15 Hand guard replacement

• Supporting Member

Barkbusters Storm single-point mount are fantastic. I was skeptical of the single-point mount, but they're solid and protect well. They replaced the KTM guards I had on the bike... and they worked okay. I prefer the simplicity and improved coverage of the Barkbusters.

Unrelated... Wheels on the bike in your profile pic look interesting/unique. Yours?... have pics?

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

I imagine it took some effort, but the bike looks sharp. 👍

You will need to get the guards/plastics, mounts/spines, and the bar-end adapters for a complete solution. I suspect the $45 will only buy you the plastics.

Yep took some time. Never understood why the Yams are so blah. With some rethinking the design, they can hold their own.

Hmmmm Thought the guards might be a plug and play.

Once I get the BB , I will see what is  simple  and do-able.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, How2 said:

Hmmmm Thought the guards might be a plug and play. Once I get the BB , I will see what is  simple  and do-able.

They are... but you have to get the kit. The plastics are replaceable, so they're available/sold on their own. The kit (here) will work as-is, but you can also get bar-end adapters (here) to replace the OE hardware for a more secure/cleaner fit.

• Premium Member

KTM seem to be the most popular. 

I have Givis that (1) have more coverage than stock (2) fit perfectly, no mods and (3) fit with the windshield. 

Twisted Throttle and RevZilla show backorder but I'm guessing that they're out of production. Maybe eBay?

https://twistedthrottle.com/shop/uncategorized/givi-hand-guard-deflectors-for-yamaha-fj09-15-17/

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2023 at 4:35 PM, piotrek said:

They are... but you have to get the kit. The plastics are replaceable, so they're available/sold on their own. The kit (here) will work as-is, but you can also get bar-end adapters (here) to replace the OE hardware for a more secure/cleaner fit.

Ok- I have some time now for this and am finding this post is the most complete take on the project.  Tinkered with the OE arrangement, but that is definitely not rig-able.

The GIVI looks the simplest and most cost effective, especially if the clear is wrapped in vinyl for protection and durability.

Thanks for feedback 

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2023 at 1:04 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

Do you really think the BB cover better than the ktm, which are bigger. I have the ktm and the BB plastics and the latter are smaller.  I just don't have the bb brackets. Yet.

I've just got the BB guards and brackets from Revzilla,  found them both in their ' openbox/ returns ' sales section , both at reduced cost ( I believe 40 % less ) 

As I remember it , they had 1 of each left for the FJ09 

• Thanks 1