbsup 3

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.