Lube my chain!

priboy

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Ta!  I know Team Moto Honda - right opposite my Yamaha dealership (same ownership).
L of S

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am a former shafty like so many others. I like the idea of that auto lube thing. Can someone point me in the right direction for reading reviews or possibly what to purchase?

• Premium Member
 Can someone point me in the right direction for reading reviews or possibly what to purchase?
I use a Scottoiler, some info here.
And I have Tutoro. The Scottoiler is the best known and receives good reviews, as does Tutoro. I selected the Turoro because: It is well made
It is simple to install - no vacuum line or power line
The very simple and elegant operation ensures it only opens when you ride. The Scottoiler eSystem achieves the same, by means of a much more expensive way.
I did not want to install any more controllers on my motorcycle.

It works so far. I think the Scottoiler has better quality hardware for mounting the nozzle or "injector', other than that the Tutoro is quality.

• Premium Member
another Tutoro fan here - made in my home county so I have been to the factory
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I had a BMW F650st and used the Chain Wax and was very consistent at applying every 300 miles or so. I never got over 9,000 out of a chain, as others would hit the 15,000 mark and some would get 24,000. That gets expensive, changing the chain all the time. I also never cleaned the chain, which appears to be an important task as my FJ's chain gets cleaned all the time and at 8,000 the sag has only increased by 1/8" and the chain look great. I have been cleaning the chain, while on the bike, with WD40, and using Dumonde Tech BHP at 6-800 mile intervals. I apply a light coating with a toothbrush. I would say cleaning the chain is as important as oiling the chain for longevity.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

[span id=transmark][/span] I have already ordered exactly the same brush. Just that mine will be blue (it has to go with the colour of the bike  :D )

While we are on the subject of chain cleaning. Has anybody tried something like this ? It looks to be less messy, because the cleaning fluid is collecting neatly at the bottom.

• Premium Member
[span id=transmark][/span] I have already ordered exactly the same brush. Just that mine will be blue (it has to go with the colour of the bike  :D )

While we are on the subject of chain cleaning. Has anybody tried something like this ? It looks to be less messy, because the cleaning fluid is collecting neatly at the bottom.

Please test it and review it for us :). Seems a good idea, depends how well the idea is executed.

• Premium Member

Please test it and review it for us :). Seems a good idea, depends how well the idea is executed.
I bought a similar looking one from Ebay for under two quid. As with all other cleaning products bought with the intention of cleaning the bike at some stage, it remains unused...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member

I haven't used that, but I have used something very similar for bicycle chains.  The good: It did a great job cleaning the chain.  The bad: It broke pretty quickly.  I ended up going back to using a toothbrush and WD-40 (the micro-sized version of what I do for the motorcycle chain).

Hopefully this is better constructed because it would be nice to have one that worked well.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I'll do that. Just don't expect the review very soon :)
I am leaning more towards dry lube. I intend to do as little wet riding as possible  and I read that the dry lube is less attractive f[span id=transmark][/span]or dirt.

300-500 miles is my normal interval for chain cleaning/lubing. To me, chain lubes are personal preference products much like bike oils. I use WD-40 as a wipe down to prevent surface rust on the side plates of the chain. Not a fan of Chain Wax for long term use as it builds up around counter shaft sprocket & is difficult to remove from there.

Currently am using Q-Plus Chain Lube which leaves a dry layer of almost transparent lube. Without rain it can go 5 to 600km before the next lube cycle. It is the lowest cost aerosol chain wax I can get my hands on. Bought it off Ace Hardware. O-ring safe with Extreme Pressure (EP) additives. Does not fling off and dirty the rim. Chain remains clean without dirt attraction.

I have tried the DuPont Teflon Multipurpose Lube, the new type (old type is dry), which leaves a wet layer of lube. It is not bad but does fling off some and does attract a little dirt. Not rain friendly as it washes off.

I have also used 80W90 manual gear oil. This thing is good and does not wash off easily in rain but a messy rim, chain is the result. I have also mixed ATF with this gear oil to which messy rim and chain are the results.

Conclusion: Dry wax is the best if a clean chain and rims are important. If you are riding for many hours, it is good to lube the chain every alternate fuel stop. If you encounter rain along the way, lube it on the next fuel stop.

My buddy swore on CRC TAC-2, looks wet after applying, attracts some dirt n fling a little but SURVIVES torrential rain.

NOTE: Still riding the Versys 650 (cause nobody sells the FJ in Malaysia yet)
ACE HARDWARE - in a Malaysian store. Not sure US Ace carries Q-Plus

I know I'm the minority, but I DO NOT MAINTAIN MY CHAINS at all. I ride 250+ days a year and live in the 'burbs of Seattle, so we get plenty of rain (except this year). Chains (like tires) have improved significantly over the years and I'm now getting 15,000 miles on a chain that has seen hundreds of days of rain and has never been oiled.

With an o-ring (x-ring, etc.) chain they are sealed, so I don't see how oiling the outside of the chain is going to 'lube' the chain. I can understand that it would protect the chain from getting water/rain past the o-rings.

I don't see how it is worth my time to maintain a chain. I usually pay between $200-250 for a chain and I change sprockets every other chain. Usually the first chain on any of my bikes get new sprockets just for a gear ratio change, but usually it's every other chain.

Maybe my logic is flawed (very likely). I don't know maybe I'd get 30K miles if I did maintain my chain. But until I start hearing about a lot of people getting 30K-40K out of a chain I'm just going to replace them not maintain them.

While your cleaning/lubing your chain, I'll be out ridin'!

• Premium Member
I know I'm the minority, but I DO NOT MAINTAIN MY CHAINS at all. I ride 250+ days a year and live in the 'burbs of Seattle, so we get plenty of rain (except this year). Chains (like tires) have improved significantly over the years and I'm now getting 15,000 miles on a chain that has seen hundreds of days of rain and has never been oiled. 
With an o-ring (x-ring, etc.) chain they are sealed, so I don't see how oiling the outside of the chain is going to 'lube' the chain. I can understand that it would protect the chain from getting water/rain past the o-rings.

I don't see how it is worth my time to maintain a chain. I usually pay between $200-250 for a chain and I change sprockets every other chain. Usually the first chain on any of my bikes get new sprockets just for a gear ratio change, but usually it's every other chain.

Maybe my logic is flawed (very likely). I don't know maybe I'd get 30K miles if I did maintain my chain. But until I start hearing about a lot of people getting 30K-40K out of a chain I'm just going to replace them not maintain them.

While your cleaning/lubing your chain, I'll be out ridin'!
Perhaps you are fortunate. The manufacturers still specify chain cleaning and lubrication, if one of them could sell a maintenance free chain it would be a marketing advantage. So I guess it is still necessary. On my previous bike I did not have a chain oiler. In winter, when it is dark when I leave or return home I used to leave chain lubrication till the weekend. My chain and sprockets deteriorated very quickly. I guess it collects dirt which becomes a grinding paste with water, especially salt water. I also understand (but I don't know this for a fact) that the o-ring seals, when dry, shrinks or perishes and dirt can then enter the rollers and they run dry. While I understand that you feel that lubricating the chain on the outside has no advantage I'm not sure. I think a chain with a film of oil will run more easily over the sprocket that a dry, rusted chain. But if it works for you I am not going to argue.

Archived