Suggestions for the best portable battery powerpack needed please

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, betoney said:

That is EXACTLY why I recently replaced the battery on my '15, it still worked and started with just a quick press of the start button, every time but... I also ride a lot of solo rides into some pretty remote areas and just didn't want to push my luck, better safe than sorry.

Out of interest/curiosity, how old was the battery when you changed it?

• Supporting Member
43 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Out of interest/curiosity, how old was the battery when you changed it?

Mine was the original battery from my 2015 model, I swapped it this past May. 

Honestly, if I stayed closer to home I would still be using the original, but most of my rides have been overnight road trips out of state, hundreds of miles from home.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

Mine was the original battery from my 2015 model, I swapped it this past May. 

Honestly, if I stayed closer to home I would still be using the original, but most of my rides have been overnight road trips out of state, hundreds of miles from home.

OK and wow.  That's pretty good mileage then out of any battery!

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

I know, it's scary!

I still have the original in mine.

Figure next spring it'll be time.

Bri- whose battery did you choose

I'm considering Lithium Iron....

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

FWIW, I don't know if this has any bearing on battery life but I use a Battery Tender on occasion but I never leave it on full time.  If I'm going for a ride, I might plug in the tender the night before and take it off the next morning.  Even during winter, I still ride once every 3 weeks or so, mine doesn't sit completely unused.  I'm sure there is nothing wrong with leaving it connected for months at a time though, that's just my process.

3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I know, it's scary!

I still have the original in mine.

Figure next spring it'll be time.

Bri- whose battery did you choose

I'm considering Lithium Iron....

I replaced it with an oem Yausa battery.  I have read many battery related issues on different bike forums with using aftermarket or 'budget' batteries (i.e. Batteries+ or Amazon) so I have always stuck with Yausa.  I haven't done much research or given much thought to Lithium but I just don't replace vehicle batteries that often, even my 2001 pickup has had one battery replacement (about 12 years ago) in 170,000 miles.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, betoney said:

FWIW, I don't know if this has any bearing on battery life but I use a Battery Tender on occasion but I never leave it on full time...

I am sure there are several factors to keeping the battery healthy and lasting. I don't ride at all during winter months (Dec-Mar), and the battery is on the tender full time. I leave it on the bike and pull the main fuse. During the riding season it is never on the tender. 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, betoney said:

I replaced it with an oem Yausa battery.  I have read many battery related issues on different bike forums with using aftermarket or 'budget' batteries (i.e. Batteries+ or Amazon) so I have always stuck with Yausa.

Agree... would not want to cheap out on something as critical as a battery. Could totally ruin the day... or worse. Having said that... holding on to one well beyond reasonable life expectancy probably not a good idea either... note to self. 😁

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Antigravity makes good ones that also come with an accessary cable that you can attach to your battery and leave in a good location so that you can jump start without removing any body parts. I bought the xp-10 HD, which comes with many charging cable types to allow you to charge cell phones etc. MICRO-START Jump-Starter Kits – Antigravity Batteries

• Thumbsup 1

I may have said this in here already, but if not I’ve had much better luck with batteries NOT leaving them on a Tender all winter and instead charging for an overnight every few weeks during winter storage. Batteries “stored” that way will go at least another year, and sometimes two or three additional years, then if I Tender them and leave. And yes, I’ve tried different Tenders, from different manufacturers and it’s been the same result.

It also seems, again, in my experience of storing motorcycles over 40 years, that they tend to die out more normally than catastrophically when not full time Tendered. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/9/2023 at 9:18 AM, The Pilot said:

I use an Antigravity restart battery, it senses if it is discharging too much and will shut off the battery. It always keeps enough stored to start the bike, you just push a button on the battery… think built in jump pack. Also significantly lighter than the standard battery.

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/antigravity-atz10-yamaha-fz-09-mt-09-14-18-lithium-ion-battery/

Ditto.  Mine has been in my FJ since 2018, and I've yet to need that Restart feature.  Comforting to know it's there, though..

But yeah, a 9 year old OE battery won't live for too much longer.  Just replace it with a new Lithium one with the backup / restart capability..